Injury Report: Kevin Durant ruptured his Achilles

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Apologies, when you mentioned the word "guys" originally, it sounds like you were talking about Durant and Looney.

Even so, regarding Durant, there's no doubt in my mind he was rushed back. He could have put up 50 points, and played all game, and he was still rushed back.

Not even a week ago he had a very visible limp, and the leg has been iced every day. Due to the nature of the injury, it's a slow slow healing process.

This is true, but no one would be talking about it at all (being rushed back) if he dropped 50, which is my point. Good decisions can have bad results and bad decisions can have good ones. But, generally speaking, everyone just works backwards from the result. He got hurt, so he must have been rushed back. I tend to think that's more likely than not in this case, but I'm not a doctor and allow for the possibility that is tendon was just going to go sooner rather than later.

Reactions: SJGoalie32

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
The comment I was responding to was talking about Looney and how much pain he is in. Regardless, I still think injuries in the two leagues are spoken about very differently, although you are right that a star of KDs level going out in the NHL would be a big story too.

More than anything, people are just playing the results. He got hurt, so he was rushed back! Perhaps that is true, I don't know. But it's also possible that thing was ready to go and it was going to happen whenever he came back. Only the doctors can know for sure.
That doesn't make sense unless he has some degenerative condition.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I couldn't care less about Toronto fans cheering Durant's injury

So they were happy when the best basketball player in the world left the game, thus increasing their team's chances of winning. And this is somehow shocking, or disappointing to others?

Durant has made 100's of millions of dollars to live out his dream of playing in the NBA. Nobody should be feeling the slightest bit of pity towards him

The injury isn't life threatening. It just means he can't play basketball for a while. Big f***in' deal!

Reactions: PhillyWings

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
When you toot you're own horn about class, you better live up to your own standards.
It happened. Own it and move on.

No need to cop out with they were cheering and didn’t know the severity. Everyone knew he was injured and this was his first game back and he hurts the same area.

Cheering should die down once the officials blow the whistle for the GS timeout after the raptors layup. And it should continue to die down while the gs training staff make their way to KD. Then there should be a quiet building. Watch the replay or talk to others around you about what happened. Keep it fairly quiet so that KD can talk to the medical staff about what happened and describe the pain.

For there to be jeering while KD is going back to his bench is where those people should take heat for. Close to a minute would have passed for people to calm down.

We get why people were happy to see him out of the game. Should improve the chance of victory.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It's funny to me to hear everyone complain or question the doctors clearing guys to play on a hockey board. Why is the onus on the doctor in the NBA, but in the NHL players are celebrated for playing through crazy injuries? You don't hear anyone wondering why a doctor cleared a guy.
Different situations entirely. The NBA, you're clearly able to see injuries more due to the body not being covered by equipment. Injuries are also more publicly available than in the NHL and their stupid "upper body/lower body injury" diagnosis.

I don't think any player should ever play hurt, but that's just me. But I also don't believe team doctors are always acting in 100% best interests of a player's health.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
When guys like me (or most of us) knew Durant had a bad achilles and not an actual calf injury (you weren't fooling anyone Warriors), how the hell does GS still give KD the green light to play. I knew the minute they said he was starting that he was going to blow his achilles up.

Damn shame 'cause he probably missing all next year. Hope he can come back healthy and dominant still. Would suck to lose out on potentially $300+ mil.

Reactions: Newsworthy

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Ruptured. Underwent surgery.

Damn. Worst case scenario.

I'll admit, I'm one of those people who have felt bored by the end result the last few years and haven't appreciated Durant enough because of it. I was really looking forward to seeing him lead his own team next season. It's going to suck not having him around for an entire season and then him possibly not being the same player when he does return.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
When guys like me (or most of us) knew Durant had a bad achilles and not an actual calf injury (you weren't fooling anyone Warriors), how the hell does GS still give KD the green light to play. I knew the minute they said he was starting that he was going to blow his achilles up.

Damn shame 'cause he probably missing all next year. Hope he can come back healthy and dominant still. Would suck to lose out on potentially $300+ mil.
From the sounds of things he’ll still get his money for the next contract. But depending on the severity and recovery he very well would lose money on the following contract.

Word is that there would be teams willing to offer the max 4 year term for him in free agency. But that deal takes him to 35. So we’re talking about the contracts from 35 onwards. Looking at what LBJ makes now with the Lakers. That will be up in the air.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Knicks, Clippers, Lakers etc undeterred by the injury..... good. this isn't some run of the mill player or minor all star, I'm sure he'll come back and be OK. Maybe won't have the speed or explosiveness but at the end of the day he's already accomplished pretty much everything.

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA

Well then clearly KD, the Warriors, and countless people around them should have consulted with you then rather than a variety of their own medical professionals because you know more about this than all of them combined, including KD himself.

Why are you sitting behind a keyboard when you should be out there making millions as a health consultant?

That would suck....but he likely WON'T miss out on that.

KD is going to get paid a minimum of $35M next year just to rehab, and then it is almost a lock he will receive a max or near max contract that amounts to well over $200M for the subsequent 5 years.

KD will be fine.

In the final tally, KD will basically end up sacrificing his 2020 season and potentially trying to help his team win just 3 more games to secure a 3-peat and solidify a legacy that sports fans will talk about for the remainder of his life and beyond.

KD was 146 minutes away from winning 3 titles in a row, his team needed him and he took a calcuated risk.

If you asked any player in any sport whether they would be willing to risk losing one full season of their prime to injury for a chance at--not just a title, but THAT kind of legacy--I bet almost all of them would take that trade.

It sucks that he suffered the injury he did....but how often do chances like this ever come up in a player's career, even for the greatest all-time players? Harden, Westbrook, LeBron....none of them have 3 in a row or 4 titles in 5 years. KD, Klay, Steph, Draymond, Iguodala....they gave everything they could and were willing to sacrifice their bodies for something historic. And while both he and the team have done so many amazing things the past few years, they were *THIS* close to adding another huge chapter.

So KD totally should have just gave up, shut it down, and mailed it in all so he could, what....spend the next 5 years leading the Knicks to 1st & 2nd round playoff exits? An opportunity like this will likely never come again. Even if the Warriors core remains together, there is no guarantee they'll be back here in a season or two. KD gambled, he lost, and the downside is that he will still get paid tens of millions of dollars next year just to rest and recover. He'll be fine.

These injuries are nothing like the concussion issue in the NFL where it is a bit more important to protect players from themselves. I mean, yeah the achilles will hurt for awhile, but isn't going to prevent KD from playing with his grandkids or even just remembering his kids' names at age 50. The brain injury stuff is something that absolutely transcends sport and presents impacts far more serious than just lower career stats and potential contracts. This is not that.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
These injuries are nothing like the concussion issue in the NFL where it is a bit more important to protect players from themselves. I mean, yeah the achilles will hurt for awhile, but isn't going to prevent KD from playing with his grandkids or even just remembering his kids' names at age 50. The brain injury stuff is something that absolutely transcends sport and presents impacts far more serious than just lower career stats and potential contracts. This is not that.

For a basketball player a ruptured Achille's tendon means he'll no longer be the same as he was before. "Hurt for awhile", yeah sure, it isn't a big deal... WTF?!?!? The decision to play was idiotic to begin, period. It was not his first and only possibility to get a ring, he had two already, of course one more title is a big deal, but come on, reality hit him hard after just 11 minutes. We will see how big of an impact this will have on the rest of his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad