Value of: Kevin Hayes UFA contract

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
He's gonna be overpaid to be #2C, but is just a #3C.

Has averaged 46Pts a season during his career
While developing into a very good defensive center
Coming off a 55 point season without 1PP ice time
6’5 220 26Yrs old

You’re telling me there are 60 Cs better then him as he’s just a 3C

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com

6’5 220 26Yrs old

In few weeks he'll be 27, this is his contract year, typically a player will go above and beyond to score their UFA contract - hence his career year of 55pts.

However the four years prior he's averaged 43pts per season.

His playoff performances have been worse, with 13 points in 40 playoff appearances.

Yes I'd say an "elite" #3C, similar to a Tyler Bozak - check his stats I'd say Hayes will avg similar numbers.

Reactions: Bet the Over

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I think Bozak had a solid career as a 2C
He’s 33 now and is becoming a 3C

He’s averaged 50Pts per 82 his nhl career
That’s 2nd line numbers

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It won't surprise if Buffalo kicks those tires hard at or just above $6M AAV. Term and movement clauses would likely have a player flavor as well. They need someone who can handle a 2-way role while sheltering Mittelstadt's matchups. Hayes could be that bridge and later shift down to a more traditional checking/3rd line center assignment or move onto LW with Casey himself as a puck retrieval and defensive player. Given the lack of productive UFA centers this summer and the likelihood that a couple of them are fairly cemented to their current teams (Pavelski), teams are going to be interested in Hayes and shortage will drive salary offers.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
They would have just re-signed him if they wanted him. Same with Zuccarello.

I think Hayes gets 7x7.
Doesn't mean they don't want him back because they traded him. He wouldn't be the first player to be traded for a pick and return to their former team.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Pretty sure the Avs are going to make an offer, they wanted Hayes in the past and he is exactly what the team needs. They have the cap space and not many teams who are interested look as good as the Avalanche.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
He really didn't do much in Winnipeg. He's great at protecting the puck and slowing the game down sometimes but he can't play a high tempo game and he's a pass-first player to the point where it looks like he's actually afraid to shoot.

I predict he never matches this year's numbers again, someone will overpay him long-term (maybe $7M x 7) and the contract will be bad a few years in.

southernbeardown54

Apr 23, 2012
Imo he wants the most money he can get. I think the avs fans are the most realistic.

I am guessing at least 6 and 6.5 per

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Was impressed with him at times, but was left wanting more most of the time. anything over 6aav will not age well, unless he can flip his consistency switch.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
I don't see the Jets taking an honest shot at him....He was to slow to play in the roll we needed him to play.....He is a more talented Adam Lowry (which makes him a good player) but not the quick skilled #2 C we need to replace Brain Little.

Hes an elite #3 center .... a good #2 center depending on his linemates and the style of hockey they play. I like him hes a good player...but not a good fit for the money he will command here in the Peg IMO

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
6’5 220 26Yrs old

In a perfect world your top 2 centers have at least 60+ points each

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Kevin Hayes... welcome to your new albatross contract that HFboards will be laughing at for years to come!

Yeah. I am not confident about the number he will get but I am confident about the fanbase that gets him hating his contract less than 24 months from now....

So basically he will be like almost every major UFA signing recently but IMO one of the worse ones..

Really hope he spurns the Avs again.

If we want to spend way too much money on a 2nd line center, we should back up the truck for Duchene...

Reactions: Luc Labelle

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Anyone who thinks Kevin Hayes hit his ceiling this season and won't return to 55-60 pts range, hasn't followed Hayes' career. He has always been a great producer of P/60, finally got decent minutes, and still doesn't play the PP (and he absolutely could). The kid produces, bottom line. Yes, he's slow, though his speed has improved. But he is a super creative playmaker with elite hands, and has blossomed into an excellent defensive Center with size to boot. Kid is an elite penalty killer.

Someone will offer him 5-6 years at 7 per, watch.

Reactions: Lays

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
In few weeks he'll be 27, this is his contract year, typically a player will go above and beyond to score their UFA contract - hence his career year of 55pts.

However the four years prior he's averaged 43pts per season.

His playoff performances have been worse, with 13 points in 40 playoff appearances.

Yes I'd say an "elite" #3C, similar to a Tyler Bozak - check his stats I'd say Hayes will avg similar numbers.
Bozak isn’t close to Hayes defensively though and Hayes paced for 63-64 while playing mostly with meh players on NYR. Didn’t get to play with Zib or Zucc much unless on the PP. He’s not a 3C. More of a good 2C

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
He’ll get either 6yrs at 7 mil or 7yrs at 6.5.
I could see a possible return to the Rangers with a 7yr at 6+ per year and a modified 10 team NTC.

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
55pts in his contract year. Has never broken 60pts. I really really really really hope the Islanders are not dumb enough to sign him for more than 5M. I pray someone else gives him 6-7M+

RMX8IbF.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad