Kessel gave christmas gift to a fan

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
That's because Leafs fans greatly overate their players. I liked Matthews until near the end of last season when Leafs fans started saying he was comparable to Crosby/McDavid/Malkin after putting up 69 points. Ever since then, I've been voting against him in every poll regardless of who he's up against. I did the same with Kessel until he was traded to the Penguins.
I think that reflects poorly on you more than anything else really.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I know it ( Many of fans loved him but boos on his first start at ACC after the trade was very lame from many of them ). The comment is just against your/Toronto stupid media (especially Simmons).
No one takes Simmons seriously here. :)

Don't worry, if anything the legacy for Phil in Toronto will be that he was a great player who ended up having a lot of success in Pittsburgh, but always has a spot in our hearts.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I agree with the Toronto media piece, but it's funny because fans of other teams absolutely slammed Kessel all the time, called him fat, one dimensional etc., and now everyone loves him.

Either way, most Leafs fans still love Phil and are happy he has been successful with the Pens.
100%. The media was a mess and still can be at times, but opposing fanbases rode that wave and jumped all over Kessel too, calling him fat, lazy, one-dimensional, locker-room cancer, etc. etc.; the list is endless. Toronto fans, despite knowing they could not win with him as their #1 guy, defended Kessel constantly against the rest of the league.

That changed the second he went to Pittsburgh, and now his underrated attributes are recognized (e.g. playmaking ability, humour, playoff ability).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad