Injury Report: Kevin Durant ruptured his Achilles

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Man, looks like every superstar is gonna have to get a second opinion on these injuries now. IT, Kawhi, etc... Looks like team doctors aren't advocating for their patients.

I feel horrible for KD. He had the potential to be a top 10 player of all time, but who knows now. Achilles injuries are brutal.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
It was almost shocking that he played in this game. If you saw him icing it wasn’t on his calf, it was the achilles all along. I’m not a doctor but I can’t believe he played.

Guy put it all on the line in a do or die and now he likely misses a year. Nothing but respect.

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
Captain-Obvious.gif

I wonder how injured his Achilles was before this or if this was more a compensatory injury putting more stress on it because of the Calf issue.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
The only avenue he’d have for a lawsuit would be if the doctors/medical team misled him about his risks of reinjury or his health status.
“They said it couldn’t get worse”

Again, not a doctor but you’d think muscles and tendons in the legs of NBA players are under a lot of stress... subjecting them to this stress and tension when not fully healthy seems like a bad idea.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
“They said it couldn’t get worse”

Again, not a doctor but you’d think muscles and tendons in the legs of NBA players are under a lot of stress... subjecting them to this stress and tension when not fully healthy seems like a bad idea.

Right, *IF* the doctors said "it cant get worse" or "it's just a matter of pain, you won't reinjure it" he could have a claim. Or if they said he was 99% when they really thought he was 50%. Or if they let a basketball decision cloud their medical decision and advice to Durant.

However, if the Warriors front office said "we really need you to play if the doctors say you're allowed to" and put a ton of pressure on him that way, and the doctors said "you're not 100% and there's risks, but it's your call" then there's really no lawsuit possibility.

Malpractice also isn't a black and white thing. If the doctors legitimately believed he was at no additional risk, and they were supported by various case studies and other experts in that call, that's just an unfortunate case of a doctor being wrong and a doctor being wrong doesn't automatically mean malpractice.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Right, *IF* the doctors said "it cant get worse" or "it's just a matter of pain, you won't reinjure it" he could have a claim. Or if they said he was 99% when they really thought he was 50%. Or if they let a basketball decision cloud their medical decision and advice to Durant.

However, if the Warriors front office said "we really need you to play if the doctors say you're allowed to" and put a ton of pressure on him that way, and the doctors said "you're not 100% and there's risks, but it's your call" then there's really no lawsuit possibility.

Malpractice also isn't a black and white thing. If the doctors legitimately believed he was at no additional risk, and they were supported by various case studies and other experts in that call, that's just an unfortunate case of a doctor being wrong and a doctor being wrong doesn't automatically mean malpractice.
Yeah, I agree with you. I don’t believe they lied to him. I just take issue with the “couldn’t get any worse” stuff. That doesn’t make any sense to me.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I think I'm annoyed with Kerr more than anything. He treated Klay and KD differently and he isn't being held accountable enough.

Putting out unrealistic targets for return such as Game 4/5. Saying "KD could realistically play after one practice". Playing KD 12 out of the first 14 minutes in his return. And then deferring in the post-game press conference to have Bob Myers answer for everything.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
& now people see why Kawhi had no desire to ever play for the Spurs again..... they wanted him to rush back like KD did.

& now people will also see why players go for the most $$$$ they get offered, because at the end of the day the teams dont care about you as much as they claim.

SA and pop invented/popularized load management. they shut him down in '17 playoffs after his injury. they also didn't want to rush him back from his quad injury, it was the opposite. they wanted him to announce he's sitting out the season.

KD and kawhi situations aren't similar.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
SA and pop invented/popularized load management. they shut him down in '17 playoffs after his injury. they also didn't want to rush him back from his quad injury, it was the opposite. they wanted him to announce he's sitting out the season.

KD and kawhi situations aren't similar.

Do you have a source for this? I read this timeline and it isn't really clear on that point.
Kawhi Leonard injury timeline

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think the Warriors and a bunch of other teams will still offer him the max. If not, he can pick up the $30M+ option, sit out the entire season (no rushing back to help this time), and then hit the market next year when he's healthy. In that scenario teams won't get to see how he looks coming off the injury but at least they'll know he'd be starting the season rather than missing most of his first season on the contract.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
To bad. I want the Raptors to win as much as anyone but not at the expense of Durant being injured. The guy's a great player, hope he comes back from this but you got to wonder if he came back way to soon from this injury.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Do you have a source for this? I read this timeline and it isn't really clear on that point.
Kawhi Leonard injury timeline

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...tonio-spurs-fast-forward-uncertain-future-nba

Privately, officials within organization had hoped Leonard would let the Spurs declare him out for the season due to his injury, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. Believing he'd eventually return, Leonard declined each time, leaving Popovich to field queries from the media that he couldn't definitively answer. Popovich simply didn't know.

Leonard left the team on two occasions last season to rehab in New York with members of the Spurs rehabilitation staff in tow to work in concert with the forward's outside medical personnel, utilizing its rehab program.

i did recall wrong the part about who would announce kawhi would sit out the season (spurs instead of kawhi) but the general point stands. there were communication issues, possible/probable misdiagnosis from the spurs medical staff and kawhi wanting out. though it's not clear when he first wanted out.

GS probably shouldn't have allowed looney to play either.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I think I'm annoyed with Kerr more than anything. He treated Klay and KD differently and he isn't being held accountable enough.

Putting out unrealistic targets for return such as Game 4/5. Saying "KD could realistically play after one practice". Playing KD 12 out of the first 14 minutes in his return. And then deferring in the post-game press conference to have Bob Myers answer for everything.

They literally held KD out til the last possible point.

The GM was going to be the front of the response because a lot of the focus is going to be on the medical stuff and how the org handled it. I think you are off base putting this on Kerr.

I think the 12 of the 1st 14 minutes is a fair criticism. But, I imagine the result would have likely been the same regardless. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can answer this, but with the achilles does the fact that it went mean that it was going to go soon as it had just warn out (like tread on a tire) , or is it possible for rest to strengthen it and the injury wasn't inevitable?

Last edited:

OilersaretheMcBest

Jun 3, 2006
Oil Country, AB, Can
& now people see why Kawhi had no desire to ever play for the Spurs again..... they wanted him to rush back like KD did.

& now people will also see why players go for the most $$$$ they get offered, because at the end of the day the teams dont care about you as much as they claim.

HOWEVER Durant had the power to say no & he went ahead and played, I'm saying this as a big fan of him. Yea I'm sure Kerr/Myers were pressuring him, and theres a good chance GS doesnt win if he doesnt hit those three 3-pointers right off the bat but he did agree to put on his uniform and play.

All the best easymoneysniper

Also to add, KD and most top athletes in the world have their own doctors and medical staff in their camp (Kawhi's camp told him he shouldnt play). KD's camp however cleared him to play along with the the Warriors Medical Staff.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Also to add, KD and most top athletes in the world have their own doctors and medical staff in their camp (Kawhi's camp told him he shouldnt play). KD's camp however cleared him to play along with the the Warriors Medical Staff.

We don't know if KD consulted a second opinion. That's not a fair/safe assumption.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad