KHL Season 2021-2022

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I do not see any thread, so starting this one.

Each team will play 56 regular season games — down from 62 in 2020-2021.

The season is scheduled to start on Sep. 1 2021 with the Opening Cup game between defending champion Avangard and runner-up CSKA.

There will be an additional break during the season due to the Olympics

Next season should see the KHL return to 24 competing teams

All details KHL announces structure for the 2021-2022 season

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
With massive turnover in CSKA, and Avangard, I am wondering who will compete. Too early to tell of course, until all the rosters are set.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think Avangard is still in pretty good shape. Goalies and defense are set, forwards have pretty much been adequately replaced already especially if Cehlarik can play the same role Boucher did. Not a lot of holes in that lineup.

CSKA and Ak Bars meanwhile.. Yeah, it's gonna be pretty rough. Ak Bars can just give their young guys big roles, that's not a recipe for a guaranteed success but that isn't going to be a disaster either. CSKA really just needs to splash the cash on some big-name signings.

Last edited:

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Glad to see the return of Admiral. Not sure why, but this past season seemed like a bit of a lost season for me. So looking forward to the start of next season. Also hoping Sibir can finally take that next step and get themselves into the playoffs.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Interesting, how many times in the short history was the number of games played changed. If im recall correctly, there were 52, 56, 60, ,62 -games seasons. Now again back to 56 games schedule.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Kari Jalonen will not coach Kunlun next season, nor the Chinese national team.

Kari Jalonen purki sopimuksensa Kunlunin kanssa!

Working environment began to change too much for his liking. Nothing also happened on the Olympic tam front. Kalervo Kummola commented during the Worlds that it's likely China won't participate in the men's tournament at all. They don't have a team currently.

KTl

Apr 11, 2019
Kalervo Kummola commented during the Worlds that it's likely China won't participate in the men's tournament at all.

Croatia, host of WC Division 2A, also don't expect China to participate in that tournament.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Croatia, host of WC Division 2A, also don't expect China to participate in that tournament.

Yeah, Kummola said it's likely another team will take China's place. And because the Kunlun project was aimed at the Olympics, I would not be surprised if that team is gone from KHL within the next few years.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Kalervo Kummola commented during the Worlds that it's likely China won't participate in the men's tournament at all. They don't have a team currently.
I sure hope they won't, they'll only get brutally annihilated. Meanwhile the women's team is actually pretty decent.

fico

Jun 7, 2021
Yeah, Kummola said it's likely another team will take China's place. And because the Kunlun project was aimed at the Olympics, I would not be surprised if that team is gone from KHL within the next few years.

At D2A or at Olympics ? If latter, who will replace them ? Logically it should be best 2nd placed team from qualifications.

Section Netherlands

Feb 8, 2019
A Finnish journalist on twitter, kuplassasha, said that Kunlun will play with China's national team only this upcoming season. Is this true, really?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think they are inevitably going to add at least some top players to keep their head above the water. But playing Chinese team in general would make sense, the whole project was supposedly geared toward this.

Reactions: Witte49

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
A Finnish journalist on twitter, kuplassasha, said that Kunlun will play with China's national team only this upcoming season. Is this true, really?
Now I am not commenting this KRS report. I would just remind you, if you do not know, who is Sasha Huttunen (@kuplassasha on twitter).His reporting has always been anti-KHL & anti-Jokerit propably driven by his worldview. As I know, the KHL forbade him from all KHL matches & events. So, you can reply yourself how reliable could be his reporting on KHL matters.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Now I am not commenting this KRS report. I would just remind you, if you do not know, who is Sasha Huttunen (@kuplassasha on twitter).His reporting has always been anti-KHL & anti-Jokerit propably driven by his worldview. As I know, the KHL forbade him from all KHL matches & events. So, you can reply yourself how reliable could be his reporting on KHL matters.
And you can also reply yourself how this particular report is anti-KHL?

Reactions: KTl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad