The Star: Kessel wants to finish his career in Toronto - agent

• Thread starter Penalty Kill Icing*
  • Start date

SteveV*

Listen dude with the Kessel avatar. Take a step back. Breathe. Relax. Insulting people on the internet is not going to make you whole.

Good now?

Kessel needs to score more goals if he wants a big pay raise. Im gonna stick with that.

So you can't do that calculation? Oh okay. Zzzzz.

As for the avatar, I only picked it because Phil looks like has been taking bong hits for 12 days straight ;)

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
Lets just trade him for a better RWer +++ lots of guys can make creative passes occassionally on the Powerplay.

Then we can draft a 1C if thats what the team neeeds - rather than what Phil Kessel the individual needs.

:laugh:

Master plan. Trade Kessel for someone better and then just draft a #1 center. Why haven't GMs caught onto this strategy sooner? Seems pretty bulletproof to me.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
This thread will be intolerable in an hour.

Usual suspects are showingup in droves... Tank Nation still wants a sale...

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not saying Kessel is leaving at all, but "But it’s still young in his career right now..." is a big caveat.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Lets just trade him for a better RWer +++ lots of guys can make creative passes occassionally on the Powerplay.

Then we can draft a 1C if thats what the team neeeds - rather than what Phil Kessel the individual needs.

I love how you guys throw this crap out there and never offer anything realistic. Just this pie in the sky, grass is always guaranteed greener stuff.

Stevie28

Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
He's learning his playmaking side... once he gets both clicking, he will really be good, hes still developing.. getting better

Remuskokafication

Jul 7, 2008
Scarborough
all this means is his agent isn't a total dick.

you can go into negotiations pk subban style and be like "my player has loads of other opportunities so you have to pay him a ton" or do it like this "my player loves it here so you have to pay him a ton or this guy who loves it and is good will have to walk"

when an agent makes a statement to the press it means exactly 0

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Not saying Kessel is leaving at all, but "But it’s still young in his career right now..." is a big caveat.

"He's young in his career" is more likely to mean "he's not Ray Bourque, who needs a cup immediately", than for it to mean "he wants out while he can".

He's more than likely saying that it's not urgent to contend, but in order to commit his prime to this franchise, he wants to see that we're headed in the right direction, so the contender status is there when Phil can make the biggest impact.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
All Arnott said was he was happy playing in Toronto right now, he is prohibited from talking contract with Leafs till the summer, and he is really concentrating on adding defence to his game this year.

He never said anything that would imply Kessel would finish his career here, Arnott did say Phil wanted to win and play in the playoffs, obviously he threw that in there for a reason.

If Leafs are in a long rebuild, Phil will probably not want to be part of it. Arnott stressed Phil wants to win and he wants to play in the playoffs again.

Title of piece is a of crap of the Toronto Star wanting to sell papers by raising the hopes of it's fans.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
you cant trade Phil man
not like anyone is going to over pay to want him

he's a Leaf now, and should be for the long run

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Great news. He's getting paid 5.4M per year now. They have Grabovski at 5.5, and Lupul at 5.25 (from 4.25). I would think that the kind of re-sign deal that we would be looking at is an 8 year deal at something like 6.75-7.75 per year.

Comparables would be Gaborik in NYR with a 7.5M contract. Stamkos with 7.5M. Semin at 7.0M.

DaveT83*

I love how you guys throw this crap out there and never offer anything realistic. Just this pie in the sky, grass is always guaranteed greener stuff.

What?

Your team has finished 2nd,9th,5th last with Phil the Thrill leading the way ... I should hope the grass is greener ... somewhere.

Phil has scored 2 even strength goals in his last 33 games since RC too over. 2!
He has 4 goals on the PP in that time ...

ELITE you say? I think not.

If a team wants to trade a young PWF - a Goalie ready for primetime - additional picks in this deep draft ... it might be worth discussing.
Rather than giving One Dimensional Phil a raise - and another 6+ years of doing his best Jason Blake impression.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
If Leafs are in a long rebuild, Phil will probably not want to be part of it. Arnott stressed Phil wants to win and he wants to play in the playoffs again.

Like a poster above said, what player agent wouldn't say something like that? I don't think this interview means anything.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site

he's a horrible player but he's worth a better RW +++?

how does that work?

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
If making a point about his performance and that it will impact his next contract is clever, sure. If you choose to take everything literally , that's not very clever.

Because 13 games is a great sample size to use when determining a player's value.

I have a better number for you: 247. As in the number of games he has played as a Leaf.

Here's two more numbers: 101 and 212. As in the number of goals and points he has during that time.

Nash, Neal, Vanek, E. Staal, Semin, Toews, Tavares, Parise, Ryan, Sharp, Hossa: All players with worse goals-per-game than Kessel since 2009.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's actually also funny to think of Phil Kessel as 'early in his career.' I mean, he is young, and let's hope he has many years left, but it seems like he's been around for ages. 2006-07 was his rookie year! That was Sundin's second last year with us...

Felstead

Boss Status
Feb 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
What?

Your team has finished 2nd,9th,5th last with Phil the Thrill leading the way ... I should hope the grass is greener ... somewhere.

Phil has scored 2 even strength goals in his last 33 games since RC too over. 2!
He has 4 goals on the PP in that time ...

ELITE you say? I think not.

If a team wants to trade a young PWF - a Goalie ready for primetime - additional picks in this deep draft ... it might be worth discussing.
Rather than giving One Dimensional Phil a raise - and another 6+ years of doing his best Jason Blake impression.

Re think your analogy. You think just scoring goals is all Kessel does? No.

Since acquiring him from the bruins he has shown flashes of a great set of hands for his playmaking abilities. Being in Toronto people seem to look past that and say "Well if he can't score goals, get rid of him". Wrong. Yea he doesnt hit and yea his defense is still sub par(though I hope it continues with how well its been this year so far), but he is battling, ACTUALLY going into corners now and coming away with the puck alot more than probably the 3 other years hes been here.

People can love him or hate him, that comes with playing in Toronto. To trade a guy that we payed a huge premium for would be a huge mistake and a disappointing let down. I think this new system will be good for Kessel as the chances to score will always be there, but now its more about a back checking defensive game which can only help this club.

I think a 6.5 or 7 million is reasonable under a 6/7 year deal. Like I said before, he scratches our back, lets scratch his and give him some help by acquiring that #1 C. As of now, im looking at you Getzlaf.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
How open is his NMC/NTC? When does it take effect? It would be nice to have the summer to sign or trade him without constraint.

Once he hits 2013-2014 his value goes down and the ability to trade him is restricted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad