Confirmed with Link: Kevin Lowe Retiring as Vice Chair

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I'm looking up what responsibilities an "ambassador" has. Hopefully none, and unpaid. But then again he's had no job description for years.

Its sad that a man actually drastically reduced his reputation through his poor management. Some people would be best suited to just walk away from hockey when playing career is done. Had K Lowe done that he would be revered and respected. K lowe never had the right tone for management and this exhibited far back as Comrie debacle and then later with Ryan Smyth, Its weird that a player that lobbied for player rights wanted none of it for players once he became a manager himself.
You got to be kidding. How did he not do a good job? He stepped away from player decisions on the oilers ages ago. Still with the sour something or other.

Duder54

1659495666204.gif

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I'm looking up what responsibilities an "ambassador" has. Hopefully none, and unpaid. But then again he's had no job description for years.

Its sad that a man actually drastically reduced his reputation through his poor management. Some people would be best suited to just walk away from hockey when playing career is done. Had K Lowe done that he would be revered and respected. K lowe never had the right tone for management and this exhibited far back as Comrie debacle and then later with Ryan Smyth, Its weird that a player that lobbied for player rights wanted none of it for players once he became a manager himself.
This is the correct answer right here but let's not forget about the ridiculous Souray blackballing.

Why would any good player ever want to come here when they know they're conveniently getting blasted in the press on the way out the door. It didn't start with Lowe but he perfected it.

This has been his legacy to me.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Interesting interview with Gregor. Had an interesting comment about what I'm assume was Tambelleni. Something along the lines of you "let your GM do his thing, all you can do is give advice. Even though sometimes you didn't agree with him".

Wonder what moves he didn't like. Bulin in, Rollie out? Brodziak out in favour of Pouilot? Signing Comrie? Cogliano for pick?

Other thing that was widely surprising was when he was talking about ambassadors of the team. He mentioned Brodziak, Pisani and Chimera. I thought there was a lot of bad blood between Chimera and the Oil? Or was it just Chimera and MacT?

This is the correct answer right here but let's not forget about the ridiculous Souray blackballing.

Why would any good player ever want to come here when they know they're conveniently getting blasted in the press on the way out the door. It didn't start with Lowe but he perfected it.

He wasn't even the GM when that happened

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Yep. I was going to specifically mention the Souray debacle too. But theres been so many and a longlist. The constant is that K Lowe demonstrated repeated instances of avarice to Fans, players, and media. In his managerial timeframe he was caustic with everybody. Even other managers. Its like everybody was a suspect or enemy. All told the worst cringe worthy episodes of the org since the Comrie debacle have been mostly Lowe. Nichols, MacT, Katz had some as well but Lowe initiated so many of the worst events. Its bad we could easily make a list of a dozen Lowe debacles. Episodes where he just created rancor. This occurring in a pro sport business that requires fans to function, and third tier fans.

Reactions: Aerchon

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Nice tip in by Gretz....
Yep. This. Even at that time people watching were saying it was Gretz that tipped it in. Even further in broadcast I recall them wondering. But they didn't change it and the NHL was less concerned with changing the scoresheets back then. Seems like Lowe missed the net and Gretz tipped it in. The goalie reaction to the play gives that indication as well. It was a bit funny how Lowe quickly took credit for the goal and Gretz the star just let that happen for the team mate. Gretz of course going onto have a career of noteworthy moments. He gave Lowe this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad