Prospect Info: Kevin Korchinski, 7th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
What can he learn in Seattle that he cannot learn in Chicago? So no, I do not agree that Korchinski should be in Seattle.

Maybe I phrased it poorly.
I believe Korchinski should ideally be in Rockford, not Seattle.
Unfortunately, the NHL/OHL agreement does not allow that until he turns 20 years old.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I think everyone agrees Rockford would have been most ideal for Korchinski. At the point where it becomes a choice between WHL or NHL, I think teams focused on development would rather prematurely graduate a player to pro. To be honest, I'd probably say go back to Junior and play a complete game but I've heard the line of thought from exec people that says we don't want bad habits, just get him into the pro environment and trial by fire him.

Would love if the NHL could flex a bit more exceptions to its CHL Transfer Agreement. Why does Shane Wright get to play in the AHL at 19 just because he was "exceptional" once upon a time and Korchinski doesn't when he went just three picks later...

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I think everyone agrees Rockford would have been most ideal for Korchinski. At the point where it becomes a choice between WHL or NHL, I think teams focused on development would rather prematurely graduate a player to pro. To be honest, I'd probably say go back to Junior and play a complete game but I've heard the line of thought from exec people that says we don't want bad habits, just get him into the pro environment and trial by fire him.

Would love if the NHL could flex a bit more exceptions to its CHL Transfer Agreement. Why does Shane Wright get to play in the AHL at 19 just because he was "exceptional" once upon a time and Korchinski doesn't when he went just three picks later...
Well with the CHL-NCAA route, the CHL better figure it out because they'll most of the good players after D0 anyway to the NCAA.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Really wish there was a first rounder exception that can be used by NHL teams on one player of their choosing that could give them the opportunity to play in the AHL over having to report back to their junior club. Even if it’s limited to guys who already played a draft +1 season just so guys like Korchinski can face better competition instead of facing 16 year olds

KK isn’t going to learn much playing a bunch of 16-19 year olds in a draft +2 season.

Dach also needed that but instead Stain bowman had other plans and we ruined him

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Tell that to Pietrangelo
That was one they really hemmed and hawed on for a long time. They scratched him like 10 times and dragged out his nine games the second time (he played 8 the season before). Then they assigned him to the World Juniors and then finally assigned him back to the OHL in January while preserving the ELC slide. He had struggled a lot in those 9 games during the 2009-10 season but it obviously worked out for him as he was great as soon as next season in the OHL.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Really wish there was a first rounder exception that can be used by NHL teams on one player of their choosing that could give them the opportunity to play in the AHL over having to report back to their junior club.

KK isn’t going to learn much playing a bunch of 16-19 year olds in a draft +2 season.

Dach also needed that but instead Stain bowman had other plans and we ruined him
Great idea....take upwards of 20 of the highest profile players out of the CHL. Those guys sell tickets for the CHL. Taking them out of the league weakens the NHL's number one feeder league.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
The USHL ---> NCAA route for Canadians is no doubt already better than the CHL at this point. Other than growing up watching their idols dominate the CHL, there really is no draw.
And yet more future NHL talent still plays in the CHL than any other league.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Great idea....take upwards of 20 of the highest profile players out of the CHL. Those guys sell tickets for the CHL. Taking them out of the league weakens the NHL's number one feeder league.
"Our business model is the suppression of labor" is not a compelling argument for me.

...And big deal, someone else can "sell tickets for the CHL", those guys can now "sell tickets for the AHL" which is the NHL's actual and direct feeder league. I say "shut up and take your Transfer Fee". There's no reason Korchinski should not be playing in the AHL because of some stupid Transfer Agreement thing. It just leads to more players getting prematurely placed in the NHL before they're fully ready than it is protect the almighty CHL brand.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
"Our business model is the suppression of labor" is not a compelling argument for me.

...And big deal, someone else can "sell tickets for the CHL", those guys can now "sell tickets for the AHL" which is the NHL's actual and direct feeder league. I say "shut up and take your Transfer Fee". There's no reason Korchinski should not be playing in the AHL because of some stupid Transfer Agreement thing. It just leads to more players getting prematurely placed in the NHL before they're fully ready than it is protect the almighty CHL brand.
The "stupid Transfer Agreement thing" is in place to protect the CHL from being depleted of some of its most saleable talent. I'm not saying Korchinski would not have been better served in the A. But sometimes what is better for a single or small number of players each year, is less important than what is better for a league as a whole.

And if it makes you feel better, go ahead and believe that the A is the actual feeder league for the NHL, but ask yourself what is the biggest feeder for the A.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The "stupid Transfer Agreement thing" is in place to protect the CHL
That may have been a compelling thing then they were the one and only location for junior aged players with NHL futures. The original transfer agreement was a replacement for the end of the NHL's direct sponsorship of Junior Hockey. That time has come and gone. Only 11 out of 32 first round picks were CHL players last season.
from being depleted of some of its most saleable talent.
They get "depleted" of their "saleable talent" every year anyways because players age out, and some prematurely go to the NHL. Like 5 more guys a year isn't going to fundamentally change anything. Keep the line moving, everyone move up a spot. Taken further, your logic could be extended. They have to protect the "saleable" 19 year olds.. so why not 20? why not 21? why not 22? They would he even more "saleable" if every U23 player had to stay in the Junior league! All of it is arbitrary to begin with.
I'm not saying Korchinski would not have been better served in the A. But sometimes what is better for a single or small number of players each year, is less important than what is better for a league as a whole.
The only league as a whole that the NHL should be concerned about is the NHL. If they want to protect their Hockey Canada buddies and are going to continue to make NHL-based decisions on that basis, that's an inefficiency.
And if it makes you feel better, go ahead and believe that the A is the actual feeder league for the NHL,
That's not "making me feel better", those are direct farm systems. Many are even owned directly by the NHL.
but ask yourself what is the biggest feeder for the A.
Exactly, so let the Korchinskis of the world play there.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
That may have been a compelling thing then they were the one and only location for junior aged players with NHL futures. The original transfer agreement was a replacement for the end of the NHL's direct sponsorship of Junior Hockey. That time has come and gone. Only 11 out of 32 first round picks were CHL players last season.

They get "depleted" of their "saleable talent" every year anyways because players age out, and some prematurely go to the NHL. Like 5 more guys a year isn't going to fundamentally change anything. Keep the line moving, everyone move up a spot. Taken further, your logic could be extended. They have to protect the "saleable" 19 year olds.. so why not 20? why not 21? why not 22? They would he even more "saleable" if every U23 player had to stay in the Junior league! All of it is arbitrary to begin with.

The only league as a whole that the NHL should be concerned about is the NHL. If they want to protect their Hockey Canada buddies and are going to continue to make NHL-based decisions on that basis, that's an inefficiency.

That's not "making me feel better", those are direct farm systems. Many are even owned directly by the NHL.

Exactly, so let the Korchinskis of the world play there.
Breaking down your post, paragraph by paragraph, because I don't know how to separate the paragraphs into separate quotes:

-...which is still more than any other league.

-Taking my argument to a ridiculous extent does not disprove my argument. It just proves your ready to go to a ridiculous extent to try to prove yours.

-So you're saying the NHL shouldn't be concerned about the health of the leagues that are responsible for feeding them talent? Seems pretty short-sighted.

-I think you're confusing a feeder league with a developmental league. The two types of leagues have entirely different purposes.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
The CHL will be fine no matter what. Kids should play their D+1 and then be able to do what they want after. New kids will come up and fill the holes and honestly it might be better because players who have no business being there won’t be taking up ice time.

Reactions: ColbyChaos

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Really wish there was a first rounder exception that can be used by NHL teams on one player of their choosing that could give them the opportunity to play in the AHL over having to report back to their junior club.

Almost every Dman that's drafted from the CHL plays out his Junior career. There are exceptions, but I think quite clearly, Korchinski shouldn't have been one of them. They drafted Korchinski to be an elite facilitator of the puck and run their PP in the NHL. He wasn't ready to do either of those things in the NHL this year. So why was he here? There's certainly value to playing in the NHL but is it worth it to have Korchinski play a style of game that doesn't serve him long-term simply to survive at this level?

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Almost every Dman that's drafted from the CHL plays out his Junior career. There are exceptions, but I think quite clearly, Korchinski shouldn't have been one of them. They drafted Korchinski to be an elite facilitator of the puck and run their PP in the NHL. He wasn't ready to do either of those things in the NHL this year. So why was he here? There's certainly value to playing in the NHL but is it worth it to have Korchinski play a style of game that doesn't serve him long-term simply to survive at this level?

The whole point is he should have been able to play in the AHL this year. But because of an arbitrary birthday he couldn’t.

Reactions: ColbyChaos

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

I mean, he has hardly played on the power play at all. Do we really know he can't run the PP?

Reactions: hockeydoug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad