Kenny Omega: "I'd rather be the legend that never stepped foot in WWE"

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Did we forget Nakamura exists?

Nope.

His charisma is through the roof, but in the ring, Styles, Omega, Tanahashi and Okada are better, with the first two being a tier above atm, IMO.

Seems like a Bollywood star saying you don't need Hollywood and the studios to be a great actor. I stared in 10 top grossing Indian movies and am a legend. There's a billion people in India see!

If he wants to make it on his own thats great. But to be a true legend in NA wrestling you need to make in the WWE. If he is so confident in his skills then bring it to the WWE and show everyone you have it. Cream rises to the top. Punk/DB/AJ all made it to the top and its not because they had great body builder bodies or were excellent in politicking.

I bet he ends up in the WWE within 2 years. The money was probably not what he wanted. But HHH isn't Vince and you can see the talent he goes after. He is playing the anti-WWE card because its what sells him. But if they gave him an AJ contract he jumps across the pacific pretty fast I bet.

Omega is different from many pro wrestlers -- his goal was to always wrestle and forge a legacy in Japan, rather than be in the WWE. Even from young. He said this many times in the past before he was even big in Japan and requested to be released from the WWE (he was in DSW at the time) so he could go to Japan.

Oct 18, 2011
look what they do with all the other top indy talents, can you really blame him? they waste so many of these guys

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
WWE has no problem bringing older people. if he can kill it in japan and the indies its great. i think the door will always be open for him and he knows that.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
look what they do with all the other top indy talents, can you really blame him? they waste so many of these guys

Yup wasted Rollins/Ambrose (I am sure that Million dollars and title reigns they had really sucked for them).

Or that chump Owens so wasted. AJ Styles what a horrible 1st year he had.

If Omega thinks he is a legend come to the WWE and make yourself a legend. The cream rises to the top even in the WWE. Or maybe he knows he can't cut it and would rather be the big fish in Japan. Personally I would love to see him come to the WWE and I think he would get over.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
So much respect for him for this. Why get wasted in WWE and never get a fair shake when you can consistently be one of the main guys in a company you dreamed of working for?

His gimmick would never fly with Vince, everything good about him would be ruined by the WWE machine.

Or that chump Owens so wasted.

You mean the Owens who has been turned into a chicken**** heel and is playing second fiddle to Roman Reigns?

Last edited:

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
So much respect for him for this. Why get wasted in WWE and never get a fair shake when you can consistently be one of the main guys in a company you dreamed of working for?

His gimmick would never fly with Vince, everything good about him would be ruined by the WWE machine.

You mean the Owens who has been turned into a chicken**** heel and is playing second fiddle to Roman Reigns?

Within 2 years of being in the WWE Owens was the NXT champ and the Universal champ. He is main eventing events. Stop being a mark and caring about playing 2nd fiddle. I am sure Owens would be better off scraping buy in the indies wrestling for ROH/PWG etc... Be real Owens is a top star in the WWE making big money and has cemented himself in the upper echelon. I think every single wrestler out there would love to be wasted like Owens is being wasted right now.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
If I were a top star outside the WWE, I'd be hesitant to make the jump as well. Why languish in NXT.

Look at Samoa Joe and Nakamura. They should have been up on the main roster months ago.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
If I were a top star outside the WWE, I'd be hesitant to make the jump as well. Why languish in NXT.

Look at Samoa Joe and Nakamura. They should have been up on the main roster months ago.

The scary thing is that being in NXT is probably best for them. Keep them away from Vince and Dunn.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

On the flipside you earn good money (I am sure those two signed big contracts) and work a taping every 6 weeks, a few tours/house shows and then you can rest. The main roster is a lot more of a grind.

But both those guys will be up soon. Nak needed to get acclimated to NA life and NA audiences. Joe I think was probably happy with being an NXT guy but his contract status changed. Expect him in WWE soon.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
If NXT talent gets called up, i hope they go to SD... Smackdown seems like it's a completely different show. I'm starting to have trust in the main show now...

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

I'd imagine that they both get paid enough that it's not a big deal. In Joe's case, going to Japan may not be as appeal given the travel invovled, it's a big reason why Karl Anderson was fine coming to WWE despite getting buried.

In Nakamura's case, he's got a family still adjusting, but also he went as far as he could go in Japan. He wasn't going to be above Okada and Tanahashi.

I mean, these guys are still treated like stars where they are, and will when they come up.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Nakamura is the only one you can make a case for because he had to move his family to North America and get accustomed to the lifestyle.

There's no excuse for Joe to be down there as long as he has. I get that Triple H wants it to be a third brand, but it SHOULD be a developmental brand first. The only one they've actually developed is Baron Corbin. Everyone else who's graduated from NXT was an indy star.

Isi

Sep 4, 2016

I'd only make the jump if I was a top star. All these ROH guys that are signing and gonna go straight to the middle of the NXT card...I don't get it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'd only make the jump if I was a top star. All these ROH guys that are signing and gonna go straight to the middle of the NXT card...I don't get it.

As it was once explained to me on here, the wrestlers are the biggest marks for themselves. They believe now that they're in WWE, it's up to them to become a star (which we know isn't true) and believe they will. Just like when guys go to TNA, they think they'll be the difference in turning the company around.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Honestly if you're not at least 6'3" you're better off making a name for yourself on the indies to be a big star in WWE, like Finn Balor and AJ Styles.

No way would those guys have been given the time of day if they went straight through the WWE system. Hell, it took AJ taking the wrestling world by storm in Japan before WWE got serious about him.

Like, imagine a Conor McGregor opting to do WWE instead, before his fame, with all the charisma he has coming up through WWE's system or trying to get on their radar? That 5'8", 150-pound guy. No chance. Unless you're big, you may as well go make a name somewhere else.

Last edited:

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Honestly, i think very few would "Succeed" in N.A outside of a guy like Kenny Omega, Adam Cole, Jay Briscoe (it will never happen with Jay... but people would absolutely get behind a guy like that) - Maybe you toss Okada into that mix as well.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Question is are you in the business to be a mark for yourself or to make money?

Sure some of the top guys if they hustle enough and get to the top can make an OK living without WWE. But if you make in the E you are earning way more. Who do you think has a bigger pay Rollins/Ambrose/Owens or Young Bucks/Lethal/Omega. Look at John Cena you think he makes that if he stayed indie?

And once you make it in WWE you up your value. Even a misused low card guy like Cesaro could charge the same if not more than the Bucks or Lethal if they went to some random indie.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Question is are you in the business to be a mark for yourself or to make money?

Sure some of the top guys if they hustle enough and get to the top can make an OK living without WWE. But if you make in the E you are earning way more. Who do you think has a bigger pay Rollins/Ambrose/Owens or Young Bucks/Lethal/Omega. Look at John Cena you think he makes that if he stayed indie?

And once you make it in WWE you up your value. Even a misused low card guy like Cesaro could charge the same if not more than the Bucks or Lethal if they went to some random indie.

They're in the business to make money because they are a mark for themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad