Seravalli: Kevin Hayes market heating up; COL/CAR/MIN interested, PHI open to salary retention

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Frank has suggested the Flyers are open to retaining 25-30% of Hayes' salary.

At $4-5m AAV, he'd be an attractive piece for teams. You'd get 4 playoff runs with him at a nice cap hit.

Avalanche, Hurricanes, and Wild mentioned as being interested, but I'd imagine a few more teams are poking around, too.

FqBZQjxX0AABWrG

Last edited:

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
I get that it would be significantly more expensive in assets, and it hasn't been confirmed that Lindholm is available, but teams would be crazy not to opt for him over Hayes.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Minnesota is almost always interested when these reports come out and 98% of the time they don't actually pull the trigger, so I imagine that's all this is.

howboutahug

Mar 20, 2018
Rocky Mountains
Heavy retention would be needed for it to make sense for the Avs. The acquisition of Hayes would almost certainly point to JT Compher departing in the summer. Is Hayes any upgrade to JTC? Not really tbh.

Reactions: teoberto

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Heavy retention would be needed for it to make sense for the Avs. The acquisition of Hayes would almost certainly point to JT Compher departing in the summer. Is Hayes any upgrade to JTC? Not really tbh.
That's going to happen no matter what....

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I've talked myself into the Avs acquiring JVR and Hayes (with retention), and simply for a joke. JVR-Hayes-Rantanen, one of the largest lines in the league, and one of the softest. We can call them the manatees.
Rants tried to fight a 4th liner on Vegas last night. Blasted the dude in the face.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I'm much less interested in him at $5M then I would be at $3.5M tbh.

At a $5M cap hit there's other centers I like more that might be available.

At a full 50% retention I'd pay a bunch for Hayes though... Like 2023 1st + 2024 1st + Newhook + Behrens/Olausson +
That’s four first round picks. That’s ridiculous.

I also doubt the Flyers want to retain that much over 4 seasons.

Go to $4.5mm AAV (37% retention) and pull Newhook and the 2024 1st out of that offer.

howboutahug

Mar 20, 2018
Rocky Mountains

At a full 50% retention I'd pay a bunch for Hayes though... Like 2023 1st + 2024 1st + Newhook + Behrens/Olausson +
With all due respect, you're wildly overrating Kevin Hayes... even with retention there's no way he's worth anything near that.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

I would bite your arm off for this offer. In real life. I would walk to the Caverns of Draconis, barefooted, and with my real mouth in real life chew your arm off for this offer. Afterwards I would thank you as I wept copiously. Please make it happen.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

Who exactly? At 5M Hayes is an excellent pick-up.

Reactions: captainpaxil

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You’d be buying high on Hayes. I sure wouldn’t want to bet on him staying healthy and producing like he has this year as he heads into his 30’s, but stranger things have happened.

Not a fit for MN cap wise, but with his 46% FO he’s an on ice fit.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I have 0 interest in that guy unless we are talking 50 % retention (looks like that is not happening) and even then I wouldn't be a giant fan.

Hope the Avs stay the heck away. Much rather run with Compher than with that dude.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
He’s one of those players who goes from negative value to significant value depending on the retention amount. 25% gets him back to closer to what he’s worth but if they’d go up to 50% you’ve got to think you could get a pretty major haul and it’s only an extra like 1.75 against your cap on a team that might finish 2nd last in the East.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I have 0 interest in that guy unless we are talking 50 % retention (looks like that is not happening) and even then I wouldn't be a giant fan.

Hope the Avs stay the heck away. Much rather run with Compher than with that dude.
But…..it says they’re willing to retain…..

If you don’t think we can’t convince them to up it to 50% for a good offer I feel you overestimate Hextall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad