Confirmed with Link: Kent Hughes named GM (No political talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Instead of hiring Vincent Lecavalier as advisor...they would be better off having Serge Savard and Larry Robinson as advisors.

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
Curious to see the new director of scouting. That is what matters most now.

2022 does not look a strong draft but maybe we can find 2 NHL players. If we can repeat in 2023 plus development of the ones we have, maybe 2024 could be interesting.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Bottom line: Hughes didn't need the job and didn't lobby for the job because he didn't need it. For that matter, Gorton himself neither needed nor lobbied for the job he was hired for. In both cases, the Habs chased after them because they were the kind of candidates that are in high demand. By contrast, precisely no one was beating down any doors to speak to Briere or Darche. They were free to toss their hats into the ring, but them getting the job was a lot more important to them than it was to Gorton and they only had a chance of getting that job if Hughes had declined it. Then it would have simply been a puppet hire.

There are things that Hughes brings to the table that Gorton needs, respects, and doesn't possess himself. There is nothing, however, that Darche, Briere or Roy bring to the table that Gorton doesn't already possess himself. Hiring one of them would merely be an exercise in redundancy. But Hughes actually has a different set of skills. That's why he is a more valuable and more credible hire than any of the others would have been.

Great post.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
It's always funny to me seeing people say Gainey was awful, Gauthier was awful, Bergevin was awful, but this skilled player? He should have signed here to play for the terrible GM. Shame on them for seeing what we all saw and making a better decision for their career!

Then don't pretend you want to play here if you have no intentions to. Man the f*** up instead of licking everyone in mtl, doing interviews and whatnot to squeeze an extra 500k out of your contract.

If a player says he doesn't want to play here more than that he's got all my respect... Its a rough market.

Its the hypocrite ones I can't stomach

Reactions: Gravity

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Instead of hiring Vincent Lecavalier as advisor...they would be better off having Serge Savard and Larry Robinson as advisors.

Savard is as out of touch as it gets.

I would not be opposed to Robinson.

I don't know why you're so against Lecavalier, who according to Guillaume Lefrancois who had that info, it will be in a minor role.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Lekhonen is 4tj liner material he needs to go. He's easily replaceable

Yeah but you don't have to trade him now. You can easily give him a 1 year contract next summer and trade him next deadline for a pick in a better draft. Not sure he will return a better pick now than next year don't think he's the type of guy a team will want to sign long term for 3+ millions he will likely be immediate help for a team looking to add cheap depth for a playoffs run.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Serge Savard is past his expiration date as a hockey mind.

Larry Robinson probably wouldn't leave St-Louis for the same role here.

Totally disagree...there is no expiration on either Savard or Robinson....both have tremendous knowledge and experience.... they would be great advisors.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Suzuki is nowhere as good as Sakic... shouldn't put them in the same sentence.
I never said he was. I am just saying what they said for a long time about Sakic. He was not vocal enough and not the guy to be captain until he won the cup and nobody brought it up after. Sakic critics were very assasine regarding his introvert personality.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
TSN690 are completely clueless. They would not pre-empt their regular programming, nor displace any scheduled interviews of unrelated stuff rather than tackle the news of the day for the totality of their afternoon show. They had a football guy on, a lengthy interview with Claude Julien, Gallo jokes. Total idiots.

Kudos to 91.9 FM for clearing their deck and making the whole afternoon show about the Habs new GM.
I noticed that as well. I got bored and turned it off. Went to watch the Habs tonight stream on YouTube. I can't stand Gallo's smug voice.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Well I sele Ted Hughes on the previous poll but honestly don't know enough about any of them to have made a very educated pick.
Negotiations....he will know inside n out what player agents are going to leverage. I like the skill set he brings to compliment Gorton.

Only time will tell. But here's to hoping!!!!

Reactions: Gyfu

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Fully expecting Daniel Dore to arrive as chief scout now.

He's a good one, but as an ex-nords fan, the thought of saying his name brings back a bad vibe hehe.

Curious to see if Patrick would accept AGM.
I was like who the f is Daniel Dore. And then i reached ex-nords and ah Daniel Doré lol quite a flop as a player XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad