Confirmed with Link: Kevin Connauton claimed off waivers

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I thought he played a good game last nite. He was definitely noticeable.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So, how about that waiver claim, eh?

I grant I liked how he was playing already, but the results are getting especially gratifying. :D

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
So, how about that waiver claim, eh?

I grant I liked how he was playing already, but the results are getting especially gratifying. :D

I think this is gonna be one of those acquisitions we look back on years later and wonder why and how he was a waiver pickup

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Changing my mind on him. He appears to be a solid pickup. Like the Umbie/Foligno discussion in yesterday's GDT I'd caution about enshrining him as a pillar of the D until he at least garners pre-season mention for the Norris.

Last edited:

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
The more he plays for you guys the more I'm annoyed with Ruff for playing Jordie Benn over him. I knew he was better than a 7th D, and he's so far proving it for Columbus... He's leaps and bounds better than Jordie, that's for frigging sure.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Changing my mind on him. He appears to be a solid pickup. Like the Umbie/Foligno discussion in yesterday's GDT I'd caution about enshrining him as a pillar of the D until he at least garners pre-season mention for the Norris.
Oh, undoubtedly. But, hey, you gotta love what he's doing now while it's here. :)

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
With the exception of losing his man on the one goal against, I think he's looked good in every game he's played. He's far and away better than Erixon, I don't get all the Erixon love on here, he's not looked good to me ever really. We will really have a log jam when Tyutin comes back. I really like the way Leopold plays too, tough to figure out who to sit out if Toots comes back Tuesday. I like the way Prout plays too, he's the only bruising defensemen we have, he's needed and I think he's played very good for the last 7-8 games.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
This reminds me of another great pickup, can't remember his name but we used him to trade for Fedorov I think.

That would have to have been Bauchemin, the second (at least) dman we grabbed off waivers from Montreal that turned into an effective NHL player. The first? Ron Hainsey.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Here's a link to Porty's write-up on Connauton

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2015/07/profile-kevin-connauton.html

Sounds pretty good on paper for a 3rd pair guy

He projects a Connauton - Prout 3rd pair. Obviously Tyutin, JJ, Murray, and Savard will play. So by that count, he thinks Goloubef is the 7th D, but most folks think Cody has passed up Prout on the depth chart.

Cotton enjoyed a nice bump in production after coming to the CBJ, but he put up 2-4-6 in his last 28 games. Once the "new scenery" effect wore off, he really didn't do much offensively. And there are still some questions about his defense.

thebus2288*

This tells me that Murray and Tyutin aren't coming back any time soon and we're planning on trading someone at the deadline.

It was mentioned in the Portzline write up and I said it from the very beginning, Cotton is a bigger, faster, younger, cheaper version of Wisniewski at this point. Their individual offensive and defensive traits can be argued, but to me, Cotton's passing/vision, shot, overall defensive ability along with the disparity in overall mobility make him literally a better player than Wiz. And we save $4 mil.

“@smitchcd: #CBJ pairs: Erixon-Wisniewski; Johnson-Prout; Leopold-Savard. Connauton extra.â€

Looks like as of now he is the number 7 Dman.

Wow. 3 #6-7's, 1 #5-6 and 2 #2 guys. Throw in a Gibbons-Cracknell-Tropp 3rd line and I think I know the answer to why we sucked last year...

He projects a Connauton - Prout 3rd pair. Obviously Tyutin, JJ, Murray, and Savard will play. So by that count, he thinks Goloubef is the 7th D, but most folks think Cody has passed up Prout on the depth chart.

Cotton enjoyed a nice bump in production after coming to the CBJ, but he put up 2-4-6 in his last 28 games. Once the "new scenery" effect wore off, he really didn't do much offensively. And there are still some questions about his defense.

I hate having to bring this up all the time but Prout(and Falk) play a completely different game then Golobeuf(and the rest of the D). Prout and Falk bring an element to the game that our other D cannot. We can debate the effectiveness of the "intimidation factor" (especially when he's playing bad) but when Prout is out there guys will think twice about accelerating hard through the middle of the ice coming out of their zone looking for a hail mary pass. They will think twice before crashing the net hard potentially taking out Bob. They will think twice before taking a run or a cheap shot at Joey, Cam, or the Golden Nekande. That doesn't happen with Golobeuf out there. And really, Connauton and Prout really do seem to compliment each other pretty well. I LOVE Prout's shot and think its not talked about near enough. Having Cotton and Prout BOMBING shots on the ice together will be a treat to watch.

"New scenery effect" or "guys coming back and getting less icetime effect"?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Dalton Prout's shot is a muppet. Probably the worst out of our defenseman. I'm not going to argue the other things you bring up because I agree with most of them (Except that people think twice before driving the net or wacking at the superstars..Most of the time players do whatever they want and deal with what comes after.)

I think Golo brings more to the table and should be the 6th D if it comes down him vs Prout.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I hate having to bring this up all the time but Prout(and Falk) play a completely different game then Golobeuf(and the rest of the D). Prout and Falk bring an element to the game that our other D cannot. We can debate the effectiveness of the "intimidation factor" (especially when he's playing bad) but when Prout is out there guys will think twice about accelerating hard through the middle of the ice coming out of their zone looking for a hail mary pass. They will think twice before crashing the net hard potentially taking out Bob. They will think twice before taking a run or a cheap shot at Joey, Cam, or the Golden Nekande. That doesn't happen with Golobeuf out there. And really, Connauton and Prout really do seem to compliment each other pretty well. I LOVE Prout's shot and think its not talked about near enough. Having Cotton and Prout BOMBING shots on the ice together will be a treat to watch.

"New scenery effect" or "guys coming back and getting less icetime effect"?

I agree, opponents do take into account when Boll and Prout are on the ice. They think "Wow, I get to run the goalie AND goad the other guy into a penalty? Yes please".

Also Falk is intimidating? I didn't see that. He looks like an awkward 6'5, not strong.

I think Goloubef should start with Murray and see what he can bring...leaving Tyutin with Prout/Connauton for 3rd pair depending on matchups...

I agree. Let's give Golo a look and see what he can do with a good D partner. You can't bury Golo after he finishes last year a +12.

2minpenalty

Mar 29, 2011
I think Goloubef should start with Murray and see what he can bring...leaving Tyutin with Prout/Connauton for 3rd pair depending on matchups...

I agree with you. With the offensive prowess this team has, our D will need to get them the puck and I think Murray, Savard, Johnson, Tyutin, Cotton and Golo should have some fun playing with our forwards. Chicago won the Cup without a Prout-like D man. Strong skating, good decision making D men are what we need.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
So, he's like Wiz. right?

Well his 9 goals may be comparable, but his 12 assists are lower. I am not ready to say he is "Like Wiz". Too small a sample size. Going to have to see him in action for a much longer period of time.

He could end up worse then Wiz, the same as Wiz, or better then Wiz. My point being we do not know yet.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Well his 9 goals may be comparable, but his 12 assists are lower. I am not ready to say he is "Like Wiz". Too small a sample size. Going to have to see him in action for a much longer period of time.

He could end up worse then Wiz, the same as Wiz, or better then Wiz. My point being we do not know yet.

I think he will be better than Wiz this year. He has a knack for scoring (all even strength) can pass, has a good slap shot but makes the same dreadful turnovers that Wiz did.. He's quite a bit bigger and just as fast - whats not to love?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think he will be better than Wiz this year. He has a knack for scoring (all even strength) can pass, has a good slap shot but makes the same dreadful turnovers that Wiz did.. He's quite a bit bigger and just as fast - whats not to love?

The goal scoring I can see, but I'll have to see that kind of passing to believe it. Wiz scored 40+ assists a couple of times, and I don't think folks appreciate his playmaking and vision enough.

And I actually see Connauton as being a much better skater than Wiz at this point. I think the big concern with Wiz (which I imagine the FO shared) was not the odd glaring turnover but the worsening skating which made him beatable in open ice. Connauton at least has the mobility to cover for a lot of his mistakes.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I agree with most of what's being said here, my only "worry" is that hes gonna get beat out by Goloubef and possibly Paliotta.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad