Recalled/Assigned: Kellan Lain

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Yeah, Archibald has a lot of potential, but you really got to understand your role.

IMO, a 4th liner who won't fight, is a guy who won't stick up for his teammates. Because you're obviously not skilled to be on the powerplay or top 6. And you won't help the team by scoring. So either lay a huge hit to gain momentum or do something physical.

What Lain did tonight earned him at least another game with the big club. Good for him for not declining the fight with Westgarth.

Archibald has been real strong in backing up his mates in Utica. He has dealt out some real punishment to guys who tried him down here. Many have decided against tangling with him for that reason. Other teams go after him to try him out and they haven't been all that successful. He is also trying to be a good hockey player.

Lain will hold his own and support his mates, but doesn't go looking for trouble. He doesn't relish the tough guy spotlight. He is really working hard to be a better all around hockey player each night. His improvement is noticeable from game to game.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Maybe he gets sent down and never recalled.
He'll be able to claim the title for the shortest career ever at 2 seconds. That's kind of cool.

Not if your lifelong aspiration was to be a hockey player. Get real! Not very cool at all.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Seems like a worthy project player. I was actually reasonably impressed with his skating, but I don't think he played a very good game last night but considering he was likely very nervous we shouldn't be surprised. 2 or 3 poor decisions with the puck in his own end stood out to me, even though he did manage to get a goal. Its clear Gillis' organizational goal since 2011 has been to get bigger and Lain fits that mold.

Might take some time, but the bigger guys usually develop slower. I think at least 1 more full season in the AHL and he may be ready to compete for a bottom 6 spot.

If you read through this thread, that has been my humble opinion. I think he may even need two years.

As to mistakes in his own end, welcome to the Utica Comets. Coach Green does not seem to have a defensive zone scheme. It's more of helter/skelter every man for himself when the pressure is on. That can be fixed at your level and ours too if someone from above gets on the stick and observes what's going on down on the farm.

Wetcoaster

Utica Comets ‏@UticaComets
Congratulations Kellan Lain (@klain19)! (Photo Credit: Derek Leung, Getty Images)
BemURvjCQAEi0D-.png

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
I think you may be in for a surprise.

I agree, there's no way Lain is a deadline throw-away.

With his size, skating, face-off skill, and willingness to stand up for teammates, he seems to be just what Gillis has stated that he's looking for: younger, bigger, quicker, tougher. Then the intangibles: he seems like a great, happy kid and the Canuck players and coaches obviously like him. You know how Bieksa and Tanev are going to feel about Ontario kids who go to relatively obscure colleges and then appear un-hyped on the Canucks' roster :)

Which brings up another point in Lain's favour. It's bad optics for future NCAA free-agent signings to be tossing away a promising guy you courted and recruited only a short while ago. Every competing team would be pointing that out to the next potential signee.

What Lain probably needs are more AHL games but with NHL-level coaching . . . and sadly, maybe the latter will only happen during his call-ups.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
What Lain probably needs are more AHL games but with NHL-level coaching . . . and sadly, maybe the latter will only happen during his call-ups.

AHL games with NHL coaching? That's pretty limiting.. the Canucks only play the Oilers twice more this season. :laugh:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
AHL games with NHL coaching? That's pretty limiting.. the Canucks only play the Oilers twice more this season. :laugh:

I wanted to agree with your first statement as Green certainly won't fit the necessary bill.

Then I finished with the rest of the comment and had to retype this response over and over as a result of the numerous typos I made while trying to stop laughing.

In all seriousness there a few young Comets who would really improve their games with a coach who is good at teaching the pro game to young players. They are hard working good kids who just want to do well, but aren't getting the proper direction. That guy is a reach though isn't he?

Wetcoaster

Vancouver Canucks ‏@VanCanucks
Bieksa on Lain's goal last night - "We're happy for him, I'm a little jealous. It took me 15 games." #Canucks

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Bieksa on Lain's goal last night - "We're happy for him, I'm a little jealous. It took me 15 games." #Canucks

Juice's memory is rusty. He played 39 games in the 05/06 Season recording 0 goals and 6 assists. His first NHL goal came the following year in the home opener (season opener?) vs San Jose. I was there. :D

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Juice's memory is rusty. He played 39 games in the 05/06 Season recording 0 goals and 6 assists. His first NHL goal came the following year in the home opener (season opener?) vs San Jose. I was there. :D

Maybe one too many bumps to the head. LOL

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC

Maybe one too many bumps to the head. LOL

I think he just likes to cover up that it took him a long time to score his 1st goal.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
A big congratulations to Kellen Lain. His first NHL game did not play out the way one would dream. Start #2 was more of that kid growing up dream variety. The game's first goal in his first REAL NHL start. Hard work and a great attitude can carry him a long way. Hope to see him back here in Utica, but for his sake would like to be personally disappointed.

He'll be back in Utica after our injured centers come back. Right now we have nothing but C's out (Henrik, Santorelli, Schroeder) among forwards.

You sir, have hit the nail on the head. Grenier will get the next look.

Hopefully. That would mean they think his play is consistent enough to warrant a look this year.

Wetcoaster

Juice must be a big fan of The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance (one of my top movie picks):

man_who_shot_liberty_valance_poster2.jpg

Ransom Stoddard: You're not going to use the story, Mr. Scott?
Maxwell Scott: No, sir. This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.​

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
He'll be back in Utica after our injured centers come back. Right now we have nothing but C's out (Henrik, Santorelli, Schroeder) among forwards.

I think we both realize that just saying he will be disappointed, but believe he knows he's coming back as well. He'll be working even harder when he returns and with the team starting to pl;ay well again the Comets could use him.

Hopefully. That would mean they think his play is consistent enough to warrant a look this year.

As to Grenier it only figures that if Vancouver is taking a look at its prospects who are doing well that he would be next. Pelletier, Archibald, Ferriero, and Lain have had their turn and based on seasonal output Grenier should be next.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

It was the home opener, 5th game of the season. He has 2 assists as well; his only 3 point game that season.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Anyways, about Lain..

Earlier last season and this season I compared him to a poor man's Chris Gratton - if Lain develops properly.

Gratton in his prime was a high-end 3rd liner who could fill in on the 2nd for short periods of time. He used his size, reach, and toughness to carve out a nice career. I do think he has a bit better offensive touch than Lain, which is why Lain is more of a 4th line guy who could eventually slot up a line in a pinch.

Hard to say if he will stick this year, but hopefully he can pencil in a full-time NHL gig next year.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009
Anyways, about Lain..

Earlier last season and this season I compared him to a poor man's Chris Gratton - if Lain develops properly.

Gratton in his prime was a high-end 3rd liner who could fill in on the 2nd for short periods of time. He used his size, reach, and toughness to carve out a nice career. I do think he has a bit better offensive touch than Lain, which is why Lain is more of a 4th line guy who could eventually slot up a line in a pinch.

Hard to say if he will stick this year, but hopefully he can pencil in a full-time NHL gig next year.

Gratton was a much much better player than Lain will likely ever be. He didn't really pan out in the NHL, but he was much closer to Eric Lindros than Lain is to him (okay, that might be taking it a bit far... but you get my point).

IMO, Lain's upside is as a 4th line shutdown/checking/energy center (although some might call that a 3rd line center, and he might very well be based on minutes played.) He could be hugely valuable, but he needs to improve his skating and awareness -- I would mold him more into a Manny Malholtra type -- in fact, that's exactly what his ceiling is, imo (although he will likely never be the skater or face off man that Malholtra was, which are two reasons he was so valuable - but if he makes up for that with his reach and size, he could be a very valuable player in 2-3 years.)

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Gratton was a much much better player than Lain will likely ever be. He didn't really pan out in the NHL, but he was much closer to Eric Lindros than Lain is to him (okay, that might be taking it a bit far... but you get my point).

IMO, Lain's upside is as a 4th line shutdown/checking/energy center (although some might call that a 3rd line center, and he might very well be based on minutes played.) He could be hugely valuable, but he needs to improve his skating and awareness -- I would mold him more into a Manny Malholtra type -- in fact, that's exactly what his ceiling is, imo (although he will likely never be the skater or face off man that Malholtra was, which are two reasons he was so valuable - but if he makes up for that with his reach and size, he could be a very valuable player in 2-3 years.)

To be fair like Gratton Manny was expected to be more than he became. Not that he didnt carve out a nice career for himself.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Maybe he doesn't like that number, so he includes pre-season games? ... I don't know. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad