News Article: Ken Holland: Detroit Red Wings to extend Jeff Blashill's deal

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
With a much better roster. Hawks still had Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook, Crawford. And some solid supporting pieces. They aren't a lock to be a contender anymore, but that team struggling to make the playoffs is a joke.

add the Kings to that list. And Philly. Maybe it's a testament to the parity of the league, but the talent on these teams should have pushed them a little further up the standings.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
With a much better roster. Hawks still had Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook, Crawford. And some solid supporting pieces. They aren't a lock to be a contender anymore, but that team struggling to make the playoffs is a joke.
Agreed.

I know Babcock isn't very popular here since leaving but look at the rosters he was getting into the playoffs, particularly the defense. Hell look at what Blashill managed his first year coaching with an over-the-hill Z and Datsyuk as the teams core.

I haven't watched any of the Western Conference really but I'm baffled that the Kings and Hawks are struggling so badly given the franchise players they still have that are relatively young.

Kane is on pace for over 120 points. And oh yeah you have those other guys too, but you only have 6 more points than the Wings??

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
I dont love or hate Blash, but he often has very unique perspective on evaluations of both players and games. He has always come across to me as quite intelligent.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
I'm good with it. Hard to be critical of him considering the circumstances of the roster.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
It's funny you say this. Am I the only one that notices how EVERY SINGLE FRIGGEN PERSON tries to talk like Babcock? The pauses, the sucking in of air, the ums and uhs. Holland, blashill and helm all come to mind from the last week in their interviews. But theres more than just them.

Its not his voice, or his mannerism I mean are like Babcock. Its the whole jumbling of lines, using low scoring players at critical parts of the game because of 'match ups', and the Helm/Abdelkader shaped pegs in first line holes. Those are all things Babcock would do when he had a much more talented roster, and a team that was able to cruise control to the playoffs. It was Babcock's system, and it worked for him. Blash is best when he doesn't try that stuff.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I actually don't mind this.

If his AHL success is any indication, Blashill has a knack for coaching teams who are fast on the transition, have more of a north/south bent, and have effective puck-moving defenseman. We're on our way there with our forwards and I think its shown a lot in our top 6. If we can add depth up front and get Cholowski/Hronek up to speed and confident, then he should have a group that can work for him.

That said, I don't think Blashill is anything special. I think he needs quality players but also a certain type of player/team make-up to be successful. The thing is, that seems to be the case for most coaches. Trotz is really the only guy I think can work with what he's given and be successful at it.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I won't bet on it either way, but it would make me happy if every Canadian team were to be bounced in the first round.
The Leafs fans here often make it excruciatingly difficult, but there's a part of me that's happy that franchise is competitive again. I grew up watching Wendel Clark play the Wings and remember those battles fondly (not that either team was particularly good at the time).

There's also a smaller, more cynical element that if a franchise like the Leaf does well, it'll generate a lot of revenue for the league, the cap will go up and the Wings have more money to throw around.

But mostly I think it's wanting an original 6 team to be competitive enough that I can properly hate them again. :D

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Him and Holland need to go yesterday and it's shocking that people are fine with this.

This organization will always be subpar until the novelty act wears off and it's more about winning and success than loyalty

Reactions: Sparkzuk

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Him and Holland need to go yesterday and it's shocking that people are fine with this.

This organization will always be subpar until the novelty act wears off and it's more about winning and success than loyalty
If they roll out the red carpet with a huge raise and a 5 year extension, I hear you. But based on how several of the kids have developed this year, I don't think a modest 2-3 year extension (while the team clearly doesn't have the talent to really compete yet) is a big deal.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

I keep asking this, and I don't get much response, but maybe someone will answer it: Do you believe this team could be doing better? If the results are Blashill's fault, not Hollands, that means that the current team should be higher in the standings, even competing for a wild card spot. If you think this team is where it should be in the standing than what you're saying is the team, as constructed, is doing as well as it should. That would, if not absolve the coach of blame, at least put most of it on the architect, Holland.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I keep asking this, and I don't get much response, but maybe someone will answer it: Do you believe this team could be doing better? If the results are Blashill's fault, not Hollands, that means that the current team should be higher in the standings, even competing for a wild card spot. If you think this team is where it should be in the standing than what you're saying is the team, as constructed, is doing as well as it should. That would, if not absolve the coach of blame, at least put most of it on the architect, Holland.

I think it's more that some people overestimate just how much of an impact coaches really have on teams records

Blashill is horrible,I would argue he's right up there for worst coach in the league

but realistically there's only so bad the team can be,things kinda naturally seek a certain level of balance and the Wings are currently on pace for around 70 points and a -50 goal differential,that's pretty much the point where they would need exceptionally bad goaltending or injuries to be any worse and they've been about average in both this year

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
He is the tank master

Attachments

• tiger_1_tank_3d_model_c4d_max_obj_fbx_ma_lwo_3ds_3dm_stl_898757_o.jpg
    tiger_1_tank_3d_model_c4d_max_obj_fbx_ma_lwo_3ds_3dm_stl_898757_o.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 4

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

This is very flawed logic as you are essentially completely dismissing the idea of re-building. You cannot put blame on a GM for the "record" of a team that is re-building. Many things you could blame Holland for, this is not one of them.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
This is very flawed logic as you are essentially completely dismissing the idea of re-building. You cannot put blame on a GM for the "record" of a team that is re-building. Many things you could blame Holland for, this is not one of them.

Well no, you can blame him for it, if you were looking for him to do better. However, if you know he is rebuilding, you change expectations.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I think it's more that some people overestimate just how much of an impact coaches really have on teams records

Blashill is horrible,I would argue he's right up there for worst coach in the league

but realistically there's only so bad the team can be,things kinda naturally seek a certain level of balance and the Wings are currently on pace for around 70 points and a -50 goal differential,that's pretty much the point where they would need exceptionally bad goaltending or injuries to be any worse and they've been about average in both this year

What evidence do you have that Blashill is a bad coach? Whenever he’s had a team with a true amount of talent on it, he’s done very well. When he’s got a roster that lacks talent or lacks talented depth, he puts up not great results.

The Wings have not had a team with any real semblance of a competitive roster since the lockout shortened season. After that, Z or Dats was hurt significantly and the talent exodus on the blue line was complete. I fail to see how that is on whoever the coach was.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Well no, you can blame him for it, if you were looking for him to do better. However, if you know he is rebuilding, you change expectations.

Of course, people can do whatever they want, however its flawed logic. To each their own I guess.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

This is for people who want to lay blame somewhere, and don't see it as a rebuild. It's not my logic.

Reactions: kliq

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
What evidence do you have that Blashill is a bad coach? Whenever he’s had a team with a true amount of talent on it, he’s done very well. When he’s got a roster that lacks talent or lacks talented depth, he puts up not great results.

The Wings have not had a team with any real semblance of a competitive roster since the lockout shortened season. After that, Z or Dats was hurt significantly and the talent exodus on the blue line was complete. I fail to see how that is on whoever the coach was.

Good point.

Some people consider Babcock the best coach in hockey, and at the same time Blashill one of the worst.

In Babs last year as coach, the Wings were 43-25-14 (100 points) and they lost in the first round of the playoffs to TB.
In Blashill's first year as coach (the following year), the Wings were 41-30-11 (93 points), and they lost in the first round of the playoffs to TB.

I think that speaks volumes right there as the rosters were very similar. Blashill had Green, but he also had D and Z one year older.

My point.......Blashill is not some moron who is an awful coach like some make him out to be.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
95% seems like a conservative number, I'm sure it's probably more like a 100%. It's fun to read the 'holier than thou" posts by people who probably don't even know how to put ice skates on, or are former imaginary hockey stars like Uncle Rico... who's still waiting for that call from the NFL.

That said, I hope Kenny re-signs Blash. He's been great for the kids! And I think he's a good coach.

Too far in the other direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad