Kenny D doing color during 2nd period ?

ajdevjet

we got 3
Aug 20, 2013
In your face !
Im sick of all the "pete sucks, lou sucks, who should be in net" stuff so Im gonna change it up a bit.......I understood why Kenny did the color at the Bruins game coz it was "retro night" and as much as I loved him as a player he is a horrible color guy right now, he wont shut up and I swear he spoke a different language a few times becasue I didnt know what the F he was talking about, rambling on and on and on and on.......thoughts, comments ? please share LOL

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I enjoyed him. he made a couple mistakes but come on, hes done it for all of 2 periods now. his hockey analysis is better than Chico's imo

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
I think he has the potential to be a good commentator. It's not easy to jump in on short notice. His biggest issue is pacing and getting a rhythm down. He talks too slow. However, that should be easy to improve with more experience.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Im sick of all the "pete sucks, lou sucks, who should be in net" stuff so Im gonna change it up a bit.......I understood why Kenny did the color at the Bruins game coz it was "retro night" and as much as I loved him as a player he is a horrible color guy right now, he wont shut up and I swear he spoke a different language a few times becasue I didnt know what the F he was talking about, rambling on and on and on and on.......thoughts, comments ? please share LOL

Looks like a tryout...

I would hate to see Chico go, I really would. I love the guy. But Daneyko offers a very different perspective, one that I enjoy also. I like his old-school mentality of the way the game should be.

But judging Daneyko on two periods of color commentating is like judging a rookie defenseman after a bad game...You gotta give people time to get into flow and get comfortable.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The only thing I didn't like is he talked too long during play. He's got get his comments in quickly and turn it back over to Steve before he's caught rambling for 30 seconds.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Chico is retiring. He hasn't said it officially but it has been rumored since the start of the season that his will be his last season doing color commentary.

The logical replacement has been Ken Daneyko who's slowly worked into the broadcast for years now and is also doing Hockey Night Live.

His 2nd period call are simply an audition to see if he can do it and the chemistry with Steve. I like Ken more doing color than the between periods and ice level reports. He does a more technical analysis than story-time.

In addition, he seems more relaxed being off camera and just lending his voice and insight. Yes he has to work to enunciate and has a slow pace to his delivery but he is usually dead on in what he's saying. Chico stumbles and falters a lot too so this is not a change really on the delivery style.

Former Devil doing color. It's what we're used to and I welcome him for at least next season to see how he does after settling into the role. He's been a little nervous doing the 2nd period calls knowing this is his chance to land the job imo and just needs a little time to get comfy.

I know most don't want Chico to go but with the departure of Doc, I think part of the appeal is gone for Chico working the games and traveling so much. He was one of Doc's biggest fans and honestly Doc knew how to utilize Chico better than Steve does.

Now get Matt Loughlin back to do Deb's job with interviews and we'd be set.

ajdevjet

we got 3
Aug 20, 2013
In your face !
I think he has the potential to be a good commentator. It's not easy to jump in on short notice. His biggest issue is pacing and getting a rhythm down. He talks too slow. However, that should be easy to improve with more experience.

send him to the AHL for more work like they do with the players who dont know what the f they are doing LOL !

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Chico wasn't always accurate or perfect, may have been a homer at times, but that just made who he was even more and it wasn't the serious Jack Edwards or Steggerwald type of innacurate homer - Chico was loveable and always, regardless if it was with Steve or Doc kept the broadcasts in a light, loose environment....and on a personal level, I've ran into Chico dozens of times and is just an awesome person, I'll never forget before a game we ran into him in the parking garage wound up talking for a good 15 minutes until he realized he was late for a sit down with Brent Sutter (then coaching the Flames) :laugh:

A lot of people would be surprised how boring other teams around the leagues feeds are

Dano has solid insights and his personality should fit in well, similar to Chico's joking, fun nature

Can't wait until somebody scores a big OT winner again while Dano is commentating :laugh:

ajdevjet

we got 3
Aug 20, 2013
In your face !
Now get Matt Loughlin back to do Deb's job with interviews and we'd be set.[/QUOTE]

Bring back matt and the maven, better yet bring back gary thorne and peter mcnabb !

ajdevjet

we got 3
Aug 20, 2013
In your face !
I'm gonna miss Chico. He rambles and isn't the best analysis wise, but he's enjoyable to listen to. Seems like a great guy.

he is, met him once at a local ice rink, we talked puck for about 15 minutes and when we were done he said "hey dont you want my autograph" ? holding a picture of himself he was handing out LMAO ! really cool dude

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
Im sick of all the "pete sucks, lou sucks, who should be in net" stuff so Im gonna change it up a bit.......I understood why Kenny did the color at the Bruins game coz it was "retro night" and as much as I loved him as a player he is a horrible color guy right now, he wont shut up and I swear he spoke a different language a few times becasue I didnt know what the F he was talking about, rambling on and on and on and on.....thoughts, comments ? please share LOL

Sounds exactly like Chico

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I wasn't so hot on Dano's in game work for the reasons guys mentioned above. Talking too long and too slow a delivery. But those traits especially the 1st, are needed in studio, so it's not surprising that he carries that over initially. I think he is great in studio so I do really hope he can grow into the new in game work.

And I do like Chico. Keeps it light, very likable but he does bring solid insight.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I'll miss Chico, he's such a great guy. I really liked what I heard from Dano doing it in the Boston game, it sounds like he did alright last night too.

If it's true Chico retires after this season, then bringing in Dano is the perfect transition. From one passionate guy to another.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
May fiancee and I met Chico after a game. There was a line of about 10 to talk to him. I didn't want to take up too much of his time because of the other waiting to talk to him, but the conversation was well over 5 minutes.

He's awesome and you can tell he just likes people. I hope they give him an opportunity to come back from time to time and do color.

I'll miss him and his ramblings a lot.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
If we're bringing people back...

docemrick.jpg

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What puzzles me is since Dano retired he hasn't traveled with the team at all, I guess now he's at a point where he will do that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad