This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
1667529467557-png.602938
:laugh:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Is that a sample size of this year or historically speaking?

I feel like we've been particularly bad at faceoffs this year. I really hope this becomes an area of focus on practice.

I know the fancy stats guys say that faceoffs aren't measurably important. That may have some truth to it in a macro sense, but situationally they are still important, and play into a philosophy of 'incremental wins'. You can be successful at little things, that, while on their own aren't hugely impactful, but when you do 10 or 20 of these little things right consistently, add up to positive results.
Just this season. Also doesn't take into account the fact that Lowry will take more faceoffs against better face-off players than Scheifele. As for the importance of faceoffs, I get the logic behind them not being super important, but man it would be nice to start a powerplay in the offensive zone sometime rather than having to chase the dumped puck.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
We could absolutely use Ehlers speed and talent on our PP , can't forget we are playing all these games without one of our best players .
Yeah -- I do wonder what Ehler's injury is ? and when he's expected back. He brings the team to a whole new level in my opinion, with his offensive zone entries. Anybody know on his status ? or what his injury is ?

Reactions: hn777

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Was it just me or did having Toninato in the line up hugely underline how much improved or bottom six is?

I don't hate him, but you could plainly see how much better guys like Gags, Big Sak, and Thor are than him.

I did a spit-take thinking this was referring to Thorburn

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Jets deserved the win, dominated OT. Jets could of easily won 2-3 goals, Habs goalie saved Habs big time

If Montembeault is for real, Habs will have taken a big step forward in their rebuild. He's never really done anything at all before though and it is only 4 games this year. Time will tell. He was very good last night.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Kovacevic was a giant oof last night for Montreal. I hope for him it was just a hiccup and not a sign of what's to come.

He had his share of mistakes but didn't look like a guy playing in a league where he didn't belong, yeah he gave up a bad 2-1 and had a bad play at the offensive blueline but our guys make those types of plays as well. Will be interesting to follow him. So far the Jets haven't had a prospect that they've moved on from whose gone and done great things with another team. Let's see how it goes with Kova, the fact that their coach isn't really "hiding" him def makes me think he has a better shot at making an NHL career than the Nikus, Postmas, Petans and Redmonds of the world that the Jets moved on from.

Reactions: None

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Beauty Connor from Scheif in OT. Great ending.

I guess I should have been picking KC to score last instead of first in the prediction contest. :laugh:

I hope that is the monkey off his back now and the goals start coming in bunches.

Pionk is piss poor defensively so honestly.... would Morrissey Heinola be any worse

I don't know about that - but it looks like Pionk is tanking Morrissey. Need to get DeMelo back on the 1st pair. IIRC Samberg was OK with Pionk in the past.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They got to cheer for something. Slaf looks like hes in daze out there so getting a 1st overall pick and having him look meh has to be scary

They took the wrong guy at 1OA, but the one they should've taken has looked meh too. :laugh: Send both back to the OHL for a year. There is no shame in that and it will probably be best for their development. Come into TC a year older and with their swagger back. :laugh:

I thought the same thing myself, but Bowness said in the post game press conference, that he uses Lowry only to get possession of the puck, as he thinks Lowry is the Jets best faceoff man. He says getting possession in overtime is key.

Then start him with Connor and JMo. Have him get off for Scheifele right after the FO.

Reactions: None and surixon

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Just returned home.

Coelacanth of the game

Kyle Connor

r1004020_600x600_1-1.jpg

2e90e9b2e612738b92a94e8047e88afd8d3a0573.gif

Well done lads. Nice to beat the foolish prancing drooling belimnids from out east, hey hey?

belemnite

bĕl′əm-nīt″

noun​

1. Any of a group of extinct squidlike cephalopod mollusks of the Jurassic and Cretaceous Periods, having a cone-shaped internal shell.
  2. A straight, solid, tapering, dart-shaped fossil, the internal bone or shell of a molluscous animal of the extinct family Belemnitidæ, common in the Chalk and Jurassic limestone.
  3. The animal to which such a bone belonged.
belemnoid

noun​

1. One of the Belemnoidea; a belemnite or fossil dibranchiate cephalopod, or a related form.
  2. A member of the Belemnoidea, an extinct group of marine cephalopods.

:laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
PP should get a boost if and when Nik comes back should give us 2 good PP units but I would settle for 1 really good one

2 good units is fine if there is no #1. Alternate which unit starts the PP and give them 90 sec. Otherwise, create 1 PP that actually has power and give them most of the PP time.

I mean, I can't say for certain for Sals specifically, but when it comes to imagining a greasy spoon diner that DOESN'T have a "steamed bland fish" entree on its "65-and-over" menu? In the words of my old poker buddy Jack (RIP), "the next one will be the first one"

Sal's Silver Menu Fish & Chips is not steamed. It is deep fried in fat like it should be. And its not bad. :laugh:

Reactions: bustamente

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think that was Pionk that got walked on the 1st goal, that was our supposed best defensive d-man. 2nd goal Pionk makes a solid breakout pass that Appleton gives away, and then Perfetti dogs the backcheck. Even the high danger chance on the PP was a beauty play by Suzuki, pushing his elbow, which is something you can't defend, but there was no damn support for the puck carrier. I see Pionk making smart plays defensively, and probably the smartest breakouts, but I'm not objective on this.

As for the game, good enough to win. 2 points is 2 points. Difference was Bowness starting with Lowry, against Suzuki, and not losing that matchup, which allowed for a fresh Scheifele-Connor duo to pick apart Suzuki on his 2nd shift.

Take the W, stay in the chase.

Good game from Dillon I thought. Good game from Gustafsson again defensively. 2nd line was good, big response on the game tying goal. Am I the only one who thinks Wheeler looks like he is having fun this year?

Wheeler does seem to be playing like a (slightly) younger man this year, without the weight of the C.

Reactions: voyageur

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Is that a sample size of this year or historically speaking?

I feel like we've been particularly bad at faceoffs this year. I really hope this becomes an area of focus on practice.

I know the fancy stats guys say that faceoffs aren't measurably important. That may have some truth to it in a macro sense, but situationally they are still important, and play into a philosophy of 'incremental wins'. You can be successful at little things, that, while on their own aren't hugely impactful, but when you do 10 or 20 of these little things right consistently, add up to positive results.

It is not that FO are unimportant. It is that the difference between a really FO C and a really bad one is about 55-45. Analyse that difference in detail and its importance becomes less. FO are important, but the difference between a good FO man and a bad one is small.

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
Drink if you expected Lowry/Appleton to be one of our top OT lines.
Lol this^.

Now that i've had time to sit back, relax, and have a couple J. R. R. Tolkiens.

The more i think about this...

The more i realize just how absurd it is to roll out this line up to start OT.

I mean, to start OT with a lineup of Lowry, Appleton and some random third stringer plug-in is utterly insane.

Yet here we are..... 3-1 in OT.

1 of 2 things is happening here:

1) Either the small sample size is being favourable to the balance of probabilities.

Or

2) This coaching staff is on to something.

1667618695043.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad