Confirmed with Link: Ken Hitchcock Returning as Head Coach (Wilson, Barnes, Fraser as Asst. Coaches)

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Ugh I'll always dig Hitch for that he did for the team but I don't really want him right now. Doesn't seem like a long term hire to me considering the guy wanted to retire, which means he's more of a "fixer". Would have liked Gallant. Maybe Nill tried and Gallant wasn't interested.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
I'm not too upset by this at all.

Kenny gets the job done for the first few seasons and then he loses the room. Maybe this is what we need?

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I can't believe they've done this. OH yes let's make 2017-2018 the year of nostalgia. Let's re-sign Modano and bring back the throwback jerseys of 98-99 for profit.

I'm mildly annoyed at this. It doesn't seem like forward progress at all.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
I can't believe they've done this. OH yes let's make 2017-2018 the year of nostalgia. Let's re-sign Modano and bring back the throwback jerseys of 98-99 for profit.

I think Nill is of the mind that a rookie head coach won't do any good for this team and a guy like Hitch will help the young guys on defense and the veteran forward group take that next step.

I'll wait and see how this goes. With my connection to Hitch, I'm not too upset by this at all :D

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Not to excited about this either. He's not the worst coach out there, but I'll wait to see what happens before I judge Nill

Really wanted Sutter

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
One thing we always have to consider is that Nill can't just magically pick the coach he wants. The coach has to want to come here. That being said, I don't think Hitch was last on his list by any means, but maybe Sutter really wants to take some time off, or maybe Gallant really wants to coach Vegas, etc.

I also think a lot of this has to do with not missing out on someone and then having to settle for someone else. Imagine if he passed on Hitch to wait for Muller or someone else, and then they went with other teams and then we hired Therrien or Desjardins...

Archgoat

Sep 29, 2011
One thing we always have to consider is that Nill can't just magically pick the coach he wants. The coach has to want to come here. That being said, I don't think Hitch was last on his list by any means, but maybe Sutter really wants to take some time off, or maybe Gallant really wants to coach Vegas, etc.

I also think a lot of this has to do with not missing out on someone and then having to settle for someone else. Imagine if he passed on Hitch to wait for Muller or someone else, and then they went with other teams and then we hired Therrien or Desjardins...

I think that is a big reason why Nill wanted to move fast.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I think Nill is of the mind that a rookie head coach won't do any good for this team and a guy like Hitch will help the young guys on defense and the veteran forward group take that next step.

I'll wait and see how this goes. With my connection to Hitch, I'm not too upset by this at all :D

After Nill bagged on the poor performances from Benn, Seguin, and Spezza, this seems to say Nill thinks he needs someone to whip them into shape. It will be interesting to see how they respond to a coach who doesn't let them treat backchecking like a voluntary activity.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Well, one one of three major offseason goals is done.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015

Lose Ruff and gain Hitch, still not see how this is forward progress?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Well this is not a long-term solution but im fine with it for now.

For a couple of years to get some structure into the defense it could/should be a good thing .

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I'm surprised by how many people are upset by this. There seems to be a lot of overlap between "big problems the Stars have" and "areas of Hitch's expertise."

I would also like to point out that Oshie was traded because he didn't get Hitch's system, this is possibly the strongest argument in favor of anything in history.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
I'm surprised by how many people are upset by this. There seems to be a lot of overlap between "big problems the Stars have" and "areas of Hitch's expertise."

I would also like to point out that Oshie was traded because he didn't get Hitch's system, this is possibly the strongest argument in favor of anything in history.

I for one, wanted Sutter. And to me hiring Hitchcock is simply going back to an era of trapping defensive hockey that I presumed we wanted to get out of thanks to which we loaded the roster with grinders and muckers. I guess we will improve in our defensive play thanks to Hitch's system, we have smart defensive players like Faksa and will likely add more, and since the bar was set so low this season, there's bound to be some points improvement. However, will that be construed as truly progressing towards being a consistent playoff contender? I think not.

I will gladly eat crow if I'm wrong, though.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
From our local paper http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_353ecb48-0a27-56db-a62a-0d7c6f671440.html

As you know, Hitch will do wonders for a season or two, building in structure and discipline, but as always, players eventually grow weary of his tactics and hard handedness. The good news is that you already pretty much know what you can expect from him.

There aren't any players left from his last stint, so maybe he can work his magic for a season or two and then retire. Best of luck and see you in the playoffs next year!

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
After Nill bagged on the poor performances from Benn, Seguin, and Spezza, this seems to say Nill thinks he needs someone to whip them into shape. It will be interesting to see how they respond to a coach who doesn't let them treat backchecking like a voluntary activity.

As much as some slag Modano on here at times, Hitch was one of the reasons we won a Cup and Modano bought into his system. Seguin and Benn are as equally talented as Modano so they are very capable of backcheking and being effective at it too.

I hope this works out well for us.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I for one, wanted Sutter. And to me hiring Hitchcock is simply going back to an era of trapping defensive hockey that I presumed we wanted to get out of thanks to which we loaded the roster with grinders and muckers. I guess we will improve in our defensive play thanks to Hitch's system, we have smart defensive players like Faksa and will likely add more, and since the bar was set so low this season, there's bound to be some points improvement. However, will that be construed as truly progressing towards being a consistent playoff contender? I think not.

I will gladly eat crow if I'm wrong, though.

And the difference between Hitch and Sutter is that Sutter is even more obsessed with size? Or is it that the Kings couldn't score 200 goals this year? Sutter is even more trapping and defensive than Hitch, that's not really a secret, and he's just as abrasive. I don't see why people would complain about one and yet really want the other.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Well this is not a long-term solution but im fine with it for now.

For a couple of years to get some structure into the defense it could/should be a good thing .

Blues fan here in peace. I was of the same mind when we hired Hitch. I was never a fan of his. But the Blues kept giving him 1 year extensions. 5 in total. Every off-season was hoping Hitch would be gone and he wasn't.

Anyways, I saw this and wanted to reply. I hope he works out well for you guys.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
This story takes an odd turn.

[Tweet]852200754119143429[/MEDIA]

Does this mean Hitch only wants one more year?
Does this mean Gaglardi only wants to give Bill one more year?

Who knows.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
And the difference between Hitch and Sutter is that Sutter is even more obsessed with size? Or is it that the Kings couldn't score 200 goals this year? Sutter is even more trapping and defensive than Hitch, that's not really a secret, and he's just as abrasive. I don't see why people would complain about one and yet really want the other.

On what basis is Sutter more obsessed with size than Hitch? Did the Kings specifically trade for a bigger body to fulfill Sutter's demand for size or did he coach what already existed? Were the Blues any smaller than the Kings? Petro, Parayko, Bouwmeester, Backes, Reaves, Berglund, Brodziak,...heck they even dealt the relativey smaller Oshie for a much bigger Troy Brouwer. We have size too, but not being used effectively offensively, which is what Sutter had the Kings doing and won them 2 cups.

Kings goal scoring has suffered because of reasons not limited to Voynov's canning, Williams leaving, and Brown, Gaborik, and even Kopitar not being able to offensively ignite after their extensions.

A big reason why I am not for Hitchcock because it's a short-term fix and not a.long-term one, and has Nill trying to save his job written all over it. This is much like Hicks parading Nieuwendyk with a "Look, it's Mr.1999!!" to save his face and the fanbase yearning for glory ate that up. Yeah, Hitchcock will get us in the playoffs for a couple of seasons that he is coach, but you will likely see this team just as stagnant as the Blues are. Again, I don't mind eating crow if I am wrong, but that's my assessment for now.

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
If I were to guess, I'd say Hitch is a stopgap. Whoever is hired as the assistant coach will take over in a year or two after Hitch implements defense and discipline. If this is the case, I'd be ecstatic if we can snag Muller.

Clardz

Jan 25, 2013
DFW
Can't imagine this makes Nichushkin eager to come back... Some stronger defensive fundamentals overall being instilled could be good, and Hitchcock is only a year removed from taking the Blues to the Conference finals. But my knee jerk reaction when I saw the news this morning was like a lot of people here, "ugh"

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
I see this as a 2 year deal. Maybe the person Nill wants is not available this year. It sounds like this was not necessarily Nills decision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad