Kevin Poulin Appreciation Thread

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
This team needs an answer outside the organization. Sick and tired of EVERY young gun being the answer. Let them develop like a normal team would before throwing them into the fire.

100% agree at every position. I firmly believe this organization doesn't know how to win. They look scared to have a lead, no idea how to stomp out an opponent. I want guys in here who have been part of organizations that go for the throat when they are up, not scramble around or immediately look to ice the puck as their only recourse.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
100% agree at every position. I firmly believe this organization doesn't know how to win. They look scared to have a lead, no idea how to stomp out an opponent. I want guys in here who have been part of organizations that go for the throat when they are up, not scramble around or immediately look to ice the puck as their only recourse.

People can say what they want about Cappy too, but let's be honest he's not the REAL problem. If our wonderful GM gave him a goalie and some depth at defense to work with we could do some damage. As for Poulin he's not the answer and that has been clear.

Snow missed out on Bernier big time. He didn't want to give up a first AND Niño yet he gave up a first in the Vanek deal and Niño in the Clutterbuck deal. It's clear this guy has no idea what he's doing.

This season really sucks because all we truly we were a goalie away from playoffs yet again.

In a perfect world everybody is fired and we send Weight down to the AHL. Wang sells and somebody takes this team over. It's absolutely disgusting nobody has stepped in to tell Wang that he has got to start spending. I wish the NHL owned this team instead sometimes .

MaryChristine*

Poulin's part of the reason we went 4 of 6 on this road trip.

He is also part of the reason why we are near the bottom of the standings. See how that works? We need to upgrade in goal bottom line, he is not a quality starter, jury is still out on him even being a decent back up.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Poulin's part of the reason we went 4 of 6 on this road trip.

I agree.
From some posters we need more goalies for 3rd and 4th rounders. I mean other teams have traded for Scrivens and expect him to take them to the playoffs. He is a savior with the same quality team as the Isles.

This is a team game and goalies cannot win it by themselves. Is Poulin lights out? No. Hasek was lights out but had a real good team around him. Roy had a real good teams around him. Quick had real good teams around him. The Queen had good teams around him or at least spend to get that team. We do not have it internally and have limited buying power.

The Isles will probably not pick up a goalie in FA because Nabby will come back as a backup at his age.

Sometimes I wonder what people expect. I rather not oblige the few crazies on this board.

Our model cannot follow and Chicago / Pittsburgh model because we did not get multiple STARS in the draft. Chicago has financial resources. Pittsburgh had 2 world class stars fall in their lap. Chicago had 2 world class stars fall in their lap. Pitt has am #1 Defense-man. Chicago got a #1 and #2 defense-man in the draft. We are still in rebuild mode and will be for 2 years.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I agree.
From some posters we need more goalies for 3rd and 4th rounders. I mean other teams have traded for Scrivens and expect him to take them to the playoffs. He is a savior with the same quality team as the Isles.

This is a team game and goalies cannot win it by themselves. Is Poulin lights out? No. Hasek was lights out but had a real good team around him. Roy had a real good teams around him. Quick had real good teams around him. The Queen had good teams around him or at least spend to get that team. We do not have it internally and have limited buying power.

The Isles will probably not pick up a goalie in FA because Nabby will come back as a backup at his age.

Sometimes I wonder what people expect. I rather not oblige the few crazies on this board.

Our model cannot follow and Chicago / Pittsburgh model because we did not get multiple STARS in the draft. Chicago has financial resources. Pittsburgh had 2 world class stars fall in their lap. Chicago had 2 world class stars fall in their lap. Pitt has am #1 Defense-man. Chicago got a #1 and #2 defense-man in the draft. We are still in rebuild mode and will be for 2 years.

See that's where I disagree with some.

We had two goalies readily available if Snow gave up the first and Niño.

He should've just signed Boyes instead of signing PMB. I was all for letting Boyes go IF we upgraded him. If Nabby/Poulin is the tandem next year this team is not serious.

WHat rebuilds take this long? I mean seriously...

What is this gonna be a 10 year rebuild? We still have no depth, no goalie, and never spend any money. Nobody is being "crazy" by saying Snow shouldve had Bernier. Nobody is being "crazy" by wanting a top 4 defenseman.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
See that's where I disagree with some.

We had two goalies readily available if Snow gave up the first and Niño.

He should've just signed Boyes instead of signing PMB. I was all for letting Boyes go IF we upgraded him. If Nabby/Poulin is the tandem next year this team is not serious.

WHat rebuilds take this long? I mean seriously...

What is this gonna be a 10 year rebuild? We still have no depth, no goalie, and never spend any money. Nobody is being "crazy" by saying Snow shouldve had Bernier. Nobody is being "crazy" by wanting a top 4 defenseman.

Maybe "Crazy" is a harsh word. I just think it is unrealistic based on this teams' finances, location, quality depth in minors and on the team. We have hardly any quality older players (our younger players are becoming that group). I wish it was faster like all fans but this is not as fast as other locations because of mitigating factors.

MaryChristine*

I agree.

Everything is roses and jelly beans in your world. You just love this team so much! It's as if you're oblivious to all the years of losing. Everyone is awesome! :shakehead

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Everything is roses and jelly beans in your world. You just love this team so much! It's as if you're oblivious to all the years of losing. Everyone is awesome! :shakehead

I rather be see it through rose color glasses than be in the pits all my life.

Does negativity brighten up your day? Does it accomplish anything in your day?

I say "move forward" and "bring on brighter days".

Paulinho

No Man's Sky
Jun 8, 2003
Earth
I rather be see it through rose color glasses than be in the pits all my life.

Does negativity brighten up your day? Does it accomplish anything in your day?

I say "move forward" and "bring on brighter days".

:laugh: It's hockey guy. If pretending every thing is okay with this organization makes following the team more enjoyable for you then good for you. But don't call those who are seeing things for what they really are crazies.

You can start a thousand positive Poulin threads it doesn't make Poulin a good goalie. A six game stretch in between a year of garbage doesn't make him a good goalie.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
:laugh: It's hockey guy. If pretending every thing is okay with this organization makes following the team more enjoyable for you then good for you. But don't call those who are seeing things for what they really are crazies.

You can start a thousand positive Poulin threads it doesn't make Poulin a good goalie. A six game stretch in between a year of garbage doesn't make him a good goalie.

:welcome::sueme::cheers:

Paulinho

No Man's Sky
Jun 8, 2003
Earth

tumblr_mfvwz3Rd241rmd6uzo1_250.gif
tumblr_mfvwz3Rd241rmd6uzo2_250.gif
tumblr_mfvwz3Rd241rmd6uzo3_250.gif
tumblr_mfvwz3Rd241rmd6uzo4_250.gif

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Maybe "Crazy" is a harsh word. I just think it is unrealistic based on this teams' finances, location, quality depth in minors and on the team. We have hardly any quality older players (our younger players are becoming that group). I wish it was faster like all fans but this is not as fast as other locations because of mitigating factors.

All the solutions I presented weren't unrealistic though. Nobody forced Snow to not sign Boyes and sign PMB and Regin instead of Boyes and Bernier. I do like your positive outlook though and I have one too. What's the point of watching without one?

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
All the solutions I presented weren't unrealistic though. Nobody forced Snow to not sign Boyes and sign PMB and Regin instead of Boyes and Bernier. I do like your positive outlook though and I have one too. What's the point of watching without one?

Look Snow is not perfect, we can agree on that. The issue is that he has to make room for youngins as well as look to improve the team overall.

Boyes is good on the 1st line but not so much on the 2nd or 3rd lines of a team.

If the talk was true about Vanek during the offseason, than Garth was leaving that position open for Vanek, no need for Boyes.

Bernier would have been a good catch but Garth has a certain value, I assume, on a player like Bernier. He could be a Scrivens clone with that "D" in LA.

Agree 1000% on the highlighted part! :clap: :cheers:

Last edited:

David Volek1993

Jan 6, 2014
Poulin had a bad game in Philly but for the most part he has been good since the Nabby injury. Don't really rate Poulin that high as he seems to be all over the place to man times for my liking. He is still young but i doubt i have my doubts he will be a number 1 goalie in the NHL.

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
I consider the prequels EU (expanded universe) because they contradict the original trilogy. Revenge of the **** is the most tolerable but again it doesn't fit with the original story. Do or do not their is no try. ...but you can run away like a little punk cgi yoda. Leis remembers her mother all 5 seconds she met her when she was a newborn. Obi wan didn't remember every owing a droid, or he just happen to borrow one in all the movies....Lucas should have watched the trilogy before he wrote episode 1. Would have been helpful.

To take this further off topic for a moment, you can pretty much stop at Ep. 5.

6 wasn't horrific, but it was the first where marketing and toy sales were higher priority than the plot of the movie. The SW universe switched from human-centric to alien-centric and our ability to identify with the characters and the worlds we are presented with suffers.

Now, back on to topic, I think anyone judging Poulin's career at this point is jumpiong the gun. Most goalies develop slowly and if you look at the stats of the vast majority who have had long careers, their first few seasons are going to be a mixed bag. Add to that that we haven't seen a healthy defense in front of him (or Nabby) pretty much all season and it's challenging to truly read much into performance. The fact that he has been able to have a decent stretch on this road trip is a testament to him having the tools - can he put it together for more than a handful of games? Time will tell.

Janson

fireSNOW
Aug 5, 2007
Islander Country
To take this further off topic for a moment, you can pretty much stop at Ep. 5.

6 wasn't horrific, but it was the first where marketing and toy sales were higher priority than the plot of the movie. The SW universe switched from human-centric to alien-centric and our ability to identify with the characters and the worlds we are presented with suffers.

Now, back on to topic, I think anyone judging Poulin's career at this point is jumpiong the gun. Most goalies develop slowly and if you look at the stats of the vast majority who have had long careers, their first few seasons are going to be a mixed bag. Add to that that we haven't seen a healthy defense in front of him (or Nabby) pretty much all season and it's challenging to truly read much into performance. The fact that he has been able to have a decent stretch on this road trip is a testament to him having the tools - can he put it together for more than a handful of games? Time will tell.

Great post. Time will tell but you can evaluate what we have seen this far. Basically his game needs work, wish he could just improve his positioning on the shooter. It would cut down alot of his bad goals.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I agree.

Are you for real? Bernier, bishop, Schneider all great young goalies moves for reasonable prices...nothing. Even guys like Khudobin cost no assets and they would be an upgrade. Goaltending has been an issue for years with this organization and has not been answered. Guys like Scrivens signed at the beginning of the year could of well been a saviour or at least out this team in the playoff hunt.

Nobody is trying to win a cup on this board by suggesting we need better goaltending we are just trying to win some games first.

Anderson took an AHL team to the 2nd round last year. Goalies are the one position that can absolutely make up for huge deficiencies. Most goalies in the NHL can put together a couple good games in a row. It's wether you can continuously play well and win big games and we don't seem to have that.

Last edited:

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Are you for real? Bernier, bishop, Schneider all great young goalies moves for reasonable prices...nothing. Even guys like Khudobin cost no assets and they would be an upgrade. Goaltending has been an issue for years with this organization and has not been answered. Guys like Scrivens signed at the beginning of the year could of well been a saviour or at least out this team in the playoff hunt.

Nobody is trying to win a cup on this board by suggesting we need better goaltending we are just trying to win some games first.

Anderson took an AHL team to the 2nd round last year. Goalies are the one position that can absolutely make up for huge deficiencies. Most goalies in the NHL can put together a couple good games in a row. It's wether you can continuously play well and win big games and we don't seem to have that.

Not only the goalie but the rest of the team.

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
Poulin has had a few moments but bottom line is he is barely mediocre. Save pct <.90 aint cutting it on any team sub .500 or not.

Team has so many problems current goaltending is not good enough to carry a bad team.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
As one if his biggest fans, it brings a smile to my face to see him playing well. 7-2 his last 9 starts.

He has his flaws, and they show when the team is not playing well defensively. If you are labeling/judging him at the ripe ol' age of 23, then I think you should ask your Dr. for horse tranquilizers...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad