Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Libor Sulak

Votes: 119 83.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Hicketts and Sulak. After that it’s tricky because we don’t want to put someone in the nhl too early. Cholo’s defense needs work. Hronek self admittedly needs to add confidence.

Reactions: Oddbob

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Based from what I have read from some of you and others about the performance in Training Camp/Exhibition Games, I went with Libor Sulak, Joe Hicketts and Dennis Cholowski! They all have sounded good, while Hronek not so much, and he himself even admits he doesn't feel comfortable with his game at this point. Sounds like he could use at least another partial AHL season under his belt. Cholowski is younger, but he sounds like he is poised with the puck, Hicketts competes hard, and Sulak sounds like he has been maybe are best D in the preseason so far.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Let's see how a poll would go.

Vote for three options. Not just for one.

It probably will be...

Kronwall - KID
KID -
Daley
KID - Jensen

...because of the injuries.

Shouldn't Daley be top pair over Kronwall at this point, Kronwall's game has been a shadow of its former self the last 2 seasons.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Shouldn't Daley be top pair over Kronwall at this point, Kronwall's game has been a shadow of its former self the last 2 seasons.

Kronwall can play on literally one leg but is still easily 2x better than crap like Jensen or Daley. They're mobile and have good speed but their hockey IQ is about as low as it gets. They couldn't play a solid game to save their dear lifes. Daley is easily one of the most overrated NHL-players in recent years. Like Jensen he loses just about every puck battle and has zero clue how to position himself against the puck. He's played like that all career long.

In my view, just about everybody from last years defense besides DeKeyser, Green and Kronwall can get lost. The kids are way better. I'd even happily see Lashoff play over Daley or Jensen.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Kronwall can play on literally one leg but is still easily 2x better than crap like Jensen or Daley. They're mobile and have good speed but their hockey IQ is about as low as it gets. They couldn't play a solid game to save their dear lifes. Daley is easily one of the most overrated NHL-players in recent years. Just like Jensen he loses just about every puck battle and has zero clue how to position himself against the puck. He's played like that all career long.

Believe me, not saying Daley is anything special, but like it or not, he was better than Kronwall last year. Daley is at least noticeable in a good way sometimes, but Kronwall, because of his knees just can't bring it like he needs to, to be effective anymore.

And then there is Jensen, who even on our team, should be about 25 or 26 on the depth chart!

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Believe me, not saying Daley is anything special, but like it or not, he was better than Kronwall last year. Daley is at least noticeable in a good way sometimes, but Kronwall, because of his knees just can't bring it like he needs to, to be effective anymore.

And then there is Jensen, who even on our team, should be about 25 or 26 on the depth chart!

Kronwall would be fine playing 10-15mins on the 3rd pairing. Daley isn't even good enough for that. And yeah...you notice him because of his speed and decent puckhandling but that's about it. He's basically Jensen with a bit more offensive upside.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I don’t understand the Hicketts love. What is it about him? He seems very fragile and indecisive to me.

Cholo, Hronek and Sulak should be the obvious choices.

What's not to like? He competes hard, and is willing to engage physically and offensively. How is he fragile? Players who are fragile don't initiate hitting, and physical contact, they run from it, and Hicketts far from runs away. I think most are just seeing, oh, he's 5"8" or whatever, and writing him off, like someone couldn't possibly make it at that height.

marcmadsen

Sep 29, 2016
For me, the two that I think are legit ready are Hicketts and Sulak. Due to injuries, I voted for Cholowski to be in the opening night lineup as well.

I don't understand the people who are anti-Hicketts. I don't think he'll be a superstar or anything, but he has good gap control, makes reasonable decisions with the puck, has a high effort level, can skate and engages opponents. He wins more than his share of puck battles too.

I think Sulak is well above the pack. He skates well, has a bit of an edge, and transports the puck well. He is sometimes a bit loose with his passing but I think that'll settle down.

For me, both Cholowski and Hronek would benefit from time with GR. Could they play in the NHL right now? Yeah, sure they probably could but I don't know how well they'd fair. They'd probably do all right. But I think with more time in GR when they eventually come up they'll be further ahead

Reactions: Oddbob

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

I don't care about pairs. Just think the TOP6.

So far, Kronwall has looked good on 18-minute ice-time. He could be on 3rd pair.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Cholowski and Sulak have probably earned it most. Hicketts makes sense as the #7 D.

It would probably be good for Zadina to have Hronek in GR with him, they should do damage on the 1st PP unit together.

Seems like these guys are all going to get a look, the vets starting off dinged up means there should be ample opportunity for these guys to get some games in.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Went with Hicketts, Sulak, and Hronek.

Let Cholowski and Saarijarvi play together in Grand Rapids for a bit, and then see how it shakes out; both are on the cusp of making it. Honestly, I'd keep Hronek down too, but you MADE me pick three.

Edit: Regarding Hicketts, I don't think he's necessarily better than the other guys, the Wings just need to see what they've got in him. Can he handle the big leagues for an extended amount of time? Will he be trade bait, or simply waiver fodder? Just like with Jensen, it's time for him to step up, or go elsewhere.

Last edited:

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I don’t understand the Hicketts love. What is it about him? He seems very fragile and indecisive to me.

Cholo, Hronek and Sulak should be the obvious choices.
No one likes Hicketts more than Hronek/cholo. It’s just that hicketts is more of a finished product. His ceiling is probably a 3rd liner. Hronek/cholo have much higher ceilings but could both benefit from a little time in the A.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I voted Hicketts, Hronek and Sulak. I think Hicketts and Sulak are both old enough that they need their shot now (and to be moved if they miss). Personally I don't care much about Hicketts. I can't imagine him in an NHL top 4, so if he is sent down I wouldn't mind.

Cholowski has looked better than Hronek in preseason, but I think everyone is overweighing that in their assessment. Hronek had a great AHL campaign last year. He needs to adjust to NHL speed and he can't do that in the AHL. Cholowski hasn't played AHL hockey yet; let him get some experience there. Despite what we've seen in preseason I think Hronek is more ready.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I voted Hicketts, Hronek and Sulak. I think Hicketts and Sulak are both old enough that they need their shot now (and to be moved if they miss). Personally I don't care much about Hicketts. I can't imagine him in an NHL top 4, so if he is sent down I wouldn't mind.

Cholowski has looked better than Hronek in preseason, but I think everyone is overweighing that in their assessment. Hronek had a great AHL campaign last year. He needs to adjust to NHL speed and he can't do that in the AHL. Cholowski hasn't played AHL hockey yet; let him get some experience there. Despite what we've seen in preseason I think Hronek is more ready.

I don't agree. Hronek doesn't have the confidence to play NHL right now...he admitted it himself. He has looked pretty bad until now and I don't think it's gonna change. Confidence is what you get by scoring, winning and dominating opponents. He won't be able to do that with the Wings this season. He also has to get stronger since he was overmatched more often than not. Speed I don't think is a problem. He was often too late but that's more of positioning than a speed issue. Also something you can work on in the AHL. I wouldn't call up Hronek and Zadina this season. Not at all. They need a full AHL season and big minutes. Playing limited minutes on a losing team would hurt their development.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
To be honest, if a guy says he hasn't gotten comfortable yet and has not been playing particularly well I'm not ready to pencil him into the NHL roster. Cholo, Sulak, Hicketts.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I thought I heard they expect DDK to be ready, is that no longer the case? I heard he was going to play the final preseason game and be ready for the opener if all goes well in the preseason game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad