Kenny Jönsson

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Is he considered to be one of the best D that has ever played for this team?

What did he bring to the ice? Was he physical?

Just asking out of curiosity.

Kenny-Jonsson-vigs-in-i-Islanders-HOF-pa-lordag.jpg

Reactions: The Lighthouse

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Definitely not physical by any means.

He had great positioning and stick work. I would say top 5. He was good and certainly underrated by many fans.

I remember the game he was inducted into the Islanders HoF and he wore a tuxedo. T'was a wee bit awkward.

But a very good defenseman for us. As the previous poster said, not physical but always had good positioning. He was a mainstay on our blueline for 10 years or so. At first I scoffed at him being top 5 Defensemen for the franchise but I can't think of many better. I was always partial to Gerald Diduck but I think Kenny's got him beat....

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
I liked Jonsson a lot and I'm old enough to remember Potvin clearly.

I would say that Jonsson isn't even the best Swede to have played defence for the Islanders. Stefan Persson might have seemed to ride shotgun during the glory years but he was a high quality player.
He might not even be the best Jonsson, as Tomas was very solid as well. That's no slight to Kenny, who was absolutely great for us in some lean years.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Before discounting how good Kenny was, try putting together a list of D that were better, and I'm not talking about guys like Chara who was here breifly and well before breaking out. IMO, he's easily the best D the Islanders had not counting the dynasty era Islanders. Which means he's at least top 10.

Potvin
Persson
Langevin
Morrow
Tomas Jonsson (yes, there was another Jonsson and he was damn good)

After that, I think you would have a real tough time convincing anyone deserves to be above Kenny Jonsson

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Not the best to play for the team (obviously it's Potvin), but yes he's one of the best defensemen they've had. Nice guy, skilled player, playing style reminds me of Lidstrom. Not a good captain though if we're being honest and a little bit on the awkward side.

Reactions: dood

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Before discounting how good Kenny was, try putting together a list of D that were better, and I'm not talking about guys like Chara who was here breifly and well before breaking out. IMO, he's easily the best D the Islanders had not counting the dynasty era Islanders. Which means he's at least top 10.

Potvin
Persson
Langevin
Morrow

After that, I think you would have a real tough time convincing anyone deserves to be above Kenny Jonsson
I agree with all of this, except I might put Kenny Jonsson above Langevin. And good call on Tomas Jonsson! Perhaps the most underrated Islander of all time.

Reactions: dood and Jester9881

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Grammar? No! But O and Ö are pronounced totally different. Kenny is a legend and people should not butcher his name. ;)
I was always a big fan - if he played on a better team he would get a lot more accolades. :nod:

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Is he considered to be one of the best D that has ever played for this team?

What did he bring to the ice? Was he physical?

Just asking out of curiosity.

Kenny-Jonsson-vigs-in-i-Islanders-HOF-pa-lordag.jpg

yes

before my time but I have watched plenty of tape from his era - he was quite good

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY

Potvin
Persson
Langevin
Morrow

This is spot on... Langevin was very good too, very good checker, and one of those stay at home guys.

I think Aucoin might be better than Kenny J, as well.

we had a few guys fizzle that had potential - Norton, Malakhov...

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Very consistently good player, one of the few bright spots on some of the worst teams to wear the jersey. Hard working. Sucks he spent a bunch of those years on garbage teams.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The best defenseman I saw play for the Islanders in all of the post-dynasty days was about 1.5 years of Vladimir Malakhov. Of course, that was very short lived. Two years of Kaspar were damn awesome too.

My problem with Jönsson is that though he was consistent, he got out-shined. I mean, in the best Islander years in the early-aughts Adrian Aucoin was often the more impactful player IMO.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I agree with all of this, except I might put Kenny Jonsson above Langevin. And good call on Tomas Jonsson! Perhaps the most underrated Islander of all time.

By todays standards, I'd absolutely put Kenny above Langevin and maybe even Morrow. I just can't look past the cups, how important those guys were to the team (how well they played their part) and their durability. Ken Morrow rarely scored, but when he did it was always at a huge time (84 playoffs Vs NYR).

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
This is spot on... Langevin was very good too, very good checker, and one of those stay at home guys.

I think Aucoin might be better than Kenny J, as well.

we had a few guys fizzle that had potential - Norton, Malakhov...

Eh.... I loved AA, but lets not forget not only did they play on the same team... they were an actual pairing. Kenny was better than AA without question, and even elevated AA's game. Apart, Kenny was still Kenny and AA wasn't quite the force he was when paired with KJ.

Kenny absolutely deserved some Norris recognition and never got it.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
The best defenseman I saw play for the Islanders in all of the post-dynasty days was about 1.5 years of Vladimir Malakhov. Of course, that was very short lived. Two years of Kaspar were damn awesome too.

My problem with Jönsson is that though he was consistent, he got out-shined. I mean, in the best Islander years in the early-aughts Adrian Aucoin was often the more impactful player IMO.

Aucoin ate minutes like Kessel does hot dogs, but I always thought Jonsson was a tad better. Hamrlik was really solid too...I miss having a good defense :(.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad