Injury Report: Kevin Durant ruptured his Achilles

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Man, there's a strong possibility that he won't be able to play next season.

He might have to opt-in to his contract, although I bet someone would still offer him the max.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Honestly a scummy move from the organization to clear a guy before he was healed who only had 3 games left at most with the team.
The impression I got from Meyers was that the organization f***ed up and he knew it. Without being prompted he said that if anyone needs to be blamed it should be him. Would not be surprised to see Durant sue or something considering he's entering free agency.

Guy was an absolute mess in his presser. On the verge of tears, tripping over his words or talking nonsense, and looked like a deer in the headlights.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Maybe I’m naive but I’m genuinely curious, if KD’s previous injury was the calf, could this Achilles injury be coincidental rather than related? I’m just not sure how this could be caused from being rushed since Myers confirmed that the previous injury was strictly a calf injury and that medical staff cleared him from the injury. Or, was KD rushed because he didn’t have adequate time to get back into game shape after after being cleared?

Reactions: Evil Speaker

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Maybe I’m naive but I’m genuinely curious, if KD’s previous injury was the calf, could this Achilles injury be coincidental rather than related? I’m just not sure how this could be caused from being rushed since Myers confirmed that the previous injury was strictly a calf injury and that medical staff cleared him from the injury. Or, was KD rushed because he didn’t have adequate time to get back into game shape after after being cleared?
The achillies connects your foot to your calf.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The impression I got from Meyers was that the organization ****ed up and he knew it. Without being prompted he said that if anyone needs to be blamed it should be him. Would not be surprised to see Durant sue or something considering he's entering free agency.

Guy was an absolute mess in his presser. On the verge of tears, tripping over his words or talking nonsense, and looked like a deer in the headlights.

Durant would have no legal basis to do that and if he does try such nonsense then Meyers should sue him for legal costs for bringing a frivolous lawsuit

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
The achillies connects your foot to your calf.
I appreciate that, and should have added that The Achilles is connected right below the calf, but I think that’s why the question was asked directly to Myers in the presser I’d the injury was solely to the calf, which Myers replied saying “yes”. It seemed like the reporter was trying to find out if this new injury was related to the previous one, which again, Myers was clear in answering no.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Durant would have no legal basis to do that and if he does try such nonsense then Meyers should sue him for legal costs for bringing a frivolous lawsuit
Why? I have little doubt the team doctors put the organization put the team's goals over the health of their patient.

Anyone who is part of a pro sport's team's medical staff is willing to sacrifice medical ethics.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I appreciate that, and should have added that The Achilles is connected right below the calf, but I think that’s why the question was asked directly to Myers in the presser I’d the injury was solely to the calf, which Myers replied saying “yes”. It seemed like the reporter was trying to find out if this new injury was related to the previous one, which again, Myers was clear in answering no.
I think it's just that when one part of your leg is injured, the other parts will be subjected to more stress.

It's also why while I personally have sprained my ankle numerous times, I'm wary of wearing a brace since that would increase the likelihood of knee injuries.

Reactions: Canadian Game

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
The Warriors handled the whole KD thing like absolute clowns. I feel bad for him, their stupid decision just cost him a lot of money and will force him to go through another long, painful recovery process. I hate them even more now, didn’t think it was possible.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Saw someone from the media tweet that Kawhi Leonard has now been vindicated with this KD injury over Kawhi's handling of his own injury.

With that, and now KD, have to think superstars are going to take even longer to return from injuries now. Rightfully so, this is their livelihood. No championship is worth potentially ruining the rest of your career over.

Reactions: MsMeow

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Saw someone from the media tweet that Kawhi Leonard has now been vindicated with this KD injury over Kawhi's handling of his own injury.

With that, and now KD, have to think superstars are going to take even longer to return from injuries now. Rightfully so, this is their livelihood. No championship is worth potentially ruining the rest of your career over.
Of course, only now. Not 2 years ago when Isaiah Thomas ruined the rest of his career for the sake of an organization that didn't give a shit about him.

On another note, putting blame for this on anyone is stupid af. He was cleared, he had all the information, he decided to play. Shit happens sometimes.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Of course, only now. Not 2 years ago when Isaiah Thomas ruined the rest of his career for the sake of an organization that didn't give a **** about him.

On another note, putting blame for this on anyone is stupid af. He was cleared, he had all the information, he decided to play. **** happens sometimes.
Yeah, Kawhi Leonard was "cleared", too.

The blame isn't entirely on the Warriors, but no doubt in my mind they were pressuring him to return when he wasn't 100% healthy.

Reactions: Torgo and Voight

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Obviously there should be massive repercussions, but the bigger question is, Will the warriors face any at all?

The league is a funny thing sometimes. An owner gets $500,000 fine and can't even enter the stadium he owns, but the organization they rushes it's player back could get off Scot free.

I'm actually just as upset with the warrior's team doctor(s) here that cleared Durant, even though he obviously wasn't ready. Something fishy there that most doctors would lose a license for.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
& now people see why Kawhi had no desire to ever play for the Spurs again..... they wanted him to rush back like KD did.

& now people will also see why players go for the most $$$$ they get offered, because at the end of the day the teams dont care about you as much as they claim.

HOWEVER Durant had the power to say no & he went ahead and played, I'm saying this as a big fan of him. Yea I'm sure Kerr/Myers were pressuring him, and theres a good chance GS doesnt win if he doesnt hit those three 3-pointers right off the bat but he did agree to put on his uniform and play.

All the best easymoneysniper

Reactions: DoyleG and Avs_19

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Obviously there should be massive repercussions, but the bigger question is, Will the warriors face any at all?

The league is a funny thing sometimes. An owner gets $500,000 fine and can't even enter the stadium he owns, but the organization they rushes it's player back could get off Scot free.

I'm actually just as upset with the warrior's team doctor(s) here that cleared Durant, even though he obviously wasn't ready. Something fishy there that most doctors would lose a license for.

They couldnt force him to play so no, there is no punishment. They didnt break any rules, its a free country, he had every right to say no. Yes part of the onus is on the teams/medical staff for rushing things but its not entirely their fault.

Of course, only now. Not 2 years ago when Isaiah Thomas ruined the rest of his career for the sake of an organization that didn't give a **** about him.

On another note, putting blame for this on anyone is stupid af. He was cleared, he had all the information, he decided to play. **** happens sometimes.

That was IT's fault..... he should have sat out and not risked his financial future. I understand they really needed him, and he was fired up with all the hype around him but he clearly knew he shouldnt be playing but went ahead and did it. Now he may not even have a job next year.

KD's at least a guy who will get a max contract regardless of injury, has already made a pretty penny in his career and has a gigantic shoe deal to compensate for any lost dollars.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
KD's at least a guy who will get a max contract regardless of injury, has already made a pretty penny in his career and has a gigantic shoe deal to compensate for any lost dollars.

If he has a torn Achilles I'd expect there to be fewer teams offering a max deal than before.

A torn Achilles is probably the worst injury you can suffer for a basketball player. In addition to missing significant time, players also lose explosiveness and speed.

If it's a full tear, Durant likely isn't playing until sometime late next spring, possibly even missing an entire year like Cousins did. In that case, you're looking at a team offering a max contract but not seeing him play until he's 32 and not knowing what kind of explosiveness he'll have lost.

Durant may just pick up his player option now and hit FA next year.

Last edited:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
He'll opt in for sure. Rest up for the regular season and slowly get in form as the playoffs start. Try to win another title with the Dubs and make bank in 2020.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
My Achille's ruptured completely less than a month ago, I had shivers just watching once this "pop". I disliked him since he made the NBA a joke with his "easy" choice, but now I can only wish all the best for a complete and speedy recovery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Hick Leafs Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->