Rumor: KHL insider hints that Kovalchuk isn't staying in LA

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
And part two, why are some people assuming it’s Kovy driving this? If the team reshuffles or rebuilds he’d be one of the first choices for the team to move, if he agreed.
Fair enough point. Maybe the Kings asked him for a trade list?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I don’t get why he always goes to these old vet teams then is shocked when they fall off a cliff. Sign with a young up and coming team you idiot.

Reactions: KINGS17 and Jacob

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Kovalchuk(500 000 retained) for Neal + 2019 Flames 1st

Not a Kovalchuk fan but I like the term and he’d look excellent on the PP.

Neal gets to play in the top 6 and to play in a warmer climate.

Reactions: KINGS17

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
*looks at contract*
*looks at age*

Yeah...this is a really bad situation to be in for the Kings. Trading him is going to be absurdly difficult, and if he just quits and returns to Russia again that's a ton of dead cap space.

I mean...this could have been avoided by, you know, not signing a fickle 35 year-old to that kind of contract.
Might be a job for David Clarkson

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
So he would do the same he did for Devils? This is hilarious and sad at the same time. Sad for the Kings to do that mistake.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I hope someone else other than the Rangers takes him on. He can be the Carmelo Anthony of the NHL.

Mike Dukarm

Aug 3, 2018
Montreal
With the Kings, he will not win. So if the Kings trade him and if he return to KHL this year or next year, his contract will be on L.A. cap space.

So he will be easier to trade him.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
why would anyone want to trade for him if there is a possibility this is true and he just retires from the NHL. Why take the risk that you'd be stuck with his cap?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t get why he always goes to these old vet teams then is shocked when they fall off a cliff. Sign with a young up and coming team you idiot.
Reminds me of Sundin going to Vancouver instead of Detroit. Although at least Vancouver was a playoff team.

More often than not they go to the highest bidder and then delude themselves into thinking their own presence makes the team a contender.

Mike Dukarm

Aug 3, 2018
Montreal
why would anyone want to trade for him if there is a possibility this is true and he just retires from the NHL. Why take the risk that you'd be stuck with his cap?

If he retired or go back KHL, his contract will be on L.A. cap Space, because It was the Kings who gave him the contract

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Unless this guy provides a little more information, I'm going to assume that he's just speculating (i.e. delivering a hot take that any of us could) and possibly even trying to sow discord. There's really no point in reacting to it when there could easily be nothing to it.

Last edited:

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
If LA can't get out of the contract, I'm sure the Canes will take the cap hit for a 2nd or probably even lower. Hell they are so cheap they might give you a pick for the cap hit.

Reactions: Heldig

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
He won't leave the NHL. He'll ask to go to a playoff team, which is what he thought he signed for. I don't think anyone forecasted such a shit team based on some of their stars' performances last year.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Lollll Kovalchuk tucks tail and runs AGAIN when thins get too tough for his fragile Russian ego. Been saying it since he was signed (half jokingly) that he’d run again, and here we are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad