Kevin Fiala - Fluke or star in the making?

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I don't think there is enough puck to have them on the same line and not enough talented guys to run two lines if you have them together.
Maybe not, however I think the thing that has impressed me most about Kaprizov is his play making and passing ability.

I figured he was going to be a player that pulls the trigger everytime the puck Is passed to him. So I was in favor of splitting Fiala and Kap.

now I see a Kap having great passes and setting up players that most of the time fumble the pass or can’t keep up. I almost feel like Fiala could benefit playing with Kaprizov until he gets going or until Zucc gets back healthy which shouldn’t be too far away hopefully.

I do agree we don’t have much talent though. I still think we are a year away with players like Boldy and Rossi making the lineup.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Empty netter to finally get on the score sheet. Sometimes that’s all it takes to get on a roll.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Anyone who actually watched him play knew it was not a fluke. Kid has elite offensive abilities. Quick, shifty, smart, incredible shot and great vision. Kid has a bit of a temper which is also pretty awesome but can get his team into trouble sometimes. I haven’t even looked to see who created this thread but they clearly have only stat watched and not watched him play. Minnesota has a great player. The only reason he hasn’t lit it up all year is because he and Kaprizov are the only 2 forwards with above average offensive abilities. You can put Pastrnak out there with Bjugstad and Parise and he’d be at the same number of points. Parise might be the Wild’s worst player and I’m not exaggerating. Watch the games.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
He’s been good all year. Not quite at the level he was at the end of last season but still a very good player. I think he is going to be a PPG type and his defense is improving every year as well. Definitely not a fluke

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
He’s been good all year. Not quite at the level he was at the end of last season but still a very good player. I think he is going to be a PPG type and his defense is improving every year as well. Definitely not a fluke
PPG is a bit high, more like a 60 maybe 70pts player.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Anyone who actually watched him play knew it was not a fluke. Kid has elite offensive abilities. Quick, shifty, smart, incredible shot and great vision. Kid has a bit of a temper which is also pretty awesome but can get his team into trouble sometimes. I haven’t even looked to see who created this thread but they clearly have only stat watched and not watched him play. Minnesota has a great player. The only reason he hasn’t lit it up all year is because he and Kaprizov are the only 2 forwards with above average offensive abilities. You can put Pastrnak out there with Bjugstad and Parise and he’d be at the same number of points. Parise might be the Wild’s worst player and I’m not exaggerating. Watch the games.
My take:

Quick, shifty, not smart, good shot, not really great vision by any measure.

He is that typical player with all the skill but mediocre hockey IQ at best. That kind of skill is rare, so he will be okay, he won't bust out or something, but he will always be a player reliant on teammates and systems. His temper is part of his hockey IQ problem. He firmly leads the team in PIMs. He leads the team in shots. Again an indication of his style. He shoots a lot, he rarely knows when to shoot and when not to. A very skillwise gifted player who lacks the smarts to be in that superstar tier.

ODoyle

Mar 1, 2020
My take:

Quick, shifty, not smart, good shot, not really great vision by any measure.

He is that typical player with all the skill but mediocre hockey IQ at best. That kind of skill is rare, so he will be okay, he won't bust out or something, but he will always be a player reliant on teammates and systems. His temper is part of his hockey IQ problem. He firmly leads the team in PIMs. He leads the team in shots. Again an indication of his style. He shoots a lot, he rarely knows when to shoot and when not to. A very skillwise gifted player who lacks the smarts to be in that superstar tier.
Interesting take. 15 of this PIM were from one play. Reliant on teammates and system? The guy plays with a bunch of grinders, imagine if he actually had skilled line mates.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Interesting take. 15 of this PIM were from one play. Reliant on teammates and system? The guy plays with a bunch of grinders, imagine if he actually had skilled line mates.
1.With skilled linemates he could be much more effective. So what? Everybody plays with a bunch of grinders on the Wild. Most of Fiala's goal come from situations that do not require hockey sense. Snipes off the faceoff, breakaways. Those are pure personal skill goals, which he does have in bunches.
2.When playing with Kaprizov the latter was responsible for all the creativity(and Fiala butchered some of it, because he doesn't think the game like Kaprizov)

I am not saying Fiala is a bad player. I am saying he is that type of player who could be elite if he had more hockey sense. Tyler Hall is that type of player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad