Keon, Horton and Broda to be added to Legends Row.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Mahovlich has not yet been added to Legends Row, but he'll probably be next.

If they add Conacher and Mahovlich and no one else, I'm fine with that.

If they add Reg Noble and Babe Dye, even better, because I don't think the Toronto Arenas/St. Pats era gets enough recognition.

If they want to add Red Kelly or any of the others with honoured numbers, that's ok too. But I hope they choose others before Gilmour/Clark. I just don't think those two were here long enough or were good enough- not without a cup.

As much as I liked Mahovolich as a Leaf, he played for the stinking Habs. Not sure if that should disqualify him from Legends Row. :dunno:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Do you mean eating pancakes out on the ice during practice was frowned upon?.

broda1.jpg

I once Caddied for Turk Broda, when he was at Connie Smythe's Orchard Beach Golf Club, near Keswick Ontario.

We played hookey from My Public School and went there when they had a tournament on and we saw a lot of our hero's and Turk Broda asked me if I would like to caddy for him and I jumped at the chance, in the foursome was Turk Broda, Sid Smith, Tedder Kennedy and I think the 4th was Harry Watson.

Turk Broda was a standout, he was the Nicest and Funniest, telling jokes all the time and was a real Practical Joker, he had one of my friends, that was caddying for Sid Smith, to change one of the golf balls for one that had slice marks and was very marked up, when he was washing the one that Sid Smith was using and Sid Smith Looked at it (what in the Heck is this) and then they all cracked up but they all knew who did it.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Turk Broda retired with his five Maple Leaf Stanley Cup rings, two Vezina Trophies, Calder and Memorial Cup championships (winning the Memorial Cup as both a player and a coach), and three All Star appearances in net. He and Bower both wore #1, which has been honored by the Leafs, and he was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1967. He played in 101 NHL playoff games alone - during the Original Six Era, no easy feat

His jersey hangs in the rafters at the ACC as an honoured player.

banner.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

Sooooo. Yeah. Broda.;)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
aren't they already? I thought at LEAST Mahovlich would be .. wasn't he last year?

he didn't want just HIS number retired - he wanted numbers retired period. but even going back as far as October (and listening to the Sittler interview) I think a big part of it had to do with two things

1: he just really really did not like the organization at all (even though he started showing up for things and

2: he didn't get over it

and Sittler was like - at some point it needs to stop being about philosophies, and old grievances and allowing the fans to embrace him the way he deserved for what he accomplished here. (basically - get over it it's not about you anymore).

and it seems like he did - which is what we should be focusing on. a Leaf great/legend - one of the very few we had is allowing himself to be recognized in a manner that most players of his time and what he accomplished. so. yay.

Right?
like. honestly. so far the people who have said no to him have been:

Adam Oates
the last coach of the Carolina Hurricanes
Paul McLean
(and all of those were in as interim coach settings)

and Kelly Mccrimmon (who said it was tough as poop to say no to him - and basically if Brandon wasn't hosting ALL the things, chances are he'd be here anyway, AND - he'll probably be here after the Junior hockey season is over).

(Oh and hockey players - Panarain said no. and I think that goalie said no to us too).

and he has basically 90% of leafs nation all lulled by "the plan"

man knows some voodoo.

I like and respect Sittler and he's entitled to his opinion but I remember Sittler saying this a while back and my opinion was and still is that Sittler can stuff it as it's not his place to say Keon should get over it. Keon is entitled to make his own decision and life his life any way he pleases and if he never wanted to come within 100 miles of Toronto again, that's his decision and he's entitled to make that decision, period. I'm a HUGE Keon fan but the fact that he "owes me" something is IMO absurd.
/end rant

That said, I'm Sittler meant nothing bad by it, I'm sure he has the utmost respect for Keon and if Keon is "over it", that's awesome.

Keon was awesome in every way. The embodiment of what the captain of the Maple Leafs should strive to be. A hell of a hockey player and a class act all the way.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
As much as I liked Mahovolich as a Leaf, he played for the stinking Habs. Not sure if that should disqualify him from Legends Row. :dunno:

No it shouldn't. Mahovlich did more than enough in a Leaf uniform, and was part of our organization for 14 years (St. Mike's and Leafs). He deserves to be up there just as much as Keon IMO.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Oh yayyy. Admittedly I've never seen these guys play but I have read a lot and heard from you guys about them so I'm really happy for them!

Keon finally on board, magic of our management again! I honestly love the Legends row. Great additions

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Mark Masters ✔ @markhmasters
Brad Boyes on Dave Keon: "He’s actually a distant relative. He married my dad’s cousin, I think."
1:20 PM - 21 Jan 2016

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Great news! Im thankful to have witnessed the day, Dave Keon truly has forgiven. Now hopefully he and the rest of us can forget the dark days.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Wait have the leafs retired any jersey?

Yes

In fact the first team to retire a number was the Toronto Maple Leafs, which retired Ace Bailey's number #6 on February 14, 1934, prior to an All-Star game organized in his honour.

Billy Barilko's #5 jersey is also retired by the Leafs due to his tragic death in a plane crash.

The Leafs historically only retired numbers of distinguished players that have died or had their career shortened due to tragic or catastrophic circumstances while being a member of the team. Irvine (Ace) Bailey (No. 6) and Bill Barilko (No. 5) are the two represented in this category.

The Leafs formally recognized both men, posthumously, with a special ceremony at Maple Leaf Gardens on October 17, 1992 in which family and associates represented each individual.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'm sure I'm not the first to say this: those statures and that display look awesome. Does any other pro sports team in North America have something equivalent to this?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Mark Masters ✔ @markhmasters
Brad Boyes on Dave Keon: "He’s actually a distant relative. He married my dad’s cousin, I think."
1:20 PM - 21 Jan 2016

The head coach is also related(quite distantly) to him.

It has been 48 years since the Toronto Maple Leafs last won the Stanley Cup, but Leafs fans have another reason to believe their Original Six team can bring the Cup home this season. Our researchers have discovered Mike Babcock’s family ties to Toronto’s last Stanley Cup winning team – Babcock is a distant cousin of ice hockey legend, and 1967 Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Dave Keon!
Babcock and Keon’s connection traces back over 350 years ago, to Louis Houde, who was born about 1617 in Manou, in the county of Perche, France.
Houde arrived in “New France” (Quebec) by 1647, marrying Madeleine Boucher – the daughter of Marin Boucher, considered to be one of the founding fathers of Quebec – eight years later.
Madeleine, who was just 13 years old when she married the then 38 year old, had 14 children with Louis.

http://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/...ie-to-torontos-last-stanley-cup-winning-team/

Last edited:

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Yes

In fact the first team to retire a number was the Toronto Maple Leafs, which retired Ace Bailey's number #6 on February 14, 1934, prior to an All-Star game organized in his honour.

Billy Barilko's #5 jersey is also retired by the Leafs due to his tragic death in a plane crash.

Thanks. I saw the banners, didn't know they were retired

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I'm sure I'm not the first to say this: those statures and that display look awesome. Does any other pro sports team in North America have something equivalent to this?

Agreed, the statues look awesome! It's the perfect fit for the Leafs, since they have 100 years of a collection of great players, but no one player that stands out like Bobby Hull in Chicago, Orr in Boston or Rocket in Montreal. Legends Row really does look amazing in person now, let alone when it's completed.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Agreed, the statues look awesome! It's the perfect fit for the Leafs, since they have 100 years of a collection of great players, but no one player that stands out like Bobby Hull in Chicago, Orr in Boston or Rocket in Montreal. Legends Row really does look amazing in person now, let alone when it's completed.

I'll have to take a look at it one day. Where is it located specifically? It's not on my route into the building.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad