Status
Not open for further replies.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
A good read. I doubt his wife knows a lot about russian history though.

Keenan's talk about canadians having more psssion for the game the other day got him a -5 with me also. I'm officially on the anti-Keenan bandwaggon now to show that cocky Canadian what passion means.

Keenan is absolutely right, just looking at Medvescak intensity and watching Vityaz' - Spartak the other day clearly shows the difference in attitude.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
I respect Keenan, he says one bad thing and 10 good things about Russian, KHL hockey. He is also done an extremely good job with MNK, considering the changes in the composition of the team from the prior year.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Keenan is absolutely right, just looking at Medvescak intensity and watching Vityaz' - Spartak the other day clearly shows the difference in attitude.

Keenan is senile. Thy myths about "intensity" are nice, but I watch the games too. Medvescak is 9-12 with the "intensity". Spartak 11-9. The Canadians will never understand the dumb onslaught can only bring you that far, especially on the big rink. Also Mr.Keenan like most Canadians has no clue about the stats of games of soviet against canadian teams all-time. Seems like their "passion" brought them a lot of defeats. For some reason:sarcasm: Canadians always believe they won everything in history.

Coramoor

Aug 8, 2011
Keenan is senile. Thy myths about "intensity" are nice, but I watch the games too. Medvescak is 9-12 with the "intensity". Spartak 11-9. The Canadians will never understand the dumb onslaught can only bring you that far, especially on the big rink. Also Mr.Keenan like most Canadians has no clue about the stats of games of soviet against canadian teams all-time. Seems like their "passion" brought them a lot of defeats. For some reason:sarcasm: Canadians always believe they won everything in history.

it's all about 72 really

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org

Are you really using the results of the Soviet national team against the Canadian amateur team as a chest thumping moment?

Coramoor

Aug 8, 2011
In fairness, Canada only won '72 because Clarke cheated and took out Kharlamov. As a Canadian, I find the entire series a national embarrassment.

no way to know really, but that wasn't one of our high points. It also doesn't help that they didn't take it seriously going into it and came to play out of shape.

Given that he was comparing soviet wins against amateurs though, it seems like a more than fair comparison.

Canada in the NHL era: 2G 0S 0B
Russia in the NHL era: 0G 1S 1B

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
no way to know really, but that wasn't one of our high points. It also doesn't help that they didn't take it seriously going into it and came to play out of shape.

Given that he was comparing soviet wins against amateurs though, it seems like a more than fair comparison.

Canada in the NHL era: 2G 0S 0B
Russia in the NHL era: 0G 1S 1B

Yeah, the whole terrible attitude / out of shape fiasco that occurred, and then couple that with us being down 3-1 in the series prior to the Clarke headhunt. And then in the '74 Summit Series we got smoked. Every time I see a dvd box set commercial on tv or something like that milking it I just cringe and roll my eyes.

And I agree with what you pointed out, I find thegold medals in the current era much more important, relevant, and proof of the strength of Canadian hockey.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
back on KHL topic:

Keenan:
Although some rinks are NHL sized, the majority are international size, 15 feet wider. "It's definitely a four-line game over here," Keenan said. "You can't exist on three lines."

If this is the case, why the hell is Nazarov / HC Donbass playing only 3 lines? I understand the Varlamov/Morozov/Toryanik line ain't exactly KHL-caliber, but they are only getting 5-6 shifts and 3-4 minutes of ice time a game whereas all other forwards get 20+ shifts and 16-20+ minutes

rolling 3 lines has GOT to catch up with this team, what do you guys think?

(though I guess things may change once Kiiskinen and Kagarlitsky come back from the IR...)

Coramoor

Aug 8, 2011
Yeah, the whole terrible attitude / out of shape fiasco that occurred, and then couple that with us being down 3-1 in the series prior to the Clarke headhunt. And then in the '74 Summit Series we got smoked. Every time I see a dvd box set commercial on tv or something like that milking it I just cringe and roll my eyes.

And I agree with what you pointed out, I find thegold medals in the current era much more important, relevant, and proof of the strength of Canadian hockey.

wasn't 74 just the WHA though, if you combine the two you had the ability to create a terrifying team

Coramoor

Aug 8, 2011
back on KHL topic:

Keenan:

If this is the case, why the hell is Nazarov / HC Donbass playing only 3 lines? I understand the Varlamov/Morozov/Toryanik line ain't exactly KHL-caliber, but they are only getting 5-6 shifts and 3-4 minutes of ice time a game whereas all other forwards get 20+ shifts and 16-20+ minutes

rolling 3 lines has GOT to catch up with this team, what do you guys think?

(though I guess things may change once Kiiskinen and Kagarlitsky come back from the IR...)

Honestly I think that is one of the flaws in Keenan's thinking that made him lose favour as an NHL coach, 4 line rolling is the thing to do now among the big NHL teams.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I respect Keenan, he says one bad thing and 10 good things about Russian, KHL hockey. He is also done an extremely good job with MNK, considering the changes in the composition of the team from the prior year.

Well the changes were all for the better. Unlike Traktor and Avangard MMG really worked well in the offseason. The solved their goaltending problems by signing Koshechkin. They signed Zaripov. Kovar looks like he's a great signing too. Haven't lost any of the young players. They are supposed to be doing good. I don't how much Keenan is in this team as at times I had the impression the assistants would run the show, but I can't blame Keenan for anything of course and it's just an impression from someone who has no idea what's really going on in the locker room. MMG is well in shape this season. The things he said about the league are pretty much his opinion and I wouldn't expect a canadian coach to be concerned with the development of russian young players. His job is to run this one team.

His remarks about Canadians winning like everything in the past though are really far off.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Someone please post highlights of DYM/SIB. Apparently there was some big brawl, I can't seem to find anything on youtube though

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
http://bighockey.ua/news/dolyu-supernika-donbasu-virishat-piznishe.html

what's going on with Amur? I'm google translating but it says something about the team not having a president (who resigned in september and a new one hasn't been named) and that something about financial difficulties, not paying players back in august, and...tomorrow's game in cancelled/postponed?

Flooding in Habarovsk. I saw this at the Red Wings section: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=73435021&postcount=459

russianhockey

Apr 22, 2007
www.russianhockey.de
guys, next week there will be really great tournament to watch for all khl fans & insiders:

EHT 2013-2014 • 2nd Stage • Karjala Cup • Nov. 7-10 [CZE/FIN/RUS/SWE]

F. e. Russia will have a full squad from the khl, finland will have 16 and the czech rep. 15 players from the khl in their roster.

A lot of Top Players like Jan Kovář, Cervenka, PetružÃ¡lek, Lehterä, Salminen, Tikhonov, Kovalchuk, Komarov, Kontiola & more will be there...

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Flooding in Habarovsk. I saw this at the Red Wings section: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=73435021&postcount=459

Sorry to hear the bad news. Fan attendance has always been at full capacity for Amur, and it is a great hockey city that has produced a number of outstanding players over the years. Is this just a temporary blip, or does it look like the beginning of the end for the franchise? The league has always said it won't save failing franchises, but losing Khabarovsk could seriously curtail any "Eastern strategy" to link Vladivostok with Khabarovsk and possibly other cities to make long-distance travel to the Far East more cost-effective.

Coramoor

Aug 8, 2011
Sorry to hear the bad news. Fan attendance has always been at full capacity for Amur, and it is a great hockey city that has produced a number of outstanding players over the years. Is this just a temporary blip, or does it look like the beginning of the end for the franchise? The league has always said it won't save failing franchises, but losing Khabarovsk could seriously curtail any "Eastern strategy" to link Vladivostok with Khabarovsk and possibly other cities to make long-distance travel to the Far East more cost-effective.

I'm somewhat surprised they won't step in because it's a natural disaster and not incompetence or overspending

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I'm somewhat surprised they won't step in because it's a natural disaster and not incompetence or overspending

Its probably likely that they would make an exception in cases where the existence of a franchise is critical to their overall plan of operation. After bringing Vladivostok on line, the Admirals would be pretty lonely if the closest franchise was in Novokuznetsk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad