Kessel an Assistant Captain?

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

Imo, next year he should be given a permanent A. It would be respectful of the fact he has the largest expectations on the team and is expected to be the main offensive catalyst. In fact i think it is weird he doesn't already have one, it is unusual to me that the team's best player gets no letter whatsoever.

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
Imo, next year he should be given a permanent A. It would be respectful of the fact he has the largest expectations on the team and is expected to be the main offensive catalyst. In fact i think it is weird he doesn't already have one, it is unusual to me that the team's best player gets no letter whatsoever.

Maybe, but I wouldn't take it away from someone still on the team. If they resign McClement, let him keep it. Otherwise, that'd be disrespectful, and I really can't see Kessel caring much.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
im pretty sure Dion wears the C and then you could really choose anyone on the team to get an A imo... seems like a pretty close group and a lot of leadership

Radomon

Jun 1, 2004
Stockholm
He wore it a game or two in pre-season if I'm not mistaken. Even Kadri had an A at one point. And as some pointed out, Kessel also wore one last season when Komisarek and/or Lupul was out.

Avec Fromage*

Saw this photo on tsn.ca today:

philkessel_2883-430x298.jpg

Not sure when Kessel ever wore an "A"? Perhaps some random preseason game? A game when a regular assistant captain was hurt?

Is this a sign of things to come?

He wore it permanently during Ron Wilson's last season as coach, along with Grabovski. When either was injured, it went to Armstrong and then Liles. This persisted when Carlyle took over, but then both As were reassigned at the start of the 2013 season (to Lupul and McClement respectively). I actually have a home Kessel jersey with an A on it!

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
He wore it permanently during Ron Wilson's last season as coach, along with Grabovski. When either was injured, it went to Armstrong and then Liles. This persisted when Carlyle took over, but then both As were reassigned at the start of the 2013 season (to Lupul and McClement respectively). I actually have a home Kessel jersey with an A on it!

Are you sure about that? I don't remember him ever wearing it permanently.

Last edited:

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

Wasn't Armstrong the other regular A that year with Komisarek? Armstrong was out that game, so Phil may have only been wearing it temporarily.

Do you honestly believe that Phil was permanently made an Alternate Captain and then stripped of it and there wasn't a multi-page thread on here about either?

EDIT: See, for example, the similar reports for the first game of the season http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20112012/RO020002.HTM and the last game of the season http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20112012/RO020011.HTM.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad