Proposal: Kessel for Saad

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
I'm saying if Bonino goes and your plan is to just swap Kessel with Saad to play on line 1 or 2 with Malkin/Crosby you could just not do that at all and move Kessel up. I've seen nothing yet that says he couldn't play just as well if not better with either of them under Sullivan. Kessel doesn't need Bonino, and until I've seen it crash and burn under Sullivan I'll continue to subscribe to that point of view.

If there isn't a center to get to do what Bonino does on the third line, don't relegate Kessel to the third line. Seems simple to me. I don't even see why its an absolute necessity. You're basically saying Kessel has no use unless its on the third line, which I just don't think is true.

Where the heck did you get that idea? I think that's where he's the most effective as a player and has the biggest impact in our lineup. But I never once said he'd useless in the top 6. He looked fine next to Hagelin and Malkin before Malkin got injured. I'd prefer Saad over Kessel for a couple of small reasons but I wouldn't lose any sleep if we decided to keep Kessel, even if Bonino moved on and Kessel was moved back into top 6.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
Where the heck did you get that idea? I think that's where he's the most effective as a player and has the biggest impact in our lineup. But I never once said he'd useless in the top 6. He looked fine next to Hagelin and Malkin before Malkin got injured. I'd prefer Saad over Kessel for a couple of small reasons but I wouldn't lose any sleep if we decided to keep Kessel, even if Bonino moved on and Kessel was moved back into top 6.

I'll rephrase, you're basically saying Kessel is less useful than Saad, even if that difference isn't much to you, assuming he has to play in the top 6. That's where I disagree. Is that fair?

Last edited:

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
I'll rephrase, you're basically saying Kessel is less useful than Saad, even if that difference isn't much to you, assuming he has to play in the top 6. That's where I disagree. Is that fair?

To a degree I guess. I think Kessel is definitely a better player than Saad but when you put him on a line with a better player like Crosby or Malkin he loses some of his mojo. He's just not as good if he's standing around waiting for the puck. I'd rather see someone that can dig out pucks in the corner, crash the front of the net, and get open in the slot for a quick shot with Crosby and Malkin. Kessel isn't really any of that. He's at his best with the puck on his stick and setting up plays or taking shots on the fly with his wrist shot. Kessel has seen tons of time with Crosby and Malkin on the power-play too, and how great did that look? Can't tell you how many times we've seen a perfect setup not go in because we were expecting Kessel to one-time pucks from Crosby.

So yeah. I think Saad is potentially a better fit in the top 6. He also plays at a position we're completely scarce at. And him being five years younger is nice too. I'd take him for all those reasons.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
This lineup and the flexibility going forward really hinges on Rust and Kuhnhackl. If those two can turn into guys that really contribute, we will be in good shape. If I were Sully, I'd certainly find out if they are position flexible. Rust converting to a LW'er makes a whole lot of sense to me if he's able to do it.

Kuhnhackl and his development is something I've very interested with because I think he has some tools that can see him turn into a pretty decent goal scorer.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
This lineup and the flexibility going forward really hinges on Rust and Kuhnhackl. If those two can turn into guys that really contribute, we will be in good shape. If I were Sully, I'd certainly find out if they are position flexible. Rust converting to a LW'er makes a whole lot of sense to me if he's able to do it.

Kuhnhackl and his development is something I've very interested with because I think he has some tools that can see him turn into a pretty decent goal scorer.

Can they, and all the kids really, play anything close to a full season without adverse effects would be my concern. Managing their ice time would be something that I would be very careful with if I were Sullivan.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think the future of this lineup relies more on Guentzel and Sprong than Kuhn and Rust, but I agree all are important. If Guentzel can become a legit top 6 left winger in the next 12 months, that gives you the flexibility to pay Bones 4MM because you have cheap contributing talent throughout the lineup. Just make sure Bones doesn't get some crippling NTC when any of the kids need a bigger contract.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
In a vacuum, I take Saad. After how last season turned out, I'll keep the hot dog eating champ.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009

I'm not sure we'll ever see the goal scoring Kuhnhackl we saw in junior. His game seems to have completely changed and I think he's a step too slow to be able to do that on top lines in the NHL. It could be worth seeing what he could do next to Geno though, you never know.

I think the future of this lineup relies more on Guentzel and Sprong than Kuhn and Rust, but I agree all are important. If Guentzel can become a legit top 6 left winger in the next 12 months, that gives you the flexibility to pay Bones 4MM because you have cheap contributing talent throughout the lineup. Just make sure Bones doesn't get some crippling NTC when any of the kids need a bigger contract.

I'll agree with you here Guentzel and Sprong have really high ceilings. I'd throw Wilson in the mix there too. We seem to have a lot of players with the potential but just a lot of uncertainty as well.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'm not sure we'll ever see the goal scoring Kuhnhackl we saw in junior. His game seems to have completely changed and I think he's a step too slow to be able to do that on top lines in the NHL. It could be worth seeing what he could do next to Geno though, you never know.

For all the talk about Kuhn's skating being an issue, it looked more than fine to me. He was beating a lot of very mobile defensemen on the forecheck.

I'll agree with you here Guentzel and Sprong have really high ceilings. I'd throw Wilson in the mix there too. We seem to have a lot of players with the potential but just a lot of uncertainty as well.

Yeah, Wilson deserves a nod here.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
For all the talk about Kuhn's skating being an issue, it looked more than fine to me. He was beating a lot of very mobile defensemen on the forecheck.

I think his acceleration is the concern. Once he gets going he seems to be ok, it takes a few strides though. Maybe we're just getting spoiled watching Hagelin, Kessel, Crosby, Rust skate these day.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think his acceleration is the concern. Once he gets going he seems to be ok, it takes a few strides though. Maybe we're just getting spoiled watching Hagelin, Kessel, Crosby, Rust skate these day.

Could be haha. Starting to see everything in hummingbird vision.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Which is okay with Malkin. I have no idea if Kuhn can put it all together, but watching that give and go play from him and Cullen last year has me excited about the idea of him and Malkin working together. Kuhn went in and caused havoc springing the puck loose for Cullen and then Kuhn went to a spot and opened up. Cullen fed him and Kuhn hammered home a one timer. Malkin could set him in that position frequently.

At least in a preseason game, I'd really like to see a Rust-Malkin-Kuhnhackl line (not sure who fits on which side of Malkin). It has all the makings of a line that Malkin could succeed with.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Which is what smart teams use the regular season to work out.

Granted we are used to the Pens doing the opposite, benching kids, signing old vets blocking their progress and ice time, stunting their development, and trading them for nothing. But there is reason to hope that these coaches will finally get it right when they have an entire season to work with.

spizzle420

May 22, 2008
T.O.
We're talking about trading a guy who just had one of the best playoff performances ever for a guy with his first 30 goal season and 2nd 50+ pts season. Wtf

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
No. Kessel gifs belong to us.

tumblr_o8ts6qv13h1v9kxjfo1_400.gif

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Which is okay with Malkin. I have no idea if Kuhn can put it all together, but watching that give and go play from him and Cullen last year has me excited about the idea of him and Malkin working together. Kuhn went in and caused havoc springing the puck loose for Cullen and then Kuhn went to a spot and opened up. Cullen fed him and Kuhn hammered home a one timer. Malkin could set him in that position frequently.

At least in a preseason game, I'd really like to see a Rust-Malkin-Kuhnhackl line (not sure who fits on which side of Malkin). It has all the makings of a line that Malkin could succeed with.

Well, if he's with Malkin, he will be starting in the O zone a lot, not D, and his speed won't be much of an issue. He'll be leaning on people in the corners and getting Geno the puck. And he has a nice heavy one timer from in close.

Could work. Would be huge if they clicked.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Well, if he's with Malkin, he will be starting in the O zone a lot, not D, and his speed won't be much of an issue. He'll be leaning on people in the corners and getting Geno the puck. And he has a nice heavy one timer from in close.

Could work. Would be huge if they clicked.

That's a good point. If there's anyone on the team that can execute that Malkin faceoff play one timer, it's probably Kuhn.

I'd like to see a lot of combos tried with Geno. It sucks that we still don't have a winger for him, but I think there are a lot of options to try. Unfortunately Kunitz is likely to almost always be one of them (and if he's not with Malkin, he's probably with Crosby).

Last edited:

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
That's a good point. If there's anyone on the team that can execute that Malkin faceoff play one timer, it's probably Kuhn.

I'd like to see a lot of combos tried with Geno. It sucks that we still don't have a winger for him, but I think there are a lot of options to try. Unfortunately Kunitz is like to almost always be one of them (and if he's not with Malkin, he's probably with Crosby).

This is why we can't have nice things ......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad