KHL attendance thread

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
EDIT:. Nevermind, I see the reason behind Yekaterinburg's low figure.

Are there plans to build something?

The most disappointing figure seems to be Barys. Jeez, what more do the fans want?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
EDIT:. Nevermind, I see the reason behind Yekaterinburg's low figure.

Are there plans to build something?

The most disappointing figure seems to be Barys. Jeez, what more do the fans want?
New venues are under construction/planned in Ekaterinburg, Novgorod, Novosibirsk, Spartak Moscow, SKA

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
What, not even a thread at all this year? Suggestion is converting this thread in a non stop one without cutting to years then.

So.

bc5c-8f388551a2932b8541018982ca2976f8.jpg

Would be a record year without Avangard having to move to Balashikha, but oh well. Still 2nd best attendance in the KHL history (6390).

Is the 3rd figure indicate difference from last season?

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
10,420 in Astana today for the sevent game of the series. Haven't checked all figures but I believe this must be a record for Barys. They rarely tested above 6K.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
So far the current season is the best-attended regular-season ever. If all goes this way, the KHL could be the best-attended European hockey league this season. Definitely closer to NL than ever.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
So far the current season is the best-attended regular-season ever. If all goes this way, the KHL could be the best-attended European hockey league this season. Definitely closer to NL than ever.

While this is great news and all the Moscow teams being supported well is refreshing to see. Kunlun is seriously not getting 8k per game. Sure they might be 'selling' 8k tickets but they are not showing up

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
While this is great news and all the Moscow teams being supported well is refreshing to see. Kunlun is seriously not getting 8k per game. Sure they might be 'selling' 8k tickets but they are not showing up

Here is the KRS´s official attendance in Shenzhen

Tuesday, 3500
Wednesday, 2800
Sunday, 6253
Monday, 4117
Saturday, 7716
Sunday, 8115

Looks like that all the problem is with games on weekdays. Weekend´s attendance in good enough for China & the city without hockey/winter games tradition.

I can not comment on "showing up"

Reactions: Rigafan

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Here is the KRS´s official attendance in Shenzhen

Tuesday, 3500
Wednesday, 2800
Sunday, 6253
Monday, 4117
Saturday, 7716
Sunday, 8115

Looks like that all the problem is with games on weekdays. Weekend´s attendance in good enough for China & the city without hockey/winter games tradition.

I can not comment on "showing up"

If they are getting numbers like that an could keep it up they might as well stay in Shenzhen! Will be interesting to see once they finally return to Beijing, although it feels like its never happening

Reactions: Witte49

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
If they are getting numbers like that an could keep it up they might as well stay in Shenzhen! Will be interesting to see once they finally return to Beijing, although it feels like its never happening
They are moving to Beijing next month, when their upcoming home series begins.

It is really interesting how it worked in Shenzhen, but it did not work in Shanghai at all. Perhaps, the arena is a reply because the venue in Shenzhen is new, but they played an old & small rink in Shanghai. Or people in Shenzhen like hockey? They have 2-3k for KRS Vanke Rays, women team playing their home games at the same Shenzhen´s arena. They played the Canadian league last season, but I do not know their attendance, now moved to the KHL´s women league. So, people in Shenzhen are used to the game of hockey, even it was women hockey earlier.

Regarding their Beijing venue. It is new but small for just 3k. They played there their last home series in 2018-19, attendance was around 3k, so full more or less.

After that experience, I would not be surprised if they considered Shenzhen for expansion team.

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
They are moving to Beijing next month, when their upcoming home series begins.

[...]

Regarding their Beijing venue. It is new but small for just 3k. They played there their last home series in 2018-19, attendance was around 3k, so full more or less.

After that experience, I would not be surprised if they considered Shenzhen for expansion team.

Wait what? The Beijing arena that KRS is playing the rest of their season in has a capacity of 3.000? How did they get away with that? I thought the KHL has a minimum capacity requirement around 5k+ (wasn’t one of the reasons Lada were excluded from the Khl the first time, that their old rink only held something like 2500 and that they needed to build a new home, fulfilling the 5k requirement?)

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
The KHL Board of Directors has the most power in the league´s structure. The Board has a right to give an exception to any team. Earlier the Board gave an exception to Dinamo Minsk & Barys because both clubs planned to build new modern venues. Perhaps there has been more exceptions, but I just remember Minsk & Barys.

There were reports that KRS planning to build their own venue.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I'd have liked them to give Lada the exception and let them stay in the league then. Considering they built their new arena, albeit it a small one.

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
I'd have liked them to give Lada the exception and let them stay in the league then. Considering they built their new arena, albeit it a small one.

I had a quick check on the ol inter webs (ok, Wikipedia summary, but hey) and Lada got an exemption when the KHL was founded for their old rink with the condition that a new rink (Lada Arena) was to be built to replace it. The problem was that they couldn’t get Lada Arena built By the time they exemption had expired. They then opened Lada Arena during their vhl stint and were pulled up in 2014.
If arena size was a limiting factor for their renewed demotion then They shot themselves in the foot with the low capacity of their new building. It was also mentioned on Wikipedia that the amenities in the arena were already outdated by the time the place opened.
It’s Wikipedia though, so take it with a grain of salt. Also need mention that this was the German summary

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
It is not only about the venue, but there are also other factors too.

If we talk about Lada´s leaving in Chernyshenko´s era. As you know, one criterion is financial sustainability - the league wants their clubs to be less dependant on state corporation/funding. Look at the league´s reviews, but I believe Lada (& Yugra) were among worst teams, if not the worst, in that aspect. That was a key factor in Lada´s case. And Yugra´s.

Severstal Cherepovets is a very similar case, even smaller city than Togliaty & worse venue than Lada. But, the club is fully owned by a private person (Mordashov). That was not a case for Lada.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Severstal Cherepovets is a very similar case, even smaller city than Togliaty & worse venue than Lada. But, the club is fully owned by a private person (Mordashov). That was not a case for Lada.

That's a very fair point! I still think its a shame, sure they had a small rink, outdated as @mkev400 has pointed out, but they were always well supported and it seems like a very passionate fanbase.

Of course though growth and potential and moving the league forward can't care about these things, I get it. Just a shame to see some teams go.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
VHL attendence????

From the IIHF website...

2nd-tier leagues of European top countries
1Sweden - HockeyAllsvenskan2,713
2Germany - DEL22,511
3Switzerland - Swiss League1,845
4Russia - VHL1,766
5Czech Republic - Chance Liga1,674
[TBODY] [/TBODY]