Kevin Fiala - Fluke or star in the making?

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Kevin Fiala went on an absolute tear in the second half of last season. I don’t know the exact stat but I think he was top 5 in point production during that time span.

He looked like an absolute star in the making, and poised to be “the guy” in Minnesota. He is currently pointless through 4 games and a -2. I haven’t been able to catch a wild game this year, is it a case of being snake bitten or was last season just a fluke?

With the arrival of Kaprizov he’s taken the spotlight this year. If Fiala can get going that would make a really good 1-2 punch.

EDIT - when I say fluke I don’t mean that he can’t be a good top 6 player, more of was it a fluke that he went on such a tear of being ppg+, and probably won’t get back to that going forward.

Last edited:

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
pettersson has 1pt and bobby ryan leads the league in goals. It's a weird start so far.

based on what I saw from fiala last year he is absolutely nasty and just going through a minor slump in a weird season. I rate him star in the making.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Kevin Fiala went on an absolute tear in the second half of last season. I don’t know the exact stat but I think he was too 5 in point production during that time span.

He looked like an absolute star in the making, and poised to be “the guy” in Minnesota. He is currently pointless through 4 games and a -2. I haven’t been able to catch a wild game this year, is it a case of being snake bitten or was last season just a fluke?

With the arrival of Kaprizov he’s taken the spotlight this year. If Fiala can get going that would make a really good 1-2 punch.
Snake bitten. Looks good, putting lots of picks on net. They'll start going in.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
4 games in. Silly threads.

Not disputing that. The only reason I was asking is because he doesn’t have a track record of being a “star” other than that tear he went on during the second half of last season. And what a tear that was, he was so impressive and on my radar to try and watch. Just haven’t had the time yet to catch any wild games.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Not disputing that. The only reason I was asking is because he doesn’t have a track record of being a “star” other than that tear he went on during the second half of last season. And what a tear that was, he was so impressive and on my radar to try and watch. Just haven’t had the time yet to catch any wild games.

Don’t mean my post as a personal attack or anything. I get this is a fan and internet board. Just think there needs to be a reasonable amount of games.
He’s a young skilled player without history year in and out on his side. Until that changes like any young player it’s all a mystery:

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
I think he got overrated by Wild fans, but I think he’ll be a 40-50 pt pace guy.

Not a Wild fan. . Fiala was outstanding in the 2nd half of last year, I believe above ppg, while scoring multiple highlight reel goals . . Top 5 in scoring in the 2nd half if I remember correctly

I’m curious about the drop off too, tho as pointed out, it’s been a weird restart thus far

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
He’s got the 2nd or 3rd most shots per game right now in the league. He’s a streaky player as a lot of scorers are. He’ll get 2 points in 10 games and then follow it with 24 in 18 like he did last year. All in all, he’s probably about a 70 point player going forward. That was what his pace was last year. I don’t think he’s a superstar, but he’ll be a good 1RW.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Kid is a stud. Unfortunately I’ve never in my 45 years seen a worse group of centres and supporting players than in Minnesota. Bjugstad, EE, Rask, Johansson, Greenway, Parise, Foligno and the rest are horrible. There is literally Fiala and Kaprizov who are good forwards. Such a horribly inept forward unit.

Reactions: Quicy

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
I've watched Wild's games because I have Fiala in fantasy and IMO he looked quite good. He's not lazy, plays 2-way game and shoots a ton. He will eventually score a lot.
Same I’m not dropping him, he’s not like 5 posts so far

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Kid is a stud. Unfortunately I’ve never in my 45 years seen a worse group of centres and supporting players than in Minnesota. Bjugstad, EE, Rask, Johansson, Greenway, Parise, Foligno and the rest are horrible. There is literally Fiala and Kaprizov who are good forwards. Such a horribly inept forward unit.
It's an interesting question isn't it? Somewhat reminds one of the Canadiens' decade long search for top 6 centers (Suzuki is a stud and Kotka looks decent so far, jury's probably still out on him a bit).
Can anyone name teams from the past that had such a good D, decent wingers, and sub-expansion draft level of centers? Such an odd roster imbalance.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
It's an interesting question isn't it? Somewhat reminds one of the Canadiens' decade long search for top 6 centers (Suzuki is a stud and Kotka looks decent so far, jury's probably still out on him a bit).
Can anyone name teams from the past that had such a good D, decent wingers, and sub-expansion draft level of centers? Such an odd roster imbalance.

The Calgary Flames 1995-2014.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Fiala seems like a good bet to settle into that 55-70 range top 6 winger. Don't really see him as a bona fide star in the future but you never know.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
In an organization like MN? I don't know. We haven't produced a whole lot of superstars.

If we put a decent center next to him, his prime years are like right now, so it's gotta happen quick.

I'd like to see him average around 30-35 goals a year for the next many years, maybe even push it into the 40s in a season.

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
As a Canucks fan that had to watch him destroy my team during the play ins last year I can tell you he is 100% legit. The shot generation is still there early this season just hasn’t been getting the bounces.

Reactions: apollo18

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Not gonna lie, was definitely counting him feasting on teams like LA and Anaheim, because it's sure not going to get easier against the top of the division. I'd be shocked if he doesn't pick it up, but our centers are looking like they might get us some nice deals on both Fiala and Kaprizov, though the latter is producing right now.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Right now we are:

Rask
Bonino
Eriksson Ek
Bjugstad

It's rough.
It's funny because my impression is that you couldn't really ask for a much better 3rd line Center than Eriksson-Ek, but he just doesn't have the skillset to move up so it's like:
1st line center: terrible
2nd line center: bad
3rd line center: great :)
4th line center: meh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad