Speculation: Key Targets for more Cap Dumps

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
So we still have a heck of a lot of cap space, and would love to get draft picks for cap dumps.

I personally would not want to take on anyone over a 2 year deal. Thus ruling out names like Turris (4) / Ladd (3)

Here are 3 names I think we should target:

1) Brandon Dubinsky (1 year, 5.85M).

Reason Columbus may pay to have Dubinsky go away: They need to sign PLDubois and Josh Anderson... They only have 7M in Cap space, I do not think they will get these 2 players signed for this amount of $, so they will need to find some space.

Dubinsky is really their only horrid contract (Maybe Riley Nash could also go). So I am not sure their other options besides giving up on a 2nd/3rd liner

Bad news is, Columbus doesn't have any 2nd round picks for next 2 years... so they may have to include a 1st, if we throw in a 2nd.

2) Leo Komarov (2 years, 3M). (Worse Option Ladd, 3 years 5.5M)
After Ladd, The NYI next worst paid player is Komarov. They have almost 9M. But They need to sign Barzal and Pulock and Toews. So they also need more money. Another option for who to cut for them would be Boychuk (2 years, 6M) or Leddy (2 years, 5.5M).

Again though, the Islanders do not have a 1st or 2nd this year, and do not have a 2nd next year. Leaving them only their 21 1st rounder as really appealing. If we were to take a cap dump, and include a 2nd rounder, I think the 1st could be in play.

3) Loui Eriksson (2 years, 6M).

This is the one name we have been discussing on our board for a while. No I do not think we will get Boeser or anything dumb like that. Also Benning has been on record saying he will not be spending any 1st or 2nd round picks to dump salary. Vancouver has 14M and needs to sign Tanev, Stetcher on D, and Virtanen and Toffoli as forwards, and a starting (or backup) Goalie. If they let Markstrom walk... I think they can do all this with 14M. Which actually leads me to think Benning may be going with Demko next year, and letting Markstrom walk.

If anyone has other ideas, post them here. These are just the first thoughts I had by combing through cap friendly.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Leddy & Uncle Leo. LD solved for now. Staal/Nemeth to a contender for pick.

upload_2020-9-28_22-2-34.png

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I honestly don't know what it would take, or if it would even be worth it.

It would be pretty funny though, after that whole thing a couple of years ago.
I think, just like OEL, cost of acquisition would be a non-starter. Then add aging, injury prone, 2C not 1C, not great defensively, cap & salary etc. I can't imagine he'd wanna be here either. I live in Florida & as miserably humid as it is May through Oct, it's beautiful if you're at the pool/beach. HM to hot summer nights with an ocean breeze.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedMenace

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I really like the Dubinsky idea, I wouldn't even mind re-signing him on a year by year basis if a deadline deal doesn't blow us away. Great mentor, team guy, locker room guy. I'd like Veleno, Rasmussen and even Larkin to learn a little of that Dubi attitude.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I really like the Dubinsky idea, I wouldn't even mind re-signing him on a year by year basis if a deadline deal doesn't blow us away. Great mentor, team guy, locker room guy. I'd like Veleno, Rasmussen and even Larkin to learn a little of that Dubi attitude.

Dubinsky is LTIRetiring for injuries.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I saw @Henkka posted about this in another thread but I was thinking last night that Yzerman will likely take some contracts off of TB's hands.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I'm really curious about Gostisbehere. He "only" makes 4.5 mil, so I don't know if he would be a cap dump. I don't think we'd get anything in addition to taking on his contract. I still think I'd move a 5th round pick and see if he can rebound in Detroit.

3 years left at 4.5 isn't anything insane, so I think it would make sense, assuming they aren't looking for anything substantial in return, and simply give him away for "nothing" (5th round pick) to shed salary.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I would not consider that a cap dump at all. Or has his game fallen off that bad?

It hasn't. He's not a cap dump in the traditional sense, but more in the "Oh boy, we're Arizona and this is a really high paid guy going into this 30's and we have no draft picks and COVID happened..."

Given the instability in Arizona and the hit to financials due to COVID, it's safe to say they might not love hanging onto his deal. 7 years left at an average cap of $8.25 million. Actually salary spikes to $10 million in the coming years.

Trading Oliver Ekman-Larsson may be a necessity for the Arizona Coyotes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad