Injury Report: Kevin Hayes abdominal surgery (Sep. 21); Re-injured (Nov. 16); Returned and played (Dec. 1)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Which sounds to me like my first guess was right, just tore some scar tissue but nothing requiring surgery.
Tearing scar tissue can be very painful for a week, then the swelling and inflammation subside.
Had he actually torn something, or re-tore it, the schedule would probably be a month or two.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Just imagine shipping out Hayes and JVR. 14 mill off the books for those 2.

You want help Comcast saving money?
Cap space does not score goals or help reaching the playoffs. I cannot imagine any impactful free agents signing with this team.

JVR may be cooked but Hayes should bounce back nicely once he has gotten into a handful games after two abdominal surgeries. And they actually need center depth because the cupboard is more or less empty unless you bet on German Rubtsov or Jay O'Brien... or rush Desnoyers to the NHL.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
JVR > Hayes

Easily.

The fact that people bitch so much more about the former is absolutely nuts and shows some pretty clear bias. Better play driver, better scorer, less braindead plays on the ice.

On top of that, the problem is Hayes is looking this shit already and he's still signed for 4 more years after this one. If this is the garbage we're currently seeing, I can't even imagine how bad it's going to get as he progresses into his 30s.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
I still would get rid of jvr and that contract. We ain’t winning any time soon. Let jvr bring his value up and get pieces for him to help our future out.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
JVR > Hayes

Easily.

The fact that people bitch so much more about the former is absolutely nuts and shows some pretty clear bias. Better play driver, better scorer, less braindead plays on the ice.

On top of that, the problem is Hayes is looking this shit already and he's still signed for 4 more years after this one. If this is the garbage we're currently seeing, I can't even imagine how bad it's going to get as he progresses into his 30s.

One of them has had 2 core surgeries.

Whats JVRs excuse for this season? I hold management accountable for a great deal, because the players are obviously working hard. JVR has coasted far too many games this season.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Just imagine shipping out Hayes and JVR. 14 mill off the books for those 2.

I know a strong winger and a good Dman PP QB we could use that money on. That could help us increase scoring which seems to be the issue lately.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Whats JVRs excuse for this season? I hold management accountable for a great deal, because the players are obviously working hard. JVR has coasted far too many games this season.
Hayes flaws were there before the surgeries. His slow physical play is just now matching his slow mental play. Regardless, it doesn’t even matter if the surgeries are the cause or not, the end result is him being a problem on the roster.

As for JVR, he’s consistently been one of our top play drivers and scorers since he re-signed here, even with terrible usage. If someone wants to tell me he suddenly forgot how to play hockey after 3 very good years, I won’t believe them.

Part of the issue is that the whole team is sharing the same offensive problems, part of it is that he’s spent most of his time with guys like Laughton and Lindblom, and part of it is he’s always run super hot or cold and this could just be a bad time for a scoring slump.

Point being, I don’t see how the post above mine could think JVR is toast but Hayes could bounce back. Both their recent histories and current health statuses make the inverse far more likely.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
JVR > Hayes

Easily.

JVR is not a smart player..... With that said, they both are regressing and are overpaid

Reactions: bennysflyers16

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hayes is injured, before he got hurt last year he was playing at his pre-Flyer level. I wouldn't say he was regressing until we see him play next season. He's a center, which makes him more valuable than Voracek or JVR - because centers are much harder to find than scoring wings - you'd think fans who suffered through Filppula, Lehtera, Patrick, Thompson, Bunnaman, Vorobyev would understand that! Hextall drafted 4 centers with 1st rd picks (Rubstov, Patrick, Frost, JOB) only Frost is playing for them and JOB may end up a wing. The other drafted centers (Vorobyev #104, Laberge #36, Bunnaman #109, Laczynski #169) have contributed zilch, though there's still hope for Laczynski.

Hayes scores at a bottom 2C/ top 3C rate as a Flyer (though he's been injured for about a third of his Flyer games), but when healthy should be better, he's average defensively, solid on the PK (when healthy, struggled last year).

Sure he's overpaid, so is almost everyone who signed a contract the two years before COVID and the flat cap. Those contracts were based on an escalating cap so they're generally a $1-2M overpay. Hayes on a 5x5 wouldn't ire people as much.

If Frost can step up next year, Hayes can play more of a 3C role and we're solid down the middle, but Frost has yet to show he can handle 14-15 ES minutes a night and be a net positive.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Hayes is injured, before he got hurt last year he was playing at his pre-Flyer level. I wouldn't say he was regressing until we see him play next season. He's a center, which makes him more valuable than Voracek or JVR - because centers are much harder to find than scoring wings - you'd think fans who suffered through Filppula, Lehtera, Patrick, Thompson, Bunnaman, Vorobyev would understand that! Hextall drafted 4 centers with 1st rd picks (Rubstov, Patrick, Frost, JOB) only Frost is playing for them and JOB may end up a wing. The other drafted centers (Vorobyev #104, Laberge #36, Bunnaman #109, Laczynski #169) have contributed zilch, though there's still hope for Laczynski.

Hayes scores at a bottom 2C/ top 3C rate as a Flyer (though he's been injured for about a third of his Flyer games), but when healthy should be better, he's average defensively, solid on the PK (when healthy, struggled last year).

Sure he's overpaid, so is almost everyone who signed a contract the two years before COVID and the flat cap. Those contracts were based on an escalating cap so they're generally a $1-2M overpay. Hayes on a 5x5 wouldn't ire people as much.

If Frost can step up next year, Hayes can play more of a 3C role and we're solid down the middle, but Frost has yet to show he can handle 14-15 ES minutes a night and be a net positive.
But Hayes will be fine in a few games per another post you made. Guess injuries only matter when they are beneficial to you... OK AV.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
To be fair, he looked like absolute dog shit yesterday, and his shot selection is awful yet he still somehow looked better than in that 2nd game back he scored in.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
But Hayes will be fine in a few games per another post you made. Guess injuries only matter when they are beneficial to you... OK AV.

Hayes is going to be hampered, but his game isn't predicated on speed/quickness, so it shouldn't impact him as much as it did Giroux and Ghost. He can still use the big body to gain zone entries, a skill we lack on this roster. And his long reach helps on defense.

Hayes at 80% is still much better than Brassard once the legs started going, Thompson, Brown or Laughton (other than 4C).
With Hayes and Frost in there, Laughton can be used at 3LW or 4C, same with Brassard, who can also have his minutes reduced.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Sure compare him to all the dog shit below him to make his injury less impactful. He's going to be trash for at least a year and you know it.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Voracek and JVR both had 43 points last season.

Right now they have 18 and 6. Did JVR forget how to play hockey or decide to just give up? Nah, I think there might be something else going on.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Right now they have 18 and 6. Did JVR forget how to play hockey or decide to just give up? Nah, I think there might be something else going on.

JVR's been shifted over to RW instead of Farabee, who played mostly RW the last couple years.
Another brilliant move.
But also driven by the injury to Allison.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

And when one pays attention to JVR, he's actually doing a ton right. I think our best theoretical chance in the first came from him winning the puck in the left corner to sling a pass to the circle/slot area for a flubbed shot. I adore shitting all over Old Mule Fat, but individually he's spent much of the season doing more good than harm.

He sure seems to be all alone without options, though. One wonders how that impacts production. I'd wager negatively.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Pretty sure JVR said he prefers to play RW if the other two forwards are also lefties. And he played some RW in previous seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad