Rumor: KHL insider hints that Kovalchuk isn't staying in LA

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Well he pretty much has a full NMC and has two more years after this one left on his contract.

I don't see him going to an NHL team. If he does dart anywhere it's back to the KHL.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
LA is probably hoping he wants to retire from the NHL for cap reasons. Does his plus 35 deal still have the Kings on the hook for his cap? I can't see any other NHL team wanting him to play. I guess his cap could be traded to another NHL team....maybe

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Chased the money.

Still a great player. Hopefully LA can get some assets for him. He could still be a weapon for many contenders.

Who wants that contract next year? He’s putting up points, but he’s not the player he once was. Wouldn’t shock me if he goes back to the KHL, apparently he wanted to win a cup which doesn’t look like it will happen with the kings

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Well he pretty much has a full NMC and has two more years after this one left on his contract.

I don't see him going to an NHL team. If he does dart anywhere it's back to the KHL.

New Jersey helped with that. While I suspect the threat of never playing in a World Championship or in the China Olympics might not mean a ton to Kovy he has his Gold Medals in both now, he can pretty much cross those events off the calendar if he goes back. I expect given the history with Kovy the NHL will file a grievance with the IIHF if he repeats walking out early.

He picked the wrong team, tough break for Kovy but my guess is he has to live with it this time around.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Who wants that contract next year? He’s putting up points, but he’s not the player he once was. Wouldn’t shock me if he goes back to the KHL, apparently he wanted to win a cup which doesn’t look like it will happen with the kings
He looks like he is in great shape. On any other team his numbers would look better. I was honestly surprised at how good he looks. The team has just bottomed out. Utter collapse and fail. No one expected them to drop like a rock. I think Vegas broke them.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Doesn't help that Willie D doesn't have him on either PP units and is putting him on a line with Kempe and Hagelin.
Where would you put a guy with 5 goals who probably makes it clear he doesn't want to be there? Would you reward a child throwing a tantrum by giving them what caused the tantrum?

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
*looks at contract*
*looks at age*

Yeah...this is a really bad situation to be in for the Kings. Trading him is going to be absurdly difficult, and if he just quits and returns to Russia again that's a ton of dead cap space.

I mean...this could have been avoided by, you know, not signing a fickle 35 year-old to that kind of contract.
I’m sure the senators or coyotes would love to trade for kovalchuk before that happens though. $0 owed with a $6.25M cap hit so they don’t have to spend as much

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad