KHL: Aftermath of Lokomotiv Tragedy (& discussion of NHL disaster plan)

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Somehow, this seems like the beginnings of a movie plot.

"Strapped for cash, the Miami Coyotes desperately need to make the playoffs or be relocated to Snow City. But they can't replace the 5 no-talent goofballs that are holding them back...

or can they?

Starring Will Ferrell, Jack Black, Adam Sandler, Mike Myers and Cuba Gooding, Jr."

You took it in a slightly sillier direction, but the Quebecois movie Lance et Compte (a continuation of a TV series on French CBC) dealt with the aftermath of the bus crash Quebec City's fictional NHL team which killed twelve of its players.

I would have enjoyed it more if I had seen some of the original series and if my French wasn't so God-awful, but it was still decent.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
I'm no lawyer but I think if they tried to free-hand the specifications of the plan last minute it wouldn't go over well with the lawyers of the NHLPA/individual organizations.
Things like the Kovalchuk contract situation where the NHLPA filed grievances is one thing, changes to rules that are all business, yeah they should definitely get involved. But I'd say have fun being the NHLPA once you file grievances because Player X has to go to Town Y due to a horrific accident resulting in multiple casualties. Any and every advisor, lawyer, official, etc. the NHLPA had would be let go 20 seconds after TSN announces that NHLPA is fighting new ruling and the backlash occurs.

For the individual organizations, they may not like the final ruling but in the end they're the ones who have hired the people who will end up coming up with the decision, their input would have been given and it would likely end up being pretty fair situation. They likely aren't going to cause a stir because they might take a little bit of a hit to their depth, the fan and player backlash wouldn't be worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad