KHL attendance thread

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Just like Nazarbayev (Kazakh president) has said. Barys will be a strong mid table team in the KHL.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
2014/152015/162016/17
6 4236 3016 124
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
KHL regular season attendance

5986 in current season

The KHL has started its regular season in August since 2015/2016, coming back to September next season.

Season 2014/2015 had different formula, more games within a conference. Now, everyone plays everyone. It will be changed (not sure if next season or later)

New for this season, is that the teams primarily play games against teams in their own division, and secondarily against teams in their own conference, and finally against teams in the other conference. According to the new format (subject to final approval by the League management) each team will play a total of 60 games during the regular season as follows:
  • 24 games against the other teams in their division (two at home and two on the road against each opponent),
  • 14 games (one at home and one on the road against each opponent), against the teams in the other division in their conference,
  • 14 more against teams from the other conference (comprising seven home games versus teams from one division and seven road games against teams from the other),
  • 8 games where four will be against teams in their own conference (two at home, two on the road) and four against opposition from the other conference (again, two at home and two on the road). When determining the opponents and venues for these additional 8 games, the League consider practical things, including the geographical locations and the availability of the arenas

Reactions: TommySalo

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I frankly was expecting better numbers, but have a look at top-12.

All in all, sure people are more likely to attend games in autumn/winter than they are in the summer so attendance will rise. But that top-12 number is as irrelevant as it gets, I don't know what does it even supposed to tell. Comparing 40% of KHL's top teams to 90% of all the other league's.

KHL's attendance problems have been the same for years, moving the needle 200 to one side or the other doesn't really mean much.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Kunlun's doesnt help. Also look at Minsk this season, they have a crap team, lots of people stop showing up.

IMO part of the problem is the same teams are at the bottom of the league every season, who wants to watch their team get hammered every game. Since there is no real draft this is the kind of thing that happens. I think the league needs to do something about somehow spreading the talent around to bottom teams. If league can remedy this and next season kick some teams that are more suitable for the VHL, eventually there will be more parity and even attendances.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well there were still 12k viewers at the last Minsk home game so they are doing fine so far. Even if the team isn't great it isn't hopeless. Riga however is and that turns the team which could be boosting league's numbers into one that's sinking them. Same with SLovan, to lesser extent.

Situation with Kunlun and CSKA is terrible. Spartak started doing fine as soon as they started winning a few games which is all you need, evidently. Same story with Vityaz, people started showing up when they were winning, now it's back to 2k per game again.

Problem is that the teams who should realistically be on their way to the VHL are doing really well this season. Yugra is gone, that's a foregone conclusion. After this season Vityaz is the team which should be there as well, if KHL goes through with what they said before the season. Severstal and Neftekhimik need to be kicked in the long run but not until there is something to replace them. As long as they stay relevant on the ice let them stay.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
What's the attendance record in KHL? I guess Lev Praha holds it? Quick googling couldn't give me an answer.

Jokerit-SKA outdoor game is close to a sellout, which would mean an attendance of 18 000.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
What's the attendance record in KHL? I guess Lev Praha holds it? Quick googling couldn't give me an answer.

Jokerit-SKA outdoor game is close to a sellout, which would mean an attendance of 18 000.

Reactions: CPFC

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Attendance up to 6232. Too bad that Kunlun dragged it down, hopefully next year they'll manage to play more at the real home
The KHL wants Beijing as their home. We will see what will happen. The problem is a bureaucracy in China with a reconstruction of some arena near Workers Stadium.

Good news that the attendance increased.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
The KHL wants Beijing as their home. We will see what will happen. The problem is a bureaucracy in China with a reconstruction of some arena near Workers Stadium.

Good news that the attendance increased.

yeah good news and there are some circumstances that led to the attendance to be in my opinion even a bit lowe than what it should. EG Ufa starting the season with one billion of games at home, the Neftekhimik mess again at the start of the season, and so on. Removing Yugra and getting Kunlun in Beijing should really boost the attendance even more.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
yeah good news and there are some circumstances that led to the attendance to be in my opinion even a bit lowe than what it should. EG Ufa starting the season with one billion of games at home, the Neftekhimik mess again at the start of the season, and so on. Removing Yugra and getting Kunlun in Beijing should really boost the attendance even more.
Agree.

If you read attendance articles at Biznis Online, they always say - the best attendance figures were in 2014/15 season when there was maximum games between division rivals (and you played with teams from opposite conference just once) in the history of the league. If I get it, the KHL wants to come back to this model. More games within division/conference. So, there should be better attendance in the future, especially if teams with small arenas are gone (or upgrade arenas, lets say Novosibirsk).

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Only 6,000 a game? I would have expected Moscow and St. Pete’s to have much bigger crowds for their teams.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Only 6,000 a game? I would have expected Moscow and St. Pete’s to have much bigger crowds for their teams.
Well SKA basically sold out every game. Their arena has a capacity of around 12000 but due to the team’s popularity they plan to move to a bigger arena with 18000 seats.

CSKA’s barn can only take in 5500 spectators. In addition to that they’ve always struggled to get fans to their games.

Spartak Moscow had 7500 and 8100 in their two playoff games before being sweeped by CSKA.

Reactions: Rigafan

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Well SKA basically sold out every game. Their arena has a capacity of around 12000 but due to the team’s popularity they plan to move to a bigger arena with 18000 seats.

CSKA’s barn can only take in 5500 spectators. In addition to that they’ve always struggled to get fans to their games.

Spartak Moscow had 7500 and 8100 in their two playoff games before being sweeped by CSKA.

Spartak and SKA seem to be the only two teams with a marketing department.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
What, not even a thread at all this year? Suggestion is converting this thread in a non stop one without cutting to years then.

So.

bc5c-8f388551a2932b8541018982ca2976f8.jpg

Would be a record year without Avangard having to move to Balashikha, but oh well. Still 2nd best attendance in the KHL history (6390).

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Kunlun are a disgrace on move, going between Shanghai and Beijing. I really wish they would either get kicked or relocate to Harbin. They are totally useless with no future.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Harbin is a second tier city in China, not sure if that'd be doable politically as it would be considered a demotion.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
It's irking me that they didn't wait 1 day before making that stats picture.

Anyway Chinese team has to go. Neftekhimk might as well. Torpedo and Avto can't wait for their new arenas. And Moscow teams have room to grow.

Last edited:

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
What is their intended purpose? At this point, I don't even have an idea.
To serve as a platform for China to naturalize relatively skilled players of Chinese descent, mostly. The team itself isn't sparking much of public interest which is unfortunate but not a deal-breaker. It's also the flagship of Chinese hockey and something that Chinese players can theoretically endeavor to one day play on.

Reactions: Exarz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad