Player Discussion: Kieffer Bellows *Waived - Claimed by Philadelphia Flyers*

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think a lot depends on if the Isles are in playoff contention this year. Lou kept JVR and Bozak on the roster last year losing them to free agency last year. If the Isles are in contention, I would guess Lou may keep them until the end of the year. Going fwd I can see maybe one player Lee perhaps taking a discount to stay with the Isles. But maybe both are gone.

If Bellows has another strong game tonight, with Wahlstrom in the pipeline and Beauvillier coming off a 20 goal sophomore year. The Isles are well stocked with potential quality wingers. It may be the best thing for the Isles to move both Lee and Eberle at the TD. They would bring in atleast 2nd rd picks, and maybe first rd picks.

If they are out of it by November or so, I’d rather move them before the new year and just give more AHL guys looks.

Any of the following...Bellows/Dal Colle/Eansor/Fritz/Ho-Sang/St. Denis/Koivula

You’re not gonna have enought time to give all those guys looks if you wait until the deadline to start selling off, and you’ll decrease your chances of getting Hughes.

Hitchcock would need an NHL deal, believe he’s only on an AHL deal at the moment.

Guys like the Bernier/Bourque Bros/Gaudreau/Gionta/Lorito/Sislo can hold down the fort until playoffs (hopefully).

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I agree. Both are 28. They are either in this teams future or they aren't.

The feeling is definitely there though that Lou thinks Bellows next year is a more than suitable Lee replacement.
Yeah, because everybody scores 40 goals and is a leader in the locker room by year two.
Trade Lee to the Rangers, then see how many he scores against us in the next 5 years.

Reactions: BTrotts19

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Yeah, because everybody scores 40 goals and is a leader in the locker room by year two.
Trade Lee to the Rangers, then see how many he scores against us in the next 5 years.

I love Lee, but the fact is the Isles aren't gonna be doing anything for the next 2-3 years. Trading Lee right now would get us the max value possible out of him. He will never have more value, and by the time we are competing he will be in his early 30's. For a guy that plays like he does, he is likely to slowdown.

I think we should keep one of Eberle/Lee and trade the other. Right now I'm leaning towards keeping Eberle. He meshes perfectly with Barzal.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I love Lee, but the fact is the Isles aren't gonna be doing anything for the next 2-3 years. Trading Lee right now would get us the max value possible out of him. He will never have more value, and by the time we are competing he will be in his early 30's. For a guy that plays like he does, he is likely to slowdown.

I think we should keep one of Eberle/Lee and trade the other. Right now I'm leaning towards keeping Eberle. He meshes perfectly with Barzal.

I would trade both Lee and Eberle.

The same reasons as to why I would part with Lee apply to Eberle as well, don't give long term contracts to players that will decline like every other player that hits 30.

Barzal is our star, he doesn't need Eberle or anyone else to hold his hand anymore. Like Bellows is to Lee, Wahlstrom is the heir apparent to Eberle.

Last edited:

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

The same reasons as to why I would part with Lee apply to Eberle as well, don't give long term contracts to players that will decline like every other player that hits 30.

Barzal is our star, he doesn't need Eberle or anyone else to hold his hand anymore. Like Bellows is to Lee, Wahlstrom is the heir apparent to Eberle.

I don't disagree, it would be nice if we can get a 1st+ for each of Eberle and Lee. Go into the draft with 3 first round picks, one of which will likely be top 10. Maybe Nelson has a great season and we can get a first for him as well. It would really stock the farm system with high end prospects, and it would give Lou the ammo to go out and make a trade for a young stud.

We cannot lose these guys for nothing, that goes for all pending UFAs. It's been a disaster losing our best players for nothing.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't disagree, it would be nice if we can get a 1st+ for each of Eberle and Lee. Go into the draft with 3 first round picks, one of which will likely be top 10. Maybe Nelson has a great season and we can get a first for him as well. It would really stock the farm system with high end prospects, and it would give Lou the ammo to go out and make a trade for a young stud.

We cannot lose these guys for nothing, that goes for all pending UFAs. It's been a disaster losing our best players for nothing.

If Isles trade one or both of Lee or Eberle. I believe Bellows will be the player that drives the bus on this. Right now, he is certainly in the mix to make the team. And if he continues to impress in preseason, Lou may not wait until the deadline to do it. A full year with salary retention for Eberle could fetch a good return.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008

1 - 5 - Kirby Dach (proverbial 5th overall pick, but this time we get an elite prospect)
1 - 20 - Alex Vlasic
1 - 23 - Josh Williams

Sign Artemi Panarin 10x7, extend Kovar to be the 3rd line C. Sign Rinne, who is probably going to be done in Nashville if he falters again in the playoffs.

Beauvillier - Barzal - Bailey
Panarin - Dach - Wahlstrom
Bellows - Kovar - Komarov
Ladd/Martin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck

Leddy - Pulock
Toews - Boychuk
Hickey - Aho
Pelech - Mayfield

Rinne/Greiss

Profit.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
If they are out of it by November or so, I’d rather move them before the new year and just give more AHL guys looks.

Any of the following...Bellows/Dal Colle/Eansor/Fritz/Ho-Sang/St. Denis/Koivula

You’re not gonna have enought time to give all those guys looks if you wait until the deadline to start selling off, and you’ll decrease your chances of getting Hughes.

Hitchcock would need an NHL deal, believe he’s only on an AHL deal at the moment.

Guys like the Bernier/Bourque Bros/Gaudreau/Gionta/Lorito/Sislo can hold down the fort until playoffs (hopefully).

Because of the new lottery structure, I DO NOT want this team to come in dead last. And I'd venture to guess that no team wants to come in dead last because it will be wrenching to do all that losing and lose the first pick, which is probable (80%). In the last two lotteries, we've seen three teams scheduled to pick outside of the top 10 (Calgary in 2018, and Philadelphia and New Jersey in 2017) win the lottery and pick in the top 3, NJ picking 1st in 2017. So, to the NHL's credit, tanking guarantees nothing.

Playing to win is something that all teams may as well do. So, dispensing of guys like Eberle and Lee that far ahead of the deadline makes little to no sense on less there's a team trying to get ahead of the curve and offering a good return that include a good player.

This is not the old days where finishing dead last all but assures a lottery win. Buffalo lost out on McDavid, but the 2nd time was a charm with Dahlin, and watching him play yesterday, he's insane. He looked like Paul Coffey mixed with Niklas Lidstrom an Brian Leetch. His puck control and ability to hold the blue line in the offensive end, if yesterday's preseason game was any indication, he could be the best in the league in that department.

I want Jack Hughes as much as anyone, but everyone's going to lose their cool if we finish dead last and lose the lottery, which again, it's probable that the team finishing dead last will not be scheduled to pick first after the lottery. Might as well give it what you've got on the ice until the very end.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Because of the new lottery structure, I DO NOT want this team to come in dead last. And I'd venture to guess that no team wants to come in dead last because it will be wrenching to do all that losing and lose the first pick, which is probable (80%). In the last two lotteries, we've seen three teams scheduled to pick outside of the top 10 (Calgary in 2018, and Philadelphia and New Jersey in 2017) win the lottery and pick in the top 3, NJ picking 1st in 2017. So, to the NHL's credit, tanking guarantees nothing.

Playing to win is something that all teams may as well do. So, dispensing of guys like Eberle and Lee that far ahead of the deadline makes little to no sense on less there's a team trying to get ahead of the curve and offering a good return that include a good player.

This is not the old days where finishing dead last all but assures a lottery win. Buffalo lost out on McDavid, but the 2nd time was a charm with Dahlin, and watching him play yesterday, he's insane. He looked like Paul Coffey mixed with Niklas Lidstrom an Brian Leetch. His puck control and ability to hold the blue line in the offensive end, if yesterday's preseason game was any indication, he could be the best in the league in that department.

I want Jack Hughes as much as anyone, but everyone's going to lose their cool if we finish dead last and lose the lottery, which again, it's probable that the team finishing dead last will not be scheduled to pick first after the lottery. Might as well give it what you've got on the ice until the very end.
This is not about losing for Hughes. This is about losing for a guarantee at 1 through 5. Any one of those spots are going to guarantee you a stud center. I don't disagree with you about the lottery system and the impact on any given draft year but this draft is special. If you make it even into the top 10 you are going to get someone who in a normal year would be top 5 if not top 3. If you are going to tank even with the lottery system for picks 1 through 3 this is the year to do it.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
This is not about losing for Hughes. This is about losing for a guarantee at 1 through 5. Any one of those spots are going to guarantee you a stud center. I don't disagree with you about the lottery system and the impact on any given draft year but this draft is special. If you make it even into the top 10 you are going to get someone who in a normal year would be top 5 if not top 3. If you are going to tank even with the lottery system for picks 1 through 3 this is the year to do it.

Every year that this franchise fails and is near the bottom, delays the the rebuilding of any respect or credibility around the league. This is compounded by the fact we now have LL @ Trots leading us. This team needs to show the league that the new leadership will make an immediate difference going forward.

Another bottom five finish, and trading productive players for future Stromes, Reinharts, Dalcoles is not a sure fire way to build credibility nor guarantees success.

I cannot believe LL at 75 is looking for a minimum 5-7 year rebuild through draft picks, nor Ledecky or Malkin accepting 9-11k attendance figures.

How is that working for Edmonton who was actually was able to aquire a generational player with McDavid and a pile of top 5 picks?

Before we gut this team, it may be wise to see what this youth core can actually do at a professional level.

The mindset to lose should never be accepted nor become a culture, for either the fans or especially players.

Last edited:

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
Every year that this franchise fails delays the the rebuilding of any respect or credibility around the league. This is compounded by the fact we now have LL @ Trots leading us. This team needs to show the league that the new leadership will make a difference going forward.

Another bottom five finish, and trading productive players for future Stromes, Reinharts, Dalcoles is not a sure fire way to build credibility or guarantee success.

I cannot believe LL at 75 is looking for a minimum 5-7 year rebuild through draft picks, nor Ledecky or Malkin accepting 9-11k attendance figures.

How is that working for Edmonton who was actually was able to aquire a generational player with McDavid?

Before we gut this team, it may be wise to see what this youth core can actually do at a professional level.

The mindset to lose should never be accepted nor become a culture, for either the fans or especially players.

Isn't 75 the new 38?

Reactions: ndgolden

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008

With our luck, we will trade Lee and Eberle for picks that become MDC2 and MDC3. These guys are here to play hockey, which is not a single player game. I would trade Nelson yesterday(if we could), but try to build around Eberle and Lee unless a true #1 dman(not a next Orr prospect) came back.
Maybe I am the only one remembering how Lee led us in scoring last time Pajama Boy went down, or how Eberle waits just the right amount of time to beat the goalie yet again.
I am sick and tired of waiting for the future which never materializes, let Bellows and Wahlstrom push them out IF THEY CAN.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Every year that this franchise fails and is near the bottom, delays the the rebuilding of any respect or credibility around the league. This is compounded by the fact we now have LL @ Trots leading us. This team needs to show the league that the new leadership will make an immediate difference going forward.

Another bottom five finish, and trading productive players for future Stromes, Reinharts, Dalcoles is not a sure fire way to build credibility nor guarantees success.

How is that working for Edmonton who was actually was able to aquire a generational player with McDavid and a pile of top 5 picks?

Yet, there are teams who had a handful of top five finishes that has flourished and went on to be perennial contenders.

The issue is not just hitting on top picks, but also hitting on some late round picks as well, also elements like having a strong front office, good coaching, hot goaltending at the right times, etc...

For every Oilers/Yotes there are Penguins/Blackhawks

Reactions: IODCPiper

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
How about instead of being condescending you tell me? The bulk of listed players are AHL depth

Sorry. I didn't mean to be condescending. I was agreeing with you and actually was referring to some of the other posts in this thread. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
If Bellows makes the team he scores 20-25 this year.

And what center would be feeding him the puck by chance? This team has all the makings of lower production for all those not playing with #13. Players are going to have to be able to finish and create on their own merits as we have serious issues at center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad