Post-Game Talk: KFC wins it in OT 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Lol this^.

Now that i've had time to sit back, relax, and have a couple J. R. R. Tolkiens.

The more i think about this...

The more i realize just how absurd it is to roll out this line up to start OT.

I mean, to start OT with a lineup of Lowry, Appleton and some random third stringer plug-in is utterly insane.

Yet here we are..... 3-1 in OT.

1 of 2 things is happening here:

1) Either the small sample size is being favourable to the balance of probabilities.

Or

2) This coaching staff is on to something.

View attachment 603529
I think part of the reasoning is if they don’t get possession they go into a defensive shell and try to eliminate high scoring chances. Not a winning formula 5-5 but usually buys some time 3-3 to get a favourable matchup on the 2nd shift.

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
I think part of the reasoning is if they don’t get possession they go into a defensive shell and try to eliminate high scoring chances. Not a winning formula 5-5 but usually buys some time 3-3 to get a favourable matchup on the 2nd shift.
This was my thought exactly, but then i realized... thats still kinda crazy (or absurd), if not novel.

Which is what i was trying to "get at"/or convey in my comment :)

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This was my thought exactly, but then i realized... thats still kinda crazy (or absurd), if not novel.

Which is what i was trying to "get at"/or convey in my comment :)
3-3 is a weird duck. It is interesting the strategies coaches take. Bones seems to be a little outside the box which so far seems to be working.

Reactions: voyageur

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Nice deserved win. Would have been rather salty if they lost in OT after that, but they seemed pretty dominant in OT.

I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said. Not sure if I'm allowed to say this, but I thought Wheels looked quite good and I liked his hard work on the goal. I also noticed for the first time that he's not even wearing an "A". Interesting.
The scary thing is that 55 and 81 overstayed their shift again, but luckily they scored. Just the same as what happened in the Vegas game. If that switch up high between 55 and 81 was poked away, you have another breakaway and potential goal against. Not sure why you wouldn't throw Dubie and spaghetti out there

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yeah, I was disappointed in that. The numbers I saw were just the 1st two periods and they were much better with Gagner.
I don't know - the Jets were far more dominant in the third, and I saw Gagner make some significant errors and poor reads on the top line, suffering he hasn't done so far. I think the speed and execution timing of that like might be a bit much for him, and he may have been trying to force things.

That's the one benefit of Appleton. He's not going to create a lot on that line but he makes safe plays and keeps the puck moving the right way.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
I don't know - the Jets were far more dominant in the third, and I saw Gagner make some significant errors and poor reads on the top line, suffering he hasn't done so far. I think the speed and execution timing of that like might be a bit much for him, and he may have been trying to force things.

That's the one benefit of Appleton. He's not going to create a lot on that line but he makes safe plays and keeps the puck moving the right way.

Yeah Gagner started out great but then made like... a number of pretty bad gaffes in a row, and I wonder if moving him down even had a bit to do with preserving his own confidence and hot streak.

Appleton is... a much more 'straightforward' player, heh

Reactions: thereturn and Jet

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
The scary thing is that 55 and 81 overstayed their shift again, but luckily they scored. Just the same as what happened in the Vegas game. If that switch up high between 55 and 81 was poked away, you have another breakaway and potential goal against. Not sure why you wouldn't throw Dubie and spaghetti out there

Agree. PLD is a tough player to handle 3-3, and it would be great to see Perfetti out there for a spell also, maybe with JMo, who can catch most skaters going back.

Reactions: Jet

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Earlier in this thread, there was some discussion about the importance (or lack of) of winning faceoffs.

Generally speaking, at the end of the regular season, about one-half of the teams will be >50% for FOW with the other half, of course, below 50%.

If your team is >50% FOW, you just might find yourself in the playoffs:

2017-18: 9 of the 16 playoff teams were >50% FOW
2018-19: 12 of 16 with >50% FOW made playoffs
2019-2020: 9 of 16
2020-2021: 11 of 16
2021-2022: 11 of 16

Interestingly, the Jets from the 2017-18 season through last season were slightly above 50% FOW with the 2017-18 team having a very good 52.4%.

Although the Jets are currently in a "playoff position", their current FOW is 44.6%, one of the lowest values of the 32 teams.

Food for thought?

Cheers.

Reactions: LowLefty

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Earlier in this thread, there was some discussion about the importance (or lack of) of winning faceoffs.

Generally speaking, at the end of the regular season, about one-half of the teams will be >50% for FOW with the other half, of course, below 50%.

If your team is >50% FOW, you just might find yourself in the playoffs:

2017-18: 9 of the 16 playoff teams were >50% FOW
2018-19: 12 of 16 with >50% FOW made playoffs
2019-2020: 9 of 16
2020-2021: 11 of 16
2021-2022: 11 of 16

Interestingly, the Jets from the 2017-18 season through last season were slightly above 50% FOW with the 2017-18 team having a very good 52.4%.

Although the Jets are currently in a "playoff position", their current FOW is 44.6%, one of the lowest values of the 32 teams.

Food for thought?

Cheers.

I would assume this can be explained by the fact that better players are more likely to be better at faceoffs.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

It may take more than a couple of periods for a player to adjust to new line mates - I wouldn't necessarily critique his game too much at this point considering he is not typically a player who makes bad decisions or makes mistakes. It might have been just a bad game for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad