Kessel's chances for the Rocket Richard?

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Kessel is 1 goal away from being 2nd in the NHL in goal scoring (too bad he didn't score that empty netter tonight!)

What are the chances he finishes 1st? We know how streaky he is, and with the Caps on decline, Ovechkin might slow down.

Right now the stats are:

1. Ovechkin - 36
2. Perry - 28
3. Pavelski - 28
4. Kessel - 27
5. Crosby - 27

This year? No chance... Pretty sure Ovechkin is still on pace for 60. It'll be Stamkos and Ovechkin for years to come but I'd be happy with him finishing top 5 year in and year out.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Pavelski and Perry have Jumbo Joe and Ryan Getzlav on their lines setting them up.

I don't disagree that Kessel is arguably the better of that group, but the drop off from Thornton/Marleau and Getzlav to Bozak/JvR is not ignorable.

No disrespect to Bozak but can you imagine Thornton with Kessel and JVR!?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
A prime Joe Thornton with Phil Kessel and James Van Riemsdyk? I'm willing to bet Joe would average over an assist per game if that would happen. And Kessel would probably score 50 a couple of times.

TheThrill81*

A prime Joe Thornton with Phil Kessel and James Van Riemsdyk? I'm willing to bet Joe would average over an assist per game if that would happen. And Kessel would probably score 50 a couple of times.

Only a couple? Cheechoo scored 50+ once with Thornton as his center, I think Kessel would reach that mark at least a few times.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Maaaaybe.

I could see Joe Thornton and Phil Kessel not working together well at all. Thornton is a guy who likes to slow down the game, excels down low, sets up on the perimeter, plays the possession game in the opposition end, whereas Phil thrives on the rush, pushing the pace, doing those quick strike attacks.

TheThrill81*

Maaaaybe.

I could see Joe Thornton and Phil Kessel not working together well at all. Thornton is a guy who likes to slow down the game, excels down low, sets up on the perimeter, plays the possession game in the opposition end, whereas Phil thrives on the rush, pushing the pace, doing those quick strike attacks.

Plenty of times Kessel has rushed into the opposition's zone, then slowed down to pick his spot or make a pass. Infact, some of his best scoring chances or set-ups are a result of doing that.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Too many chefs in the kitchen

I agree.

Kessel performs best when he controls the puck, he's a triple-threat type of player.

I think he would be best with a defensive/2-way guy like he has. Better players than Bozak of that type are guys like Toews or Bergeron.

Failing that, I would looking for a pure sniper with size. A slapshot or power type of shooter like Stamkos or Staal.

If you get a playmaker, you take the puck away from Phil in the offensive zone and on the PP.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Has a decent chance to be a nominee but 0% chance to win it IMO

There are no nominees for NHL awards. There are finalists revealed (the top 3 vote getters) for the awards that are voted on. However, the Rocket Richard is not voted on. It is simply awarded to the player with the most goals.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Stamkos has a better chance, and he's on 14 goals, and injured.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Kessel's now 9 back of Ovechkin. Second in goal scoring. I still do not think he'll pass Ovechkin, but it's at least now a topic worthy of discussion.

Opened the thread again.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I agree.

Kessel performs best when he controls the puck, he's a triple-threat type of player.

I think he would be best with a defensive/2-way guy like he has. Better players than Bozak of that type are guys like Toews or Bergeron.

Failing that, I would looking for a pure sniper with size. A slapshot or power type of shooter like Stamkos or Staal.

If you get a playmaker, you take the puck away from Phil in the offensive zone and on the PP.
I don't even think that Bergeron would be necessarily better. Instead it would be a centre that has long reach, defensively strong and is more of a shooter. Say, David Backes, Jeff Backes. Thornton, on the other hand, would be forced to be a shooter, because Kessel is much faster. He'd be in the offensive zone a lot earlier, ala Crosby, and I can't see that working well. In fact, Kessel would probably thrive the most offensively with a shooter like Stamkos/ Tavares. However, that line would be atrocious defensively.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
I don't think Kessel meshes well with Thornton. Both like puck on their stick and both like to make plays. Kessel would have to become a pure sniper for that to happen. I think defensively responsible centre with good shooting skills like Pavelski would be a great fit for this line if we were to replace Bozak.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
9 goals back...if he can keep doing what he's doing for another 5-6 games (2 PPG) he will likely be behind by about ~7 goals if Ovechkin also keeps scoring.

The only way for Kessel to win is if Ovechkin goes for another huge slump.

BlackAdam

May 5, 2013
not gonna happen unless ovechkin either falls off or gets a season ending injury.

crazyaces**

Well at kessel's current pace of 10 goals in 12 games, so by the 70 game mark he could be at 40 goals and hit 50 goals by 82 games!

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I'd have said no way same as anyone else . . . but this season, there really IS a window of opportunity. IF
-Ovechkin gets injured
-Ovechkin goes in slump/loses it after Russia gets ousted in the Olympics

...then there is an excellent chance that Phil can do it. Kessel may just be having his career season right now, depending on how hot he can get while heading towards the playoffs, obviously. And that makes sense . . . Bozak is having a career year, and so is JVR. They are all feeding off each other, it's not just Kessel making everyone better (although that's a big part of it).

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I think Ovi has this locked up barring an injury that takes him out for a while. At this rate, Kessel might be able to make it interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad