Kevin Hayes

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Seeing that the Hawks haven't signed their 2010 first rounder Kevin Hayes, so he's now a UFA.....left winger where the Canucks are thin.....could they sign him and would they be intersted?.....65 points in 40 games at Boston College...wondering if the same thing could happen to Ben Hutton after his senior year at Maine?....tough to lose any draft pick, but seems to happen a lot to Chicago...didn't they lose Billy Sweatt the same way?:shakehead

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
I don't even think he is on the Canucks' radar. Virtanen, Shinkaruk & Jensen are all equal or better prospects.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Don't see it either. There really isn't room for him on the roster and that is what he will be negotiating for with the teams he wants to sign with. Maybe if we traded one of the bottom 6 to create a role for him, but I don't see it.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I can't see any problem in going after him. You're getting a quality prospect for free. But by all accounts it looks like the Canucks have no interest.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Benning should by all means make an attempt to get him, but I dont think it'll happen.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Rangers, Pengs and Bruins have too many much better players to guarantee him a spot. Even the coyotes would be pushing it to fit him in. The only team on that list that could give him NHL time is Calgary.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Rumor is he wants a two year full cap hit contract with a verble agreement he makes the team. Do not know if it is true, but he had one good year in uni after struggling and he is hoping to hit pay dirt. I do not follow uni hockey as much as I did, but the guys I know who do call him a poor man Dustin Penner

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Canucks have shown 0 interest... He is asking for a top six role in signing with a NHL Team.

Flames, Bruins, Rangers, Coyotes and Penguins kicking tires

Big No Thanks

Yea I don't agree with handing a spot but really we don't have much for scoring for the 2nd line.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
Rumor is he wants a two year full cap hit contract with a verble agreement he makes the team. Do not know if it is true, but he had one good year in uni after struggling and he is hoping to hit pay dirt. I do not follow uni hockey as much as I did, but the guys I know who do call him a poor man Dustin Penner

The Gaudreau effect.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
canucks should just ****ing straight up lie to these dudes. who the **** is going to punish them? other dudes that demand top six ice time out of college? oh no future free agent we have 0% chance of getting in 2019, please don't have a poor opinion of the lie we told some stupid kid in 2014

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'm sure there's some level of "interest" from the Canucks, but as others have suggested...it really comes down to the same thing as the whole stupid Justin Schultz saga. Guys like this who want prime opportunities without working for them are trouble...and while they may be talented trouble, it's still not the sort of attitude our Brass want to entrench here. There's no way we can compete with other ****tier teams who can guarantee him an NHL roster spot right away because they're completely awful and don't care about winning. If he's after that...we're not contenders.

Anyway, remember when we signed the much vaunted Blackhawks 2nd rounder Billy Sweatt and his fire hydrant sized broseph Lee and so many people here were thinking we'd robbed Chicago of some sort of future NHLer? :laugh:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
canucks should just ****ing straight up lie to these dudes. who the **** is going to punish them? other dudes that demand top six ice time out of college? oh no future free agent we have 0% chance of getting in 2019, please don't have a poor opinion of the lie we told some stupid kid in 2014

Yeah, lying to players is one of the very best ways to go about business.

1)they turn into a real legit player and you lied to their face and now they hate you and want to leave at the first opportunity.

2)they suck afterall and they still hate you and spread word of your douchebaggery among their friends and the community at large.

Being a ******** untrustworthy Manager is clearly the best strategy.

medhatcanuck

Jul 8, 2010
Inside JayZ's Belly

1)they turn into a real legit player and you lied to their face and now they hate you and want to leave at the first opportunity.

2)they suck afterall and they still hate you and spread word of your douchebaggery among their friends and the community at large.

Being a ******** untrustworthy Manager is clearly the best strategy.

3) Breach of Contracual Obligations. Believe it or not these lawyers know what they're doing.

4) Loss of Reputation and never being able to sign another top NCAA FA again.

So yes lieing to the players is possibly the dumbest move a GM could make.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

ok so you get a free asset and trade them for assets that want to be with the club. i guess we lose out because uh.... help me out here

darn, we lost a bad quality, free asset after 2-5 years and they said mean things about us to their friends. oh noooooooooo

3) Breach of Contracual Obligations. Believe it or not these lawyers know what they're doing.

you know that ice time is not a thing you are allowed to guarantee in an nhl contract, right?

4) Loss of Reputation and never being able to sign another top NCAA FA again.

Darnit Our Reputation!!!!! imagine the direct and quantifiable loss we'd suffer because a 22 year old guy said "they promised me ice time and i was a ****** player". how would we deal with that... i dont know... maybe... i dont want to know

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
i guess now that i think about it, us signing matthieu schneider and not playing him is pretty much the reason nobody likes the canucks. oops

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
ok so you get a free asset and trade them for assets that want to be with the club. i guess we lose out because uh.... help me out here

darn, we lost a bad quality, free asset after 2-5 years and they said mean things about us to their friends. oh noooooooooo

you know that ice time is not a thing you are allowed to guarantee in an nhl contract, right?

Darnit Our Reputation!!!!! imagine the direct and quantifiable loss we'd suffer because a 22 year old guy said "they promised me ice time and i was a ****** player". how would we deal with that... i dont know... maybe... i dont want to know

I really don't think you have even the slightest grasp on how NHL interpersonal relationships work if this is your steadfast opinion on how situations should be managed, and the resulting consequences of such actions.

Whether or not you agree with the way the NHL management community operates...it's an old boys club, and that sort of attitude is a good way to piss off absolutely everyone....including future Kevin Hayes types who may even be better and more worthwile to sign.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Don't see it either. There really isn't room for him on the roster and that is what he will be negotiating for with the teams he wants to sign with. Maybe if we traded one of the bottom 6 to create a role for him, but I don't see it.

Uh we have a roster full of 3rd liners. If you think the kid has top 6 potential, you make room for him.

:facepalm: :laugh:

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Whether or not you agree with the way the NHL management community operates...it's an old boys club, and that sort of attitude is a good way to piss off absolutely everyone....including future Kevin Hayes types who may even be better and more worthwile to sign.

great point and im sure the old boys club loves kevin hayes ditching his team of old boys demanding ice time from prospective clubs in under-the-table agreements so much that they'd side with his whiny complaints years down the line when he proved himself unworthy of second line ice time

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Everybody says this apparently, yet most of the time it isn't true. Any source for this?

Nope can't easily find a source outside of general speculation and a couple of mentions of a short list of teams he likes that doesn't include any Canadian destinations. Due to his connection with Gaudreau, some people say he might go to Calgary, many others say "no chance".

In general, American kids have far less interest in playing in Canada... and some destinations, like Edmonton, Winnipeg and to a slightly lesser extent, Calgary and Ottawa are not really attractive locations, especially in the Winter. It may not be an issue with Hayes, but often wives and girlfriends, the ones who get stuck there all Winter long, aren't that enthused.

Anyway, no solid source I could find.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
All the Canucks need is to do a deal with our NHL farm-team the Florida Panthers to acquire Jimmy Hayes....aren't they brothers?....worked with the Sweatts!..lol:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad