Keon, Horton and Broda to be added to Legends Row.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Outside the ACC at Maple Leaf Square. It will look more impressive in a year, if you're willing to wait that long.

That's how I enter, the Subscriber door is the 1st door to the left. I'm guessing it's more towards the middle of the building. I'll check it out Saturday if there's time.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
That's how I enter, the Subscriber door is the 1st door to the left. I'm guessing it's more towards the middle of the building. I'll check it out Saturday if there's time.

It's pretty much right under the pedestrian bridge the connects Maple Leaf Sqaure/Real Sports to the ACC.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It's pretty much right under the pedestrian bridge the connects Maple Leaf Sqaure/Real Sports to the ACC.

I'm pretty oblivious, didn't know there was a bridge. I tend to get to games just in time for puck drop and don't pay much attention to what's going on around.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
your fav player growing up huh lr

Probably my favourite Leaf to be honest, I wasn't from that era but I like to know my leaf history and seeing his videos and the way he carried himself made me happy he was leaf and I got extremely attached to him and his style of game and got into hockey because of it. My favourite was Sakic :laugh: and tends to rotate around players like Keon, hence Toews is currently my favourite in the league.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
He sure appears to be able to convince people to come into the fold as he is building something special.

Or in this case the famous line from Field of Dreams seems to apply... "Build it, and they will Come".

From the Sun:

Burke did a lot to rectify this as well behind that scenes from what I heard, he was pretty adamant about it in his time too.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
New York Yankees' Monument Park

Monument Park would be a sight. The Yankees might have just about the greatest collection of icons in North American sports. The Lakers would come close with 5 of the top 10 players of all time, but without MJ the Yankees still have the edge. If only the Leafs had Gretzky and Orr, we'd be 1st... :(

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Monument Park would be a sight. The Yankees might have just about the greatest collection of icons in North American sports. The Lakers would come close with 5 of the top 10 players of all time, but without MJ the Yankees still have the edge. If only the Leafs had Gretzky and Orr, we'd be 1st... :(

We need to get our players and core where we can be the hawks, cup after cup after cup, we might not have a crosby but those rings say a hell of a lot more than one star. The band of brothers in the locker-room that can bring year after year and when those stand together for us man they look a lot better than gretzky or orr IMO.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Like the rest of you, I can only say how happy I am to see the rift closed. Dave Keon, my all time favorite Leaf and truly one of the greats of the game. For those of you who didn't have the chance to see him, Davey K combined all of the elements that makes a player truly great. He did it all, with style and modesty. A fabulous player who would have fit with many a teams' needs today. So happy.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Turk Broda

As a kid (about 13) I caddied for Turk Broda at St Georges Golf Club in Toronto.
He had been retired about 12 years, but he was still recognizable from old Leaf pictures.
Red hair, freckles, a youthful look. Nice fellow. That's how I remember him.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Agreed, the statues look awesome! It's the perfect fit for the Leafs, since they have 100 years of a collection of great players, but no one player that stands out like Bobby Hull in Chicago, Orr in Boston or Rocket in Montreal. Legends Row really does look amazing in person now, let alone when it's completed.

I saw it at my first (and only) time at the acc. it was amazing

coachbob

Jan 11, 2004
ONTARIO
Visit site
Apps
Kennedy
Broda
Keon
Armstrong
Horton
Bower
Sittler
Salming
Sundin

Next should be Conacher and Mahovlich.

Next should be Marner or Nylander I hope.

Finally Keon is back in the fold. My all time favourite Leaf and my boyhood hero. Sorry to the likes of Mahovlich, Clark and Dougie, but their Leaf careers don't hold a candle to Davey boy and the others on the list

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

Finally Keon is back in the fold. My all time favourite Leaf and my boyhood hero. Sorry to the likes of Mahovlich, Clark and Dougie, but their Leaf careers don't hold a candle to Davey boy and the others on the list

Since you saw him play, I'd like to ask why you'd leave out Mahovlich? Was he not a big part of those 60's teams? I've never seen him play, but he appears to be their top scorer year after year during their glory years.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Goals scored, Top 4 years as a Leaf

Mahovlich 48, 36, 33, 32
Keon 38,37, 32, 28

Career ppg avg as a Maple Leaf
Keon .817
Mahovlich .815

I love Keon and I give him an edge over Frank as well but saying the Big M doesn't hold a candle to him is, way out of line.

Mahovlich also went on to score 49 and 38 for the wings plus 43 and 38 for the Habs, 4 more years any of which, would have been career year totals for Keon. Although Keon edges out Mahovlich as a better Leaf, I think Mahovlich edges out Keon as the better NHL'r.

Last edited:

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Hate to be that guy but...

- Keon came back a few years ago for a ceremony honouring the 1967 team (though he insisted he did because it was about his teammates and not the Maple Leafs organization).

- No where in the article does it say Keon is having his # raised to the rafters, only that he's getting a statue alongside other Leafs at MLS. It's a significant warming of relations between Keon and the team. That's great for the fans sake, but we'll have to wait to see if that translates to him allowing his banner to be raised, which was one of the things (retiring vs. honouring) which drove the two apart.

I'm excited, don't get me wrong. But I'm also in a bit of a wait and see approach.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
This is what the Leafs sent.

Keon, Horton & Broda To Be Honoured
Earlier today, it was announced that the next three Leafs greats to receive statues and be inducted into Legends Row in October will be: Dave Keon, Tim Horton & Turk Broda.

Keon and representatives from the Horton and Broda families will be honoured during a pre-game ceremony at Saturday night’s game before the Maple Leafs take on the Montreal Canadiens.

Please ensure you’re in your seat by 7:00pm to witness this historic moment as we honour these Leafs legends with a special pre-game ceremony.

Doesn't say anything about a banner.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Hate to be that guy but...

- Keon came back a few years ago for a ceremony honouring the 1967 team (though he insisted he did because it was about his teammates and not the Maple Leafs organization).

exactly, that's why people are excited.
there is no way if Keon was still anti-Leafs - would he allow a statue (in my opinion). like he didn't want to be honoured by the organization at all. He's been in leaf land like 3 times -

80th anniversary of being named Leafs
+ 2 cup 50th anniversaries.

being named a legend and added to the bench is a huge deal.
nothing about being a banner, but maybe that will happen so, and if not, i'd say being Statue'd is still a massive deal considering everything.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I think they have done a great job in their choices for legends row. I can't argue any of them. I was so glad Apps, Broda and Keon were included. I wonder if they will continue to add. I would love to see Mahovlich and Charlie Conacher added. I also think they need to incorporate a statue of Conn Smythe somehow. Without him we wouldn't have our beloved Leafs.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I think they have done a great job in their choices for legends row. I can't argue any of them. I was so glad Apps, Broda and Keon were included. I wonder if they will continue to add. I would love to see Mahovlich and Charlie Conacher added. I also think they need to incorporate a statue of Conn Smythe somehow. Without him we wouldn't have our beloved Leafs.

I would love for them to fill out a roster, so to speak. Maybe leave 6 open positions with some type of line who will be next?

Would take care of my lifetime anyway. :laugh:

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
Great work by Shanahan to bring Keon back on side.

Legends Row is filling up...only space for what? 13 or 14?

King Clancy should be there too. He was a franchise player many years before being a Ballard flunky.

Save a spot for Stamkos too.

Scratch

Jan 3, 2016
So with the 12th spot left open for a future legend to emerge in the next 10-20 yrs (or longer), that leaves one spot open for Wendl Clark, Doug Gilmour, Frank Mahovolich, Rick Vaive, Charlie Conacher, Bill Barilko or Conn Smythe...

Which will it be?

I have a hard time not seeing Wendl Clark as the last statue added.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad