Rumor: Kerby Rychel being offered in exchange for a D man

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If Rychel is available as suggested I'm bullish on pushing for Connor Murphy. He isn't a top pair guy right now but has the skills to be and would fit in nicely with this team. I have no idea of value but would suggest offering something like:

To Phoenix: Rychel, Anaheim 2nd, Chaput

To Columbus: Murphy

At that point I think it opens up more options with the #8 OA pick in the draft. Take Provorov or Werenski or Barzal or Rantanen or Zacha at #8. I would try similar efforts for Ryan Ellis, Erik Gudbranson or Damon Severson with varying assets but trying to hold the 8OA if at all possible....

I think Rychel is a pretty big chip personally. I don't WANT to move him but do think we have the depth on the LW to make it easier to stomach.

Well how good is Connor Murphy? I haven't seen much of him but my sense is he's a bottom pair guy who'll be middle pair at best. Is that right?

If so then he isn't any better than Golo, and a player like Ellis would be a much better bet. We need an upgrade, not just another defender.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Well how good is Connor Murphy? I haven't seen much of him but my sense is he's a bottom pair guy who'll be middle pair at best. Is that right?

If so then he isn't any better than Golo, and a player like Ellis would be a much better bet. We need an upgrade, not just another defender.

A little hard to tell playing on a very bad team but he's 6'3" and about 200 lbs. RHD with offensive capability and is an excellent skater. I've seen him on several occasions and think he'll be a very good one. Would fit well with Murray and as he ages could fit a top pair role. He would be an upgrade and just turned 22.

Misfire Puck

May 6, 2010
Finland
If Rychel is available as suggested I'm bullish on pushing for Connor Murphy. He isn't a top pair guy right now but has the skills to be and would fit in nicely with this team. I have no idea of value but would suggest offering something like:

To Phoenix: Rychel, Anaheim 2nd, Chaput

To Columbus: Murphy

At that point I think it opens up more options with the #8 OA pick in the draft. Take Provorov or Werenski or Barzal or Rantanen or Zacha at #8. I would try similar efforts for Ryan Ellis, Erik Gudbranson or Damon Severson with varying assets but trying to hold the 8OA if at all possible....

I think Rychel is a pretty big chip personally. I don't WANT to move him but do think we have the depth on the LW to make it easier to stomach.

Why are we adding? Murphys play in the NHL so far hasn't raised his value at all IMO. If Jarmo and CO are convinced that he can be 2nd pairing PPQB, then 1 for 1 swap would be okay but pass otherwise.

Ellis is interesting but I'm not trading Wennberg for him (sry Viqsi). Maybe Rychel + 2nd + lesser RD/RD prospect?
Reason for not trading Wennber for Ellis is that I believe he has potential to be elite 2C (50-60 points and good 2-way play) while I think Ellis's potential is 2nd pairing offensive D and 1st pp unit QB. IMO 2C > 2nd pair D (although only slight difference in value).

Severson is definitely interesting but I'm sure that NJ isn't interested of trading him.
Gudbranson is interesting too but he's still pretty overrated and I'm sure Florida would be asking way too much. And I'm not sure how keen would Florida be to trade him. But if price is reasonable then I'm interested.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I saw a handful of Jackets posters on the main board say they would do Gelinas for Rychel, in the "1 OS, 1 signing, 1 trade" thread.

Is this real? I would do that deal in a second.

Straight up? NFW. I proposed and would do 8OA & Rychel for 6OA & Gelinas. Some here would do that. Many would not.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Curious, would you guys be interested in a trade with Pittsburgh for either Harrington or Dumoulin for Rychel? Dumoulin is a big dman who played very well for us in the playoffs. Easy 3rd pairing, definite Top 4 potential. Harrington's upside is a little higher. Solid PMD that will likely be Top 4, perhaps a solid top pairing dman one day. Lots of people want a Letang-Harrington in a couple years.

Seems like they are all about the same level in their development and right around the same value. You guys need a dman, Pens need a forward.

Could a swap be made?

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Curious, would you guys be interested in a trade with Pittsburgh for either Harrington or Dumoulin for Rychel? Dumoulin is a big dman who played very well for us in the playoffs. Easy 3rd pairing, definite Top 4 potential. Harrington's upside is a little higher. Solid PMD that will likely be Top 4, perhaps a solid top pairing dman one day. Lots of people want a Letang-Harrington in a couple years.

Seems like they are all about the same level in their development and right around the same value. You guys need a dman, Pens need a forward.

Could a swap be made?

Personally, I'd pass. We have a bunch of guys who are "easy 3rd pairing, potential top 4" guys. We are looking for an established top 4 guy. Not necessarily for Rychel straight up, but as part of a bigger deal.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Personally, I'd pass. We have a bunch of guys who are "easy 3rd pairing, potential top 4" guys. We are looking for an established top 4 guy. Not necessarily for Rychel straight up, but as part of a bigger deal.

this....there's only one defenseman on Pitt that interests me, and it won't happen, so i'll say there's no deal to be made...

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006

Rychel for Harrington would be about right for the "forward for same caliber defenseman prospect" swap that had been discussed. I still think, if we move Kerby, it will be for an established player, but I'd think the value is about right if we did a 1:1 swap.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Why are we so eager to trade in division? Unless I'm just dealing picks (for example, 8th overall + for 6th overall to move up and get Provorov or whatever) it's not a smart thing to do. Before we bring up the Nash/Gaborik deals, that was pre-division re-alignment. No thanks on trading in division.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Why are we so eager to trade in division? Unless I'm just dealing picks (for example, 8th overall + for 6th overall to move up and get Provorov or whatever) it's not a smart thing to do. Before we bring up the Nash/Gaborik deals, that was pre-division re-alignment. No thanks on trading in division.

Unless it's a player you really don't want to play against (like Boone Jenner), or you're making the other team dramatically better off, I don't see the relevance of the whole divisional trading taboo. If it makes our team better (which Harrington doesn't) you do it.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Unless it's a player you really don't want to play against (like Boone Jenner), or you're making the other team dramatically better off, I don't see the relevance of the whole divisional trading taboo. If it makes our team better (which Harrington doesn't) you do it.

There should only be one worry when making a trade Making your team the best you can. You play the other team in your division a few times. The player(s) you trade for hopefully play 82 games for you. You take the best offer possible.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Rychel for Harrington would be about right for the "forward for same caliber defenseman prospect" swap that had been discussed. I still think, if we move Kerby, it will be for an established player, but I'd think the value is about right if we did a 1:1 swap.

Who is Scott Harrington? I haven't heard of him till now and I'm quite sure the CBJ front office holds the same position...

Wasn't Marko Dano number 20 on CBJ's draft list? So Rychel potentially could have been even higher on the list hence quite highly rated. Personally I don't believe 'hard ELC-negotiations' or his father's influence on concussion treatment should really affect his future with the Blue Jackets or change his talent projection. Especially if the team isn't offered really good defensive option in return if there even are talks involving him.

CBJ's current wing situation shouldn't change anything for the grizzly Klaas-Jan Huntelaar-type who had nice debut season AHL being already one of the top forwards for the Falcons. Seems more like the usual '1+1=?' rumour throwing than something like the Wisniewski trade where the management was desperate to get rid of him and surely had media contacts involved as well in the process.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Who is Scott Harrington? I haven't heard of him till now and I'm quite sure the CBJ front office holds the same position...

I'm sorry, what? Unless you just misspoke, this might be the most pompous thing I've read on these boards, and that's saying a lot.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV

To major's point: Hartnell for Umberger.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Anyone else see the twitter post this morning that the CBJ have talked to Vancouver about Bieksa? Could Vancouver be next for Rychel?

Saw it on an NHL rumor account, so take it for what it's worth at this point.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Anyone else see the twitter post this morning that the CBJ have talked to Vancouver about Bieksa? Could Vancouver be next for Rychel?

Saw it on an NHL rumor account, so take it for what it's worth at this point.

Maybe we are talking to them. But Rychel for a 33 year old entering the last year of his contract? Doesn't pass the smell test honestly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad