KHL Trades, Rumors and Free Agent Talk Part 6

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
So Händemarks contract was mutually terminated. I don't follow SKA closely, how had he been doing until today? Great player in the SHL tho
He wasn't any supergood for SKA though and they had to clear space for Gusev. And SKA certainly expects way more production from Gusev than Handemark's 6pts in 15 GP. He is also around the bottom of the team's +/- stat. All the salty comments aside If I am Gusev I sign with SKA and not Ufa. And no matter how much people try to accuse SKA of circumvention they don't. But yes, they just drop guys like Handemark when they feel like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Section Netherlands

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So Händemarks contract was mutually terminated. I don't follow SKA closely, how had he been doing until today? Great player in the SHL tho
I think he has been doing fine but even SKA realized they have too many players and he was the most redundant import. It is also probably related to 1) Morozov probably not actually going anywhere, 2) the possibility of adding someone who didn't make the NHL. In a way, even getting Gusev could have had a trickle-down effect on the situation as LW is getting very crowded and Khusnutdinov might be moved back to center.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
He wasn't any supergood for SKA though and they had to clear space for Gusev. And SKA certainly expects way more production from Gusev than Handemark's 6pts in 15 GP. He is also around the bottom of the team's +/- stat. All the salty comments aside If I am Gusev I sign with SKA and not Ufa. And no matter how much people try to accuse SKA of circumvention they don't. But yes, they just drop guys like Handemark when they feel like it.

6 points in 15 games from a guy who is huge and physical i would say is good. in SHL he is very good 2C. i think he would be good 3C in KHL

I think he has been doing fine but even SKA realized they have too many players and he was the most redundant import. It is also probably related to 1) Morozov probably not actually going anywhere, 2) the possibility of adding someone who didn't make the NHL. In a way, even getting Gusev could have had a trickle-down effect on the situation as LW is getting very crowded and Khusnutdinov might be moved back to center.

He signed with Malmö.

Söderberg, Händemark, Westerholm as our centers for top 9....pretty good, aint it?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
6 points in 15 games from a guy who is huge and physical i would say is good. in SHL he is very good 2C. i think he would be good 3C in KHL

He signed with Malmö.

Söderberg, Händemark, Westerholm as our centers for top 9....pretty good, aint it?
They had to clear cap space, they have a bunch of centers, they have a bunch of huge guys. Handemark is occupying a foreigner spot. Kinda logical.

Some players might or might not realize what they are signing for with SKA.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I mean if they had to get rid of Kamenev who was like Bragin's favorite player on the roster letting Handemark go is a no-brainer.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
And Jokerit traded the Mikko Lehtonen's rights to SKA for "a reasonable monetary compensation" and the rights of Brennan Menell because why wouldn't you trade your biggest ever star player to your biggest rival :sarcasm:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I mean if they had to get rid of Kamenev who was like Bragin's favorite player on the roster letting Handemark go is a no-brainer.
Getting Lehtonen clears that up. Yes, a no-brainer. They needed a foreigner spot and they probably need a top D-man way more than Handemark. Why Kamenev should have been Bragin's favorite escapes me. Kamenev sure thing comes across salty in the interview afterwards.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Why Kamenev should have been Bragin's favorite escapes me.
He led SKA forwards in TOI in the PO and then played all the games in the WC. If that doesn't look like favoritism to you I don't know what does.

Regarding Kamenev's saltiness, I guess basically killing his NHL career to be traded to Sibir later wasn't his dream scenario, I can somewhat understand that.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
He led SKA forwards in TOI in the PO and then played all the games in the WC. If that doesn't look like favoritism to you I don't know what does.

Regarding Kamenev's saltiness, I guess basically killing his NHL career to be traded to Sibir later wasn't his dream scenario, I can somewhat understand that.
Last season stays in last season. How many players come to camp in bad shape and it sours the relationship with the coaching staff and sometimes derails careers? If it was all easily deducted form last season...

In perspective his icetime this regular season has gone up compared to last season. Despite that he was far, far behind team leaders in that category. By your own logic Kempainen and Burdasov were Bragin's favorites this season.

As for his saltiness I have no warm feelings for idiots who screw their team over to run to NA thinking they are the true gems among hockey players and end up busts like Kamenev. Even if it can be considered a screwover by SKA he deserves every bit of it. He can whine a bit more.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
If he was(he wasn't). He wasn't that this season.
So you explain him playing almost 20 minutes per game how exactly? Not to mention the NT stuff: he, Shvets-Rogovoy and Timkin best players in the league, clearly. Bums like Okulov or Grigorenko can take a seat.

I understand that Bragin is some kind of genius in your opinion but come on, let's call things what they are.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
So you explain him playing almost 20 minutes per game how exactly? Not to mention the NT stuff: he, Shvets-Rogovoy and Timkin best players in the league, clearly. Bums like Okulov or Grigorenko can take a seat.

I understand that Bragin is some kind of genius in your opinion but come on, let's call things what they are.
As I wrote in the regular season he plyed even less than in this regular season. There could be a thousand reasons why his icetime jumped up to 20 minutes in the PO. All you can come up with is "he's Bragin's favorite". Based on what? On "I don't like Bragin"?

What NT stuff? That forwards roster was an anomaly. You should better re-check your biases. Okulov who? How's Grigorenko doing? He's back in the KHL with a whopping 7 points in 15 games. Sergei effing Plotnikov has 15 on the same team. You name them like they are some superstars clearly better than Kamenev. And yeah, I think Timkin is plug, but Shvets-Rogovoy was quite adequate among that offensive desert. You better ask Panarin why he refused to play for his country so we had to endure that kind of forwards selection.

Yeah, let's call things what they are.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
And Jokerit traded the Mikko Lehtonen's rights to SKA for "a reasonable monetary compensation" and the rights of Brennan Menell because why wouldn't you trade your biggest ever star player to your biggest rival :sarcasm:

As far as I understand Lehtonen is UFA after this season. Given the obvious fact that Jokerit couln't compete vs top Russian teams financially, Lehtonen was probably as good as gone anyway. Now Jokerit got something for him. To me it was good business.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
As I wrote in the regular season he plyed even less than in this regular season. There could be a thousand reasons why his icetime jumped up to 20 minutes in the PO. All you can come up with is "he's Bragin's favorite". Based on what? On "I don't like Bragin"?
Can you name a few of those "thousand reasons"? And I don't dislike Bragin, we've been through this, it's just you being weird about him. Like the guy is flawless or something when in reality, he hasn't achieved much throughout his career outside of coaching juniors. He did a great job with U20 but that's a fairly specific gig.

Biases? You just said Okulov and Grigorenko (who scored well over PPG in the WC, by the way) aren't clearly better than Kamenev and it's me who's biased? :laugh:

Last edited:

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
As far as I understand Lehtonen is UFA after this season. Given the obvious fact that Jokerit couln't compete vs top Russian teams financially, Lehtonen was probably as good as gone anyway. Now Jokerit got something for him. To me it was good business.
They stated that they had several bids from other clubs in the league, but SKA's offer was the best one. I don't know if a hefty monetary compensation that just covers some of the 10+ million euro losses (which would be covered anyways), plus the rights for a player you don't even know will return to the KHL should be called the best deal available. If the money would be spent on the team, things would be different but after watching the club selling both Moses and Kozun for monetary compensation I can almost guarantee that is not the case.

Plus, Kurri and Vuorinen (who are responsible for player signings) talk about challenging for the title but goes on to sell the rights to the biggest divisional competitor? Makes no sense to me, they could've sold him to literally any other team and things wouldn't blow out of this proportion

Edit: I just want to add that I understand Lehtonen had no interest returning to Jokerit (which is kinda douchey in my opinion when you terminate his contract for him to try his luck in the NHL, but hey money talks), so it's reasonable they wanted to sell off his rights to make a profit. The problematic part is the chosen club.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jussi

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
They stated that they had several bids from other clubs in the league, but SKA's offer was the best one. I don't know if a hefty monetary compensation that just covers some of the 10+ million euro losses (which would be covered anyways), plus the rights for a player you don't even know will return to the KHL should be called the best deal available. If the money would be spent on the team, things would be different but after watching the club selling both Moses and Kozun for monetary compensation I can almost guarantee that is not the case.

Plus, Kurri and Vuorinen (who are responsible for player signings) talk about challenging for the title but goes on to sell the rights to the biggest divisional competitor? Makes no sense to me, they could've sold him to literally any other team and things wouldn't blow out of this proportion

Edit: I just want to add that I understand Lehtonen had no interest returning to Jokerit (which is kinda douchey in my opinion when you terminate his contract for him to try his luck in the NHL, but hey money talks), so it's reasonable they wanted to sell off his rights to make a profit. The problematic part is the chosen club.

They probably consider Lehtonen's opinion as well, because SPb is pretty close to Finland so it'll be easier for him to go home from time to time. And I'm pretty sure when it comes to competition with other clubs, none is able to outbid SKA but CSKA. And CSKA has really dire situation with the cap.

Reactions: Exarz

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Can you name a few of those "thousand reasons"? And I don't dislike Bragin, we've been through this, it's just you being weird about him. Like the guy is flawless or something when in reality, he hasn't achieved much throughout his career outside of coaching juniors. He did a great job with U20 but that's a fairly specific gig.

Biases? You just said Okulov and Grigorenko (who scored well over PPG in the WC, by the way) aren't clearly better than Kamenev and it's me who's biased? :laugh:
You did not name one single reason but the one you have no proof or explanation for rather than your biases.I see no reason for a who has more reasons contest on those grounds.

I am not weird about Bragin, you are biased against him and deny it. That is why my objective views on him escape you sight somehow, yet you seek out everything positive I say about him and try to argue against it.

He did not achieve much except in junior because... he never worked much outside juniors. What a surprise. I don't think RSL is worth anything here. He was fired from CSKA while having a wnning record after 33 GP. One season and a bunch with SKA(and he reached the semis with a nothing roster compared to pst SKA rosters). Tell me, what do you expect from him? Winning Cups every year with a whatever roster? After how many games as HC? Nikitin who I consider the best KHL coach right now hasn't won it in his first season either(He won it with Kaprizov and Sorokin on the roster just to name the most prominent ones). Now what?

How about we judge Bragin based on a proper sample size and taking the kind or rosters he has in consideration instead of throwing "he hasn't achieved much" to the wall?

Are you sure you are a hockey fan? I mean you should be able to understand how WC scoring is different from leagues scoring and should have watched games to know who was scoring where and why. And stop turning my statements inside out. I never said Kamenev was a WC superstar or even an adequate NT player. I said that both Okulov and Grigorenko are the same kind of inadequate, but that was the kind of roster we were having. If you asked me if I wanted ANY of those player on AkBars my answer would be meh f0r any of them. Grigorenko just caught some lightning in a bottle playing with Kaprizov. Now that he is without him we see the real thing. They are all pretty unspectacular KHLers. Either one of them can be bettter or worse for a stretch. The problem with that team was not Kamenev or how many minutes Kamenev was getting. The problem was there were no actual star forwards there who could create some adequate offence. Even if Kamenev were benched and Barabanov the top scorer would get 60 mintes per game that team would not have more offensive potential.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
You did not name one single reason but the one you have no proof or explanation for rather than your biases.I see no reason for a who has more reasons contest on those grounds.
How are those not reasons exactly? I listed THE reasons, clear evidence of him clearly being prefered over others for no tangible merit. In case you see the merit, please explain it. Yet even you don't. Otherwise, this conversation wouldn't have gone as long as it did with you just trying to deflect it in every way possible going in circles around it for 5 posts straight.

Are you sure you are a hockey fan? I mean you should be able to understand how WC scoring is different from leagues scoring and should have watched games to know who was scoring where and why.
:facepalm:

We were discussing Kamenev's usage during the WC. Grigorenko was extremely productive during the WC yet he was scratched. That was the whole point. Or do you think Grigorenko deserved to be scratched in May 2021 because he isn't scoring as much as you would like in autumn 2021? Are you a hockey fan? If so, you should remember Grigorenko was very good in this WC. So whatever it is you think about Grigorenko, his partners, his scoring in the KHL and whatnot is extremely irrelevant to the Kamenev discussion.

You know, Kamenev as in the guy who has a career PPG of 0,21 in the KHL and, as it happens, it falls almost perfectly in line with his PPG during the recent seasons as well.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

I think that he didn't want to play in Finland due to tax reasons, as is often the case with players returning rom NA.

What you said about the financial compensation being meaningless is true. It's likely that it will be deducted from the amount Norilsk Nickel Harjavalta pays to Jokerit.

Reactions: Exarz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad