Kenny Omega: "I'd rather be the legend that never stepped foot in WWE"

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Did an interview with Sports Illustrated building up WK11 tomorrow:

“I’m eating, breathing, and s—-ing wrestling right now,†said Omega. “When I’m waking up in bed in the morning and my bones and my joints are aching—and I know that I’m not ‘old’ old, but I know there is a lot of younger talent floating around their roster—I’m wondering, ‘Why in the hell are these guys not rising up? Why are they not doing what it takes to be better? Are they so happy to be a cog in the WWE machine that they’re just happy to be where they are? Are they just satisfied to see WWE as the name on their paycheck every week? Why can I keep getting better and pushing the envelope to have these ‘Matches of the Year,’ but no one else can even come close?’ AJ Styles has been great, but he’s been great forever. Why is there no one else? Sometimes I feel like there is no hope. There are guys that will get good real quick, and then they’ll stay that way—they’re happy to have a job and they’re scared to lose that job on top of it. Everyone is afraid to stand out, everyone is afraid to make history. They just want to be a normal motherf—– in wrestling, being a wrestler, collecting a paycheck, then telling their friends, ‘I’m a ‘WWE Superstar.’ For me, that’s the worst s— ever. “I would rather be the legend that never stepped foot in WWE but was better than every single one of them and did something that none of those guys could do in their prime or could ever do if they left WWE and tried. No one is going to win ten ‘matches of the year’ in Japan, no one could. I’ve already won ten. No one could go from WWE and win one – if you did, you’d have to have a better match than me, and that isn’t going to happen. That’s the kind of pride I bring to my work. AJ is the closest guy who could do it, but I’m talking about their roster as a whole. It’s just not going to happen. That’s not just me saying that because I’m a cocky *****. That’s me saying it as a challenge because I’m pushing the barrier every single day. I’ll take all my matches against WWE’s best matches, I’ll put it up against Ring of Honor’s best matches, or whatever promotion you want, and I guarantee people will be more entertained with my matches than theirs. That is the attitude I need to carry with me. If I lose my confidence, then I’ll lose my way. And yes, I’m saying controversial things, but I’m not purposely saying them just to be controversial. I’m just one of the only guys to be speakin my true feelings.â€

If Kenny never made the jump, I'd be sad because it'd be easier to watch him on WWE TV, but he does not need WWE to forge a legacy and make a killing. He's already doing so in Japan.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
IMO, it's the right attitude. An attitude more should have. That is what Omega is trying to say. To be great, you have to think you are great. Punk had that in him, too. I love it.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I bet if WWE offered him AJ money and no NXT, he'd eventually make the jump. He's so far above NXT that it's not even an option to suggest putting him there.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Omega is probably my favorite wrestler going right now, it sucks that it's harder to watch that guy. Such charisma and he can absolutely hang with anyone in the ring.

He's also got a great mind for the business.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Omega is probably my favorite wrestler going right now, it sucks that it's harder to watch that guy. Such charisma and he can absolutely hang with anyone in the ring.

He's also got a great mind for the business.

Him and AJ are the two bests in the world. They're head and shoulders above the rest imo. The gap between AJ-Omega is much, much smaller than whoever would be number 2 between those two and the next person under them on the list, imo.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
That kinda happens when people keep asking him about it.

It's probably the #1 question asked of him. IMO, he answered it very well. He's telling guys to not be complacent and reach for something great. I think he knows the wrestling industry is trending down and he's doing his part to be interesting and awesome.

If anything, he's reaching out to WWE stars to be great. Challenging them to be great. That's what we need.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

He's driven to outshine it. And he has himself in a position to where he would be dumb to leave because he'll never the be biggest star in WWE.

And he should feel that way. We all know Goldberg is old, Lesnar isn't truly driven to be great, Roman Reigns sucks, etc. He knows he's better than them, we know he's better than them, and he doesn't think he should have to wait in line, should be seen as a super star.

With New Japan's assumed initiative to market to the North American audience more, Omega will be the face of that geared to an audience that will appreciate it more than a typical WWE audience would.

This is not unlike the Young Bucks, they answer to no one, are successful doing it, and know they'd very likely be a side show because they don't fit the preconceived notion that Vince has with tag teams where they are a periphery part of the show.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I bet if WWE offered him AJ money and no NXT, he'd eventually make the jump. He's so far above NXT that it's not even an option to suggest putting him there.

Him and AJ are the two bests in the world. They're head and shoulders above the rest imo. The gap between AJ-Omega is much, much smaller than whoever would be number 2 between those two and the next person under them on the list, imo.

Did we forget Nakamura exists?

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011

Yeah that's true, I'm sure he gets tired of it especially after watching his Bullet Club buddies jump over.

Part of me wants to see Omega in WWE even though Vince would likely ruin him and all the momentum he's built but I also like how he shows that a modern wrestler doesn't need WWE to be a star in the business

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Seems like a Bollywood star saying you don't need Hollywood and the studios to be a great actor. I stared in 10 top grossing Indian movies and am a legend. There's a billion people in India see!

If he wants to make it on his own thats great. But to be a true legend in NA wrestling you need to make in the WWE. If he is so confident in his skills then bring it to the WWE and show everyone you have it. Cream rises to the top. Punk/DB/AJ all made it to the top and its not because they had great body builder bodies or were excellent in politicking.

I bet he ends up in the WWE within 2 years. The money was probably not what he wanted. But HHH isn't Vince and you can see the talent he goes after. He is playing the anti-WWE card because its what sells him. But if they gave him an AJ contract he jumps across the pacific pretty fast I bet.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Meh, even Sting came to the WWE.

He'll probably follow a similar path. Keep saying no, and then eventually come for a short run.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Meh, even Sting came to the WWE.

He'll probably follow a similar path. Keep saying no, and then eventually come for a short run.
Probably closer to the Styles path. Sting was far bigger than Omega is, and can ever be while staying in Japan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad