Kenny Jönsson

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
My favorite Islanders player. Still looking for his Olympic jersey where he won gold.

This sits right above where I sit for the last 13 years.

Kenny-Jonsson-New-York-Islanders-Vintage-Bobblehead-Destroyer.jpg

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
everyone touched on the points I'd make about good ol' KJ .

good soldier through the lean years & if not for the gary roberts cheap shot on him and the tucker knee job on Peca that team might have made it to the finals .

Reactions: dood

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
He was a bright spot on some dark teams. He should get more praise within the organization for it. It is good fans still remember him.

Reactions: Islander Class

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
He wasn't physical at all. In fact, he got his bell run quite a few times and his game started falling off after that. Pretty sure he left the NHL with gas still in the tank because it was too physical for him.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
He wasn't physical at all. In fact, he got his bell run quite a few times and his game started falling off after that. Pretty sure he left the NHL with gas still in the tank because it was too physical for him.

after the lockout the league implemented the less obstruction guidelines and d-men were getting crushed on the forecheck while coaches adjusted so he made a wise move retiring after 700 ish games if he had concerns due to his concussion history .

quiet , conservative kinda guy so he probably banked a lot of nhl paychecks and lived quite comfortably while still making a few bucks in the SHL

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
after the lockout the league implemented the less obstruction guidelines and d-men were getting crushed on the forecheck while coaches adjusted so he made a wise move retiring after 700 ish games if he had concerns due to his concussion history .

quiet , conservative kinda guy so he probably banked a lot of nhl paychecks and lived quite comfortably while still making a few bucks in the SHL

I just remember he was a great defenseman, with bad skin, lol.

Islander Class

Jun 30, 2018
South Carolina
He was a bright spot on some dark teams. He should get more praise within the organization for it. It is good fans still remember him.

Yep. Exactly this. There was a time where KJ and Lapointe were literally the only respectable things about the on-ice product. I remember a late 90s/early 00s poster that one of the papers put out that had all the “star” players in NYC at the time (e.g. Jeter, Brodeur, Kidd, Piazza, Strahan, etc.)- and KJ was the NYI rep (deservedly so).

Anyway- glad he did get to play on some playoff teams before all said and done at least- and I definitely do consider him one of the very best of the “non-Dynasty” Isles...

Last edited:
Reactions: The Lighthouse

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
Fantastic player (just like his brother Jörgen). Had the ability to always be on the level of his opponents. Whether he played in the NHL, Olympics or Allsvenskan. He adapted to the level of each game.

Had a lot left in the tank when he moved home. Played in the Olympics while his team Rögle was in Allsvenskan, still the best player on the national team.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
He was basically super-de Haan. As smooth as CdH but rarely any mental mistakes. An unbelievably sound positional defender. Just as solid as it got. That KJ-Aucoin pairing is still the best Isles D-pairing that I've witnessed during my time.

...f*** you, Gary Roberts.

Reactions: dood and PWJunior

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Is he considered to be one of the best D that has ever played for this team?

What did he bring to the ice? Was he physical?

Just asking out of curiosity.

Kenny-Jonsson-vigs-in-i-Islanders-HOF-pa-lordag.jpg

I recall when he was drafted. Very highly thought of. I think Cliff Fletcher's quote was we got a damn good player. Obviously he was not as good as Potvin one of the all time greats. But he would be on the secondary tier for me. The one year Laviolette coached where the Isles made the playoffs, losing him to a Roberts hit may have turned the tide in that series. Really nice player, and nice to remember him. Hope he is doing well.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad