KHL on TV - TV Coverage in Europe (incl. Web-TV)

russianhockey

Apr 22, 2007
www.russianhockey.de
Sport 1 CZ - broadcasts 2-3 games of Lev Praha a week
Sport 2 CZ - broadcasts 2-3 games of Slovan Bratislava a week
Sport 2 HU (Hungary) - shows 3 live games a week.
Nova Sport CZ - broadcasts 2 games a week (every Monday & Friday)
TV 6 Latvia - broadcasts all home games of dinamo riga (sometimes also away games)
Viasat Sport Baltic - broadcasts 4-5 games a week
Viasat Hockey - stopped their broadcastings this season
SportDigital (German)- stopped their broadcastings this season (previously 2 games a week)

Are there more TV or Web Channels ?

Last edited:

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Nice thread. I heard there was almost 30 countries who had KHL games on tv in one form or another. Hungaria, Italia, Poland also have KHL rights afaik.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Not directly traditional TV but Austrian-based web TV laola1.tv shows 10-20 KHL games every week. :handclap:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Sport 1 CZ - broadcasts 2-3 games of Lev Praha a week
Sport 2 CZ - broadcasts 2-3 games of Slovan Bratislava a week
Nova Sport CZ - broadcasts 2 games a week (every Monday & Friday)
TV 6 Latvia - broadcasts all home games of dinamo riga (sometimes also away games)
Viasat Sport Baltic - broadcasts 4-5 games a week
Viasat Hockey - stopped their broadcastings this season
SportDigital (German)- stopped their broadcastings this season (previously 2 games a week)

Are there more Channels?

Viasat sport baltic basically broadcasts all Dinamo Rīga away games and few other KHL games.

russianhockey

Apr 22, 2007
www.russianhockey.de
Some highlights of the upcoming week:
Mo • 17:00 • Dynamo Msk - Lokomotiv (Laola1.tv / Sport 2 HU)
Mo • 17:30 • Atlant - SKA (Nova Sport CZ)
Di • 19:00 • Slovan - CSKA (Laola1.tv / Sport 1 CZ)
Mi • 17:00 • Torpedo - Dynamo Msk
Mi • 17:45 • SKA - Lokomotiv (Laola1.tv)
Do • 19:00 • Lev - CSKA (Laola1.tv / Sport 1 CZ)
Fr • 17:00 • Torpedo - SKA (Laola1.tv)
So • 12:00 • CSKA - Sibir (Laola1.tv / Nova Sport CZ)

russianhockey

Apr 22, 2007
www.russianhockey.de
KHL games will be watched in Britain

Beginning this Friday KHL games will be broadcasted in the UK. KHL has inked a new deal regulated by UFA Sports GmbH agency, with Premier Sports channel for the current season 2012-13. The cooperation will last until the end of KHL season and in no way will be affected by NHL lockout.

3 games have been chosen to be aired at Premier Sports in November:
Dynamo Moscow vs. Severstal (Nov. 23)
CKA vs. Vityaz (Nov. 25)
Lokomotiv vs. Salavat Yulaev (Nov. 30)

Premier Sports operates on channel 428, exclusive to the SKY platform in the UK. It was launched in 2010 offering viewers in the UK an opportunity to receive wall to wall coverage of their number one sport.

source: http://en.khl.ru/news/2012/11/22/24871.html

russianhockey

Apr 22, 2007
www.russianhockey.de
laughing7.gif

ult

Sep 21, 2009
The British will be checking their TV sets, thinking there must be something wrong with them. The picture quality from Yaroslavl is outrageous. Like I said in another thread, it's like watching 1980s archive footage. :shakehead

Just stop it already. The game with Salvat will be in HD. It's just the fact that neither KHL TV nor Rossiya 2 were bothered enough to bring their own equipment for the game against Slovan. Get over it already. Speaking of Slovan, your home games are produced by Hungarian crew, because they have better equipment than Slovak tv companies. And still it's only SD.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Irascible and beside the point, as so often. :laugh:

Nope, it's because the KHL sold the rights for Slovan (and Lev) games to a non-Slovak company whose channels (Sport 1, Sport 2) cannot be seen by most people in Slovakia. So most Slovak hockey fans follow Slovan games through cr*ppy Russian online streams.

Besides, there are various kinds of SD. There's decent-quality SD and then there's abominable SD like the one typically broadcast from Yaroslavl, Magnitogorsk and other places. No wonder the KHL didn't even dare to offer those broadcasts to ESPN; but they were OK with Slovan's home games.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Irascible and beside the point, as so often. :laugh:

Nope, it's because the KHL sold the rights for Slovan (and Lev) games to a non-Slovak company whose channels (Sport 1, Sport 2) cannot be seen by most people in Slovakia. So most Slovak hockey fans follow Slovan games through cr*ppy Russian online streams.

Besides, there are various kinds of SD. There's decent-quality SD and then there's abominable SD like the one typically broadcast from Yaroslavl, Magnitogorsk and other places. No wonder the KHL didn't even dare to offer those broadcasts to ESPN; but they were OK with Slovan's home games.

I am in talks with Sport TV these days, so I know what I am talking about ... It is not problem of KHL or SportTV that NO SLOVAK BASED TV was not interesting in KHL or offered worse conditions to KHL (money or tv crew at home games of Slovan/Lev) than SportTV. KHL wanted a tv partner in central Europe who is able to make tv signal from home games of Slovan/Lev. And SportTV was there. We could consider NovaSport as well, the only rival of SportTV. I can not see any sport tv in Slovakia(Czech rep).

The condition about making signal is very important. Which slovak/czech tv broadcaster is possible to offer this type of services?

Btw, SportTV should make a few games in HD. Maybe it is outdated, I read it is august I hope.

I see that Sport TV, especially channel 2, is not easy to get to your tv (extra fee, not cheap, not in provider´s list of channels). On the other hand, if you want to enjoy hockey, you have to invest (as fan). Look at NHL, american/canadians tv. Are they for free?? Fans pay for NHL games and have no problem. IMO some slovaks have feeling that they get everything for free...

You are great example of a guy who invest (and invent the way) into Slovan games via KHL website. You dont have to "follow Slovan games through cr*ppy Russian online streams" Why dont all/majority fans act like you? IMO they have no idea how it works (slovak media dont write about it, only webhokej24), OR dont want to invest money. Nowadays you have nothing for free. You know it, others dont??

btw these russians streams are illegal. We all know it.

One slovak website offers Slovan´s games (dont know if home and away or only home) for small fee. Fans have option, dont have to follow russian streams.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Look at NHL, american/canadians tv. Are they for free??

Absolutely! All or almost all games of your own team are broadcast for free. You're not very familiar with the situation over there. ;) It's only the premium channels (like NHL Game Center) that you need to pay extra to watch.

There may be all sorts of excuses, but the fact is that there's a Slovak team in the KHL, but Slovan's games are broadcast on a TV channel that is not available for most Slovaks. And this is while Slovakia is a lot poorer country than the US or Canada, so it makes even less sense that Americans and Canadians get to watch the games of their local team for free, while hockey fans from a poor country like Slovakia are expected to pay extra for everything. You then can't fault people from such a country if they resort to "free" online content, even if it's of terrible quality and broadcast in a foreign language.

One slovak website offers Slovan´s games (dont know if home and away or only home) for small fee.

Only home games, and only a handful of them, too -- those not broadcast on that Czech/Hungarian sports channel. And this is the worst thing of all, Vorky: even if you subscribe to that Czech/Hungarian sports channel, you still don't get to see all of Slovan and Lev games, home or away! :rant: They only broadcast a selection of them. This made me so angry that a few weeks ago, I went to cancel the TV package that contains Sport 1 and Sport 2 (it currently costs me €2.50 per month). However, as a long-time customer of that cable TV provider, I was offered these channels for 1 more year for free. If they don't start broadcasting all of Slovan's games next season, however, I'll definitely be cancelling them next year, buying a season-long khl.ru streaming subscription instead (right now, it's about €37 for all Slovan games per season, or €111 for all games by all teams all season).

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Absolutely! All or almost all games of your own team are broadcast for free. You're not very familiar with the situation over there. ;) It's only the premium channels (like NHL Game Center) that you need to pay extra to watch.
Uh, what? That's not true, people still have to pay to get the channels that broadcast those games. It's just that they're usually bundled up in TV packages, rather than paying for something like the NHL Game Center separately.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
We should maybe talk specifics, Ryker. The situation may vary from club to club. As you know, there's the distinction between a "base package" of TV channels, and "premium TV channels". When you talk about, say, Saturday's Hockey Night in Canada broadcasts, Don Cherry et al, those kind of games are broadcast on regular "base package" TV channels, right? It's certainly proper to call that "hockey for free", because you would have subscribed to the "base package" anyway, right? Otherwise, why own a TV set? :D

And now take Slovakia, a country with significantly lower average incomes compared to the US and Canada, and none of Slovan's games in the KHL are available on a "base package" TV channel. It's either premium channel or premium TV package, and even after you buy that, some Slovan games aren't broadcast at all. :rant:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
@Faterson

yep, I am not familiar with US televisions and NHL tv deals.

Back to KHL, fans of Salavat Yulaev Ufa (as example) have home games of SY at local tv. I hope it is for free. Or not? I would continue with other clubs...

Yes, SportTV is paid, but why did not Markiza/RTVS/Joj (all for free as I know) aquire tv deal for Slovan games? Not interesting?? Is it fault of KHL that sold this Slovan´s games to SportTV and not broadcasters who was not interested in KHL? Is it fault of SportTV that bought it? IMO it is a big mistake by two major private broadcasters in Slovakia that were not interested in KHL. Yes, these broadcasters did not have special sport channel in past, now beggining with this type of channel.

even if you subscribe to that Czech/Hungarian sports channel, you still don't get to see all of Slovan and Lev games, home or away!

Hope I understand it. Do you mean this? If you subscribe Sport 1 and Sport 2, you still dont have ALL Slovan´s games (home and away). This?? Yes, true. It is not SportTV´s fault. KHL did not offer all games (away) to SportTV. Thats problem.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
We should maybe talk specifics, Ryker. The situation may vary from club to club. As you know, there's the distinction between a "base package" of TV channels, and "premium TV channels". When you talk about, say, Saturday's Hockey Night in Canada broadcasts, Don Cherry et al, those kind of games are broadcast on regular "base package" TV channels, right? It's certainly proper to call that "hockey for free", because you would have subscribed to the "base package" anyway, right? Otherwise, why own a TV set? :D
I don't own a TV set and don't pay for the base package specifically for that reason, i.e. it not being free. And it's not just here. I'm a Flyers fan, and I've seen on our boards that some people have cancelled their subscription to the Comcast Network that broadcasts Flyers games due to the lockout. I don't know what the monthly fee is, but looking at their website it seems to be around $30. So it's not free, even though it's not called "premium", and some people do get subscriptions just for the hockey. Oh, and if you're watching HNIC or THN, you don't get even close to seeing all or most of your team's games.

And now take Slovakia, a country with significantly lower average incomes compared to the US and Canada, and none of Slovan's games in the KHL are available on a "base package" TV channel. It's either premium channel or premium TV package, and even after you buy that, some Slovan games aren't broadcast at all. :rant:
I can see why you're not happy with that, obviously, but there's not much you can do about it. And it's pointless comparing the living standards, because that's just how it is. Having said that, I don't fault you at all for watching free streams online, but you mentioned you'd have to pay 37 euros for all Slovan games if you got it on khl.ru, right? I don't know about you, but that sounds pretty cheap to me, and definitely cheaper than having to get a TV package just to see the games.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
It is not SportTV´s fault. KHL did not offer all games (away) to SportTV.

Are you sure it's the KHL's fault? :amazed: Or Sport TV just didn't want to buy all games? I keep hearing different statements on this.

Besides, it's not about home/away games. Like I said, Sport TV does not even show all of Slovan's home games. Sad but true. :(

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Are you sure it's the KHL's fault? :amazed: Or Sport TV just didn't want to buy all games? I keep hearing different statements on this.

Besides, it's not about home/away games. Like I said, Sport TV does not even show all of Slovan's home games. Sad but true. :(

khl do not offer all away games of Slovan as I know.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I don't own a TV set

Erm... perhaps then you're not exactly the ideal person to comment on a thread dealing with hockey coverage on TV? ;) :D :D

You're correct that €37 for all Slovan games is a very good deal. However, the khl.ru section offering those streams is Russian-only, PayPal is not accepted, Slovak credit & debit cards are not accepted... It was an ordeal until we found a way to pay via Yandex Dengi, another Russian-only site (similar to PayPal). This is too much to expect out of regular hockey fans. If there was a site in a language understandable to them, where they could simply pay the €37 hassle-free and just watch the streams, I bet there'd be quite a good number of subscribers. Although there's also the language barrier to think of -- there are only Russian announcers for khl.ru streams, and sometimes there's no announcer at all. When I watched the official khl.ru stream of the Torpedo vs. Slovan game a few days ago, there was neither an announcer, nor any time-keeping (!) on the screen, which was extremely confusing (especially during power-plays). You'd expect to get more for a paid service.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad