Seravalli: Kevin Hayes market heating up; COL/CAR/MIN interested, PHI open to salary retention

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
At 50% retention he's absolutely worth a bunch.

The 50% retention alone is approaching 2 1st round picks of value.

Then factor in Hayes value himself at $3.5M in cap and yes he absolutely would fetch 2 1sts + Newhook as a base of a deal.
Those futures though for Hayes...doesn't seem like a fit for what the Avs have. Bonino maybe? Vastly cheaper, loads of playoff experience and a UFA at seasons end

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I'm much less interested in him at $5M then I would be at $3.5M tbh.

At a $5M cap hit there's other centers I like more that might be available.

At a full 50% retention I'd pay a bunch for Hayes though... Like 2023 1st + 2024 1st + Newhook + Behrens/Olausson +
Avs better have some secret side deal and flipping Hayes for Erickson Ek or someone for all those pieces

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I feel like this is a bit tricky. Multiple teams interested, on paper he’s what they need and there are hardly any other C options left.. with Philly retaining he’s probably going to get dealt.

Not sure how much he’d move the needle though. For the Avs and Canes potentially not a great fit stylewise. I feel like he’d help Minny the most since they don’t even have a 1C.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
I've talked myself into the Avs acquiring JVR and Hayes (with retention), and simply for a joke. JVR-Hayes-Rantanen, one of the largest lines in the league, and one of the softest. We can call them the manatees.
Just because Mikko does nit fight does not make him soft!!!!

The Moose is the best winger in the game and can manhandle any dman in the league in the corners or in front if the net.

Mikko should be nominated for the hart, not even compared to these two lazy flyers, shame on you!

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
The f***? Leave us out of it
Yeah, sorry for sending you that stray. I know he isn't going anywhere.

JEE was the first guy I thought of that fits the Avs needs like a glove and I wouldn't care much if they emptied the futures tank for.

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
He’s a middle 6 forward. And if he’s not asked to be the main driving force on a line, I think he’d be fine.

I personally think he’d be fine if the flyers had a direction they were going. But they’re all confused.
The problem is the Flyers aren't fine with him for the next 3 years, not that I expect any smart moves from Fletcher at the deadline. If he is able to get rid of Hayes, JVR and possibly Provorov, for picks and or young players that would be a start. Hayes would be more tradeable if the Flyers retained 40% to 50% of his remaining contract for the next 3 years.

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
There is some desperation offers coming from fan bases as we close on the deadline.
Thankfully my team's front office tends not to panic buy.
Sakic literally panic bought Kuemper last season. It worked out in the end, but he still panic bought when all his options ended up going elsewhere.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I think he would be fine on the Avs if you put him with guys who can skate.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnS

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I think he would be fine on the Avs if you put him with guys who can skate.
If the Avs acquired him, he'd have--for the rest of this season--two of Rodrigues/Lehkonen/Nichushkin/Rantanen. Very likely Rodrigues and Rantanen as those two have been the 2nd line wingers (and Mikko is only there to help split up the scoring depth). Once Landeskog is back he'd be an option for him too.

I personally like Hayes enough for the Avs. I think he's still got 2C play left in him. If Philadelphia is retaining somewhere between 25-30% that puts him at somewhere between 5.35M (25%) - 5M (30%). For a 2C that's really not all THAT bad. 2C's are getting paid more. Kadri just got 7M and he is--as much as I love him--a 2C. He's getting paid that because he put up 1C numbers last year.

JTC will get at least 5M on the open market this off season and I don't think it'll be from Colorado. He just hit 40 points for the first time in his career and I think has a good shot at at least 50 (he's kinda streaky so who knows if he gets there).

The Avs having some cost certainty for the 2C slot for the next 3 seasons is valuable too. Allows them to know where they can allocate other $.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad