Seravalli: Kevin Labanc waived by the Sharks (or not)

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
What's the deal with this guy? Obviously not worth the contract but seems to produce decently for a bottom six guy. One dimensional, can only play in the top six, kinda guy?

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I'm convinced that the only reason sj signed him to his current contract is because he took that 1x1 a few years back. He looked good the year before and just never amounted to anything after that.
Respect to Doug Wilson for upholding his end of the bargain, but yeah it seemed clear at the time it was a way to get out of their cap situation and keep the band together to try and win a cup.

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
Respect to Doug Wilson for upholding his end of the bargain, but yeah it seemed clear at the time it was a way to get out of their cap situation and keep the band together to try and win a cup.

This 100%
I guess it benefit everyone at the time. Even now at 4.75 doesn't hurt sj in any way.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He’s a slow-thinking winger who plays a sloppy game. He’s got NHL offensive skills but he’s a bad top six winger and a bad bottom six winger at this point. He’s also a poster child for hammering some of the analytics math models which see him as an impactful player. Definitely a loophole there.

-10000% he gets claimed at that hit.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
His previous contract was arguably the best in the league and his current likely won’t get claimed. Wild.
I’m not sure he gets claimed at a quarter of his current salary.

He’s a complete reclamation project at this point. I think both his on ice play and mentality is currently in need of major rehab.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
When I need a chuckle, I'll re-read posts from summer 2019 from a couple Devils fans who were convinced that offer sheeting Labanc (and giving up an unprotected 1st) was the solution to our problems.

Reactions: Guttersniped

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
If they weren't going to play him and now don't even want him, why didn't they just buy him out over the summer? He had a really low buyout number, if I recall.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Pretty crazy he had a helluva season, helped the Sharks circumvent the cap, and then never came close to living up to the contract when he finally did get paid

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad