Kevin Lowe - The Most Inept Executive in NHL History

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Think about it, if it wasn't for Pocklington, Gretzky wouldn't be here. That could mean, no Oilers dynasty. And no Oilers dynasty could've meant the Oilers leaving in the 1990s.

Face it, the Oilers had one foot out the door and were going to follow the footsteps of Winnipeg and Quebec. I have a feeling that the Oilers were spared mostly because the Oilers rich history.

With that said, Pocklington > Lowe.

Kevin Lowe is the biggest villain in Oilers history. Pocklington is Darth Vader and Lowe is Emperor Palpatine.

Lowe is Inspector Clouseau!!!

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
I think it also needs to be said that the players aren't the ones embarrassing the city. It's the owner and the management that can't put together a team that can finish out of the bottom 3.

Board Gordon

Light Up The World
Jun 13, 2014
Please dont believe this for a second. If an employee really wants to go they can go. Look at your own job. Just window dressing from this incompetent management group. Lowe wants a job for life. Guy probably would be homeless without Katz.

Guess I should have put it in quotes. It was obvious bs. Typical of this org.

My nerd quote of the day. "Change is good".

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Katz has probably given Lowe & MacT one more year IMO. If they are bottom 3 next year, I'm sure they are fired.

That could have been said this time of any other year, never going to happen.

MacT even stated that next year is developmental, taking all pressure to perform away.

Bold, impatient man that he is.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I think it also needs to be said that the players aren't the ones embarrassing the city. It's the owner and the management that can't put together a team that can finish out of the bottom 3.

The players are also responsible for this mess as they could give a ****.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The players are also responsible for this mess as they could give a ****.

One of the primary tasks of a GM is to create an environment conducive to winning.

I think you would agree that this Management team has failed miserably in that regard.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Gilbert and Petry looking great tonight after Subban got the boot. What a surprise.

I feel like a lot of our under performing D would really be different players under a different org. Hell Schultz could even be an NHLer with a strong system to develop in.

But we already know that right?

Hell, even Potter is contributing to success in Calgary.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Please dont believe this for a second. If an employee really wants to go they can go. Look at your own job. Just window dressing from this incompetent management group. Lowe wants a job for life. Guy probably would be homeless without Katz.

There is no way any other team in the NHL would hire KLowe for anything other than janitorial work.

Look at MacT, after he was fired by the Oilers the only job he could get was a head coaching job for Vancouvers AHL team, where he lost in the first round of the playoffs.

Howsen of course was hired and fired from the Columbus Blue Jackets organization.

I think it's a pretty good bet that once this trio of hockey wizards are gone from the Oilers, they will likely be done as management in the NHL. With some luck they'll find some pro-scouting work in the Eastern European pro leagues.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Those going with the Milbury comparison, Milbury was involved in New York for 11 seasons gaining 803 points in 902 games (.890 PPG). Lowe in his leadership roles has gone 14 season earning 1077 points in 1114 games (.966 PPG).

However, 4 of Milburys seasons didn't have the loser points yet, and only two seasons had the Shootout (guaranteed winner), whereas Lowe has had the loser point in every one of his seasons and shootouts for 9 of his 14 seasons. I suspect pulling out the loser points plus the extra points for wins in Shootout would put them pretty much on equal footing with Lowe being slightly lower (I think Lowe has 109 loser points to Milburys 24, and Lowe has 55 shootout wins to Milburys 17).

Milburys trades are infamous, but Lowe has quite a few crazy moments himself that people forget like the Comrie ransom and record wise there isn't much to separate the two.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
There is no way any other team in the NHL would hire KLowe for anything other than janitorial work.

Look at MacT, after he was fired by the Oilers the only job he could get was a head coaching job for Vancouvers AHL team, where he lost in the first round of the playoffs.

Howsen of course was hired and fired from the Columbus Blue Jackets organization.

I think it's a pretty good bet that once this trio of hockey wizards are gone from the Oilers, they will likely be done as management in the NHL. With some luck they'll find some pro-scouting work in the Eastern European pro leagues.
I don't know about that. They don't seem to be very good at cleaning up messes.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yes we can.

Proof is in the pudding. Eakins is saying it will be 5 more years before we turn it around. 14 years is the new goal. And even then Hall/Eberle/Nuge will be gone. From the returns we've been getting from these trades, I expect a late 1st for all of them, with a 3/4 DMan. Then we screw up the draft and development of those late 1sts.

Not to sound overly dramatic, but I don't see the Oilers making the playoffs for the next 20 years with these guys in charge. They've prove they are stupid, reactive, and emotional people who make rash decisions based on impulse.

They are trying to compete with level headed intelligent, meticulous people, who are thorough, rational, and logical.

Eakins is an idiot, his opinion means sweet **** all to me. 5 more years if we kept his sorry ass as coach maybe. Barring MacT trading our core players for younger players or duds I don't see how we aren't in the postseason within 5 seasons. Hopefully Katz wakes up and fires Lowe and MacT and a real GM comes in and has us in the playoff hunt next season by moving a few of our young trading chips and picks.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I wish he was Clouseau...at least Clouseau's incompetence managed to somehow defy the odds and win out over all opposition.

Inspector Loweseau is more like a sad, pathetic version of this that could never defeat Kato.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: good one!!!!! (ze phyone is ringanga)

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

for me, its beyond the results. What's embarrassing is the despicable and pathetic way they are being run. the ultimate, head-in-the-sand, deluded, denialists.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Those going with the Milbury comparison, Milbury was involved in New York for 11 seasons gaining 803 points in 902 games (.890 PPG). Lowe in his leadership roles has gone 14 season earning 1077 points in 1114 games (.966 PPG).

However, 4 of Milburys seasons didn't have the loser points yet, and only two seasons had the Shootout (guaranteed winner), whereas Lowe has had the loser point in every one of his seasons and shootouts for 9 of his 14 seasons. I suspect pulling out the loser points plus the extra points for wins in Shootout would put them pretty much on equal footing with Lowe being slightly lower (I think Lowe has 109 loser points to Milburys 24, and Lowe has 55 shootout wins to Milburys 17).

Milburys trades are infamous, but Lowe has quite a few crazy moments himself that people forget like the Comrie ransom and record wise there isn't much to separate the two.

looks what Mad Mike got for guys Like BErtuzzi and Luongo and a whole pile of other young studs--NYI have just now come out of the mayhem

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Eakins is an idiot, his opinion means sweet **** all to me. 5 more years if we kept his sorry ass as coach maybe. Barring MacT trading our core players for younger players or duds I don't see how we aren't in the postseason within 5 seasons. Hopefully Katz wakes up and fires Lowe and MacT and a real GM comes in and has us in the playoff hunt next season by moving a few of our young trading chips and picks.

I will go ahead and COMPLETELY disagree with you here.

Irregardless of timeline, These are the players we need to make the post season:
- Starting Goaltender
- Top pairing Dmen
- High end 2nd Line Center.

But let's take things a step further:
  • Nobody likes Kevin Lowe and the OBC, so none of the higher end Free Agents will sign here.
  • We have the worst asset management in the NHL.
  • We have the worst professional scouting in the NHL
  • We have some of the worst Amateur scouting in the NHL

With all of these factors combined, we have a scenario people aptly call 'Spinning their Wheels'.

This is how Oilers assess Talent:
- ONE player goes on a 'Run' receives a massive 'overpayment' contract.
- The others on the team want the same pay.
- Despite outperforming the high performance contract, they are given the 'Shaft', and are dealt for picks at the deadline, while we are saddled with the Albatross.
- Because our Amateur and professional Scouting is so putrid, we receive back lowe caliber players than the ones we dealt away.

Wanna know how bad our Talent Assessment is?
Look at what our roster COULD Have looked like if we simply retained our key players, and signed a few complimentary UFA's, and kept everyone to reasonable cap-friendly contracts, and everyone WANTED to stay and play for this management:

Pouliot - RNH - Eberle
Hall - Horcoff - Yakupov
Glencross - Cogliano - Hemsky
Hendricks - Gagner - Gordon
Lander

Visnovsky - Petry
Gilbert - Souray
Klefbom - Ferrence
Schultz

Devan Dubnyk
Ben Scrivens

As of today, that would have been a team battling for a WildCard spot.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2008
Think about it, if it wasn't for Pocklington, Gretzky wouldn't be here. That could mean, no Oilers dynasty. And no Oilers dynasty could've meant the Oilers leaving in the 1990s.

Face it, the Oilers had one foot out the door and were going to follow the footsteps of Winnipeg and Quebec. I have a feeling that the Oilers were spared mostly because the Oilers rich history.

With that said, Pocklington > Lowe.

Kevin Lowe is the biggest villain in Oilers history. Pocklington is Darth Vader and Lowe is Emperor Palpatine.

Think about this.

1. The Oilers existed BEFORE Wayne Gretzky was a part of the team and were wildly popular even before they ever played in the NHL.

2. A large part of the reason for the dire financial straits of the team was BECAUSE of Peter Pocklington and people's extreme distaste for the man.

3. Peter Pocklington is a convicted criminal and scam artist. Kevin Lowe is just very bad at his job. Can you see the difference?

Oct 15, 2008
I will go ahead and COMPLETELY disagree with you here.

Irregardless of timeline, These are the players we need to make the post season:
- Starting Goaltender
- Top pairing Dmen
- High end 2nd Line Center.

But let's take things a step further:
  • Nobody likes Kevin Lowe and the OBC, so none of the higher end Free Agents will sign here.
  • We have the worst asset management in the NHL.
  • We have the worst professional scouting in the NHL
  • We have some of the worst Amateur scouting in the NHL

With all of these factors combined, we have a scenario people aptly call 'Spinning their Wheels'.

This is how Oilers assess Talent:
- ONE player goes on a 'Run' receives a massive 'overpayment' contract.
- The others on the team want the same pay.
- Despite outperforming the high performance contract, they are given the 'Shaft', and are dealt for picks at the deadline, while we are saddled with the Albatross.
- Because our Amateur and professional Scouting is so putrid, we receive back lowe caliber players than the ones we dealt away.

Wanna know how bad our Talent Assessment is?
Look at what our roster COULD Have looked like if we simply retained our key players, and signed a few complimentary UFA's, and kept everyone to reasonable cap-friendly contracts, and everyone WANTED to stay and play for this management:

Pouliot - RNH - Eberle
Hall - Horcoff - Yakupov
Glencross - Cogliano - Hemsky
Hendricks - Gagner - Gordon
Lander

Visnovsky - Petry
Gilbert - Souray
Klefbom - Ferrence
Schultz

Devan Dubnyk
Ben Scrivens

As of today, that would have been a team battling for a WildCard spot.

Brodziak>Snowpants.

Are you sure you dont want to add Whitney?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad