Kessel an Assistant Captain?

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Saw this photo on tsn.ca today:

philkessel_2883-430x298.jpg

Not sure when Kessel ever wore an "A"? Perhaps some random preseason game? A game when a regular assistant captain was hurt?

Is this a sign of things to come?

mikebel111*

phil does get to wear the A on occasion. young silent leader. not captain material but he IMO is quiet leader

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Phil's developed into something of a quiet leader. He's a good player for a flashy kid like Kadri to watch; he's always looking to create offense, but he knows when to pick his spots so as to not hurt the team.

I think in 5 years or so he might be a full-time assistant, but for now all he needs to worry about is putting the puck in the net. We have a lot of guys like Lupul, McClement, Bolland, Clarkson, and in my eyes Rielly in a few years who would make ideal "A's" so it might not happen.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Wore it in the preseason I believe and last season when Komisarek and MacArthur were injured/scratched

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
Phil's developed into something of a quiet leader. He's a good player for a flashy kid like Kadri to watch; he's always looking to create offense, but he knows when to pick his spots so as to not hurt the team.

I think in 5 years or so he might be a full-time assistant, but for now all he needs to worry about is putting the puck in the net. We have a lot of guys like Lupul, McClement, Bolland, Clarkson, and in my eyes Rielly in a few years who would make ideal "A's" so it might not happen.

* ALTERNATE, not assistant (pet peeve)

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
He's typically the first guy to get the A if one of the current captains is out of the lineup

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
I imagine he's pretty comfortable not being an assistant. He's the straw that stirs the drink when it comes to our offense, but that doesn't automatically make him leadership material. Leave that to the more vocal and extroverted players like Phaneuf, Lupul, etc. Kessel doesn't need a letter on his jersey to inspire his teammates with his skill and determination.

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
I'm pretty sure he wore it last year while Lupul was out, no? Wasn't it him and McClement with the A's?

When healthy (and not scratched) it was Lupul and MacArthur. McClement wore it when one of those guys weren't in the lineup. After that I think it was Kessel.

I don't think Kessel would care to wear the 'A'. He'd obviously say yes if asked, I prefer to let him focus on scoring.

Bolland wore it this year when Lupul was out, for those with short memories.

bringthecuphome

May 5, 2010
I'd be comfortable with him having an 'A' but I doubt he really wants it. He's the leader of our offense but has no interest in the extra spotlight/stage time. Maybe later in his career.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
I see... thanks guys.

Makes sense that it was because of a few injuries - I can see him taking an "A" after a few more years and maturing. I expect he'll open up a little more as he gets into his late-20's and 30's.

Regardless, its just a formality, and if someone wants to be vocal in the dressing room they will be - doesn't matter if there's a letter on their sweater or not.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Before last year he was usually the 3rd or 4th person in line for the A.

1. Armstrong
2. Komisarek
3/4. Lupul/Kessel

Sad thing is how the 2 regular alternates were horrible players for us and Kessel/Lupul were awesome for us.

BTW, I have a Kessel jersey with the 'A' on it.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
When I played as a kid, it was assistant, so for me, it will always be assistant.

Maybe so, but we are discussing the NHL not the league you played in as a kid and the term in the NHL rule book is "alternate captain".

Also, does "Assistant Captain" even make any sense? It's not like their help the captain do his job, but rather they can do that job (talking to the refs, etc.) when the captain isn't there. They're an alternate.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Maybe so, but we are discussing the NHL not the league you played in as a kid and the term in the NHL rule book is "alternate captain".

Also, does "Assistant Captain" even make any sense? It's not like their help the captain do his job, but rather they can do that job (talking to the refs, etc.) when the captain isn't there. They're an alternate.

Most team's have leadership groups, for us that would be Phanuef, Lupul, McClement, Bolland, and Clarkson. The captain isn't the only leader on the team, I think it makes perfect sense.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Saw this photo on tsn.ca today:

philkessel_2883-430x298.jpg

Not sure when Kessel ever wore an "A"? Perhaps some random preseason game? A game when a regular assistant captain was hurt?

Is this a sign of things to come?

Every now and then Lupul will be like "Hey Phil you deserve a gold star but sadly I am out gold stars.... So please accept this "A" instead. But FYI I need it back by Saturday."

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
First, he pretty much gets an A a few times every year during pre-season.

Second, two seasons ago he was 2nd in line to wear an 'A' if a regular was out. At the time, as pointed out, Komisarek and Armstrong were the regular 'A's, and Grabovski was the next guy. Of course, due to poor play and injury, both spent much time out of the lineup and I would say Kessel wore the 'A' that season at least 20 times.

Last year, Carlyle selected new 'A', with McClement, Macarthur and Lupul, and since Mac has left, Bolland now takes the games when one of the regulars is out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad