Recalled/Assigned: Kellan Lain

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009
To be fair like Gratton Manny was expected to be more than he became. Not that he didnt carve out a nice career for himself.

Yeah, that's true. But it's a bit different as Malholtra was drafted based on his physical abilities and raw potential -- he was never PPG in the OHL and has a career high of somewhere around 35 pts.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
This ...

How many World Championships have the Yankees have won?

Exactly.

Seriously, if the Canucks were going to, uh, copy another idea from a successful sports franchise, why not this one?

It's one that's literally fubar proof.

The Canucks could be the NHL's version of the Yankees with a proper dress protocol.

How good would that be?

As Christian Bale once famously stated, “Are you professional or not?!?!â€

This routine goes over a lot better when you pick ideas to express that aren't patently ridiculous.

Betamax*

What the **** are you talking about?

:laugh::shakehead:

Because, you know, the Yankees success is because of their strict dress code as opposed to, you know, spending a bajillion dollars a year on salaries?

Well, it's just a couple of hundred millions per season not "bajillions." And let's not forget their their recent $155M signing of Japanese pitching sensation, Masahiro Tanaka.

Anyway, Coach Torts talks about players showing "discipline." Having long flowing locks and/or being unshaved (or not at least having it being properly groomed) screams the opposite. I would have stated the same with Kassian if he hadn't cut his hair.

The optics of it just look bad. I mean he kinda looks like the younger but bigger brother of David Booth, for Christ sakes!

That says it all.

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
Well, it's just a couple of hundred millions per season not "bajillions." And let's not forget their their recent $155M signing of Japanese pitching sensation, Masahiro Tanaka.

Anyway, Coach Torts talks about players showing "discipline." Having long flowing locks and/or being unshaved (or not at least having it being properly groomed) screams the opposite. I would have stated the same with Kassian if he hadn't cut his hair.

The optics of it just look bad. I mean he kinda looks like the younger but bigger brother of David Booth, for Christ sakes!

That says it all.

Torts had a beard and a mullet in New York...;)

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI

That says it all.

This has to be a joke...

Choosing to have long hair or a beard has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with discipline.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
5n2j9h.jpg

Well, if I were to say one thing about Lain for that matter would be that the Canucks should IMMEDIATELY follow the Yankees long standing policy when it comes to personal grooming.

re: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/164919-steinbrenners-facial-hair-policy-those-famous-staches

This is your critique? Maybe how he plays hockey should be the first criteria. A large number of NHL hockey players have a very similar appearance.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
A few people were curious, in the Calgary game, why Calgary put Westgarth at centre, when Blair Jones was out there, and is a natural centre.

Go back a few months, and it might be clear why Jones didn't want to face off against Lain, when the intent was to fight.

I remember that incident very clearly. This is how Lain has ended up in most of his fights. He has come to the aid of a defenseless teammate who was wronged.

His fisticuffs have been anything but goonism. I repeat, he is a hockey player first who will drop the gloves only if need be. As his father said, he has never been a fighter and his historical penalty record confirms it.

We love the dedication to the game and his team that Kellen has displayed here in Utica.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

That says it all.

Betamax gonna Betamax

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
I remember that incident very clearly. This is how Lain has ended up in most of his fights. He has come to the aid of a defenseless teammate who was wronged.

His fisticuffs have been anything but goonism. I repeat, he is a hockey player first who will drop the gloves only if need be. As his father said, he has never been a fighter and his historical penalty record confirms it.

We love the dedication to the game and his team that Kellen has displayed here in Utica.

It would be nice if that's how all our fighters were. Capable of playing a regular shift, and being useful to the team, but still more than able to stick up for each other. Considering Lain just started learning to fight this year, he's impressively good at it.

It'll be very interesting to continue watching him develop, as he rounds out his game and finishes filling out physically. The fighting is already better than expected, and will only improve naturally in time (not that it's really his game).

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
A few people were curious, in the Calgary game, why Calgary put Westgarth at centre, when Blair Jones was out there, and is a natural centre.

Go back a few months, and it might be clear why Jones didn't want to face off against Lain, when the intent was to fight.

I remember this fight now, though I didn't connect the dots. Explains it...

Yeah, that's true. But it's a bit different as Malholtra was drafted based on his physical abilities and raw potential -- he was never PPG in the OHL and has a career high of somewhere around 35 pts.

And he managed to be a remarkably consistent 35-pt shutdown forward in his prime. I still marvel at how he was on pace to be right at that total during his 1st year before he got injured while starting so much in his own zone. If Lain turns out anything like Manny I'd be absolutely freaking thrilled.

This is hockey not a fashion show

hf continues to surprise me

Nothing surprises me anymore, knowing HF. :laugh:

I think it's time to stop appeasing this dude. The theme of this discussion is inane. Let it go right here.

Exactly. Just because his flow reminds Betamax of David Booth, who he's obsessed with... :huh:

Last edited:

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
I think Lain has a solid future in front of him. There's lots of room in the NHL for huge centres that are good at faceoffs and at least adequate at skating.

He's only played 50-odd professional games, so he'll probably improve with additional seasoning and getting more used to the pro-pace.

It probably is a benefit that he's never been an top offensive star in juniors and college. He's a bottom six player that knows his role and is unlikely to start trying to play a fancy finesse game.

cootedawg

Oct 22, 2006

That says it all.

27032.jpg

No discipline here.

zetterberg2139df7.jpg

Is Zetterberg's hair acceptable here? He's got quite the rep as a lazy, unprofessional player.

cootedawg

Oct 22, 2006
On the topic of Lain, he's looked pretty solid all things considered so far. With that size it'll definitely be interesting to watch how he develops over the next couple years.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I'm extremely happy with his skating... he's got NHL capable legs and speed!

That was the biggest hurdle to go pro. That's all i was focused on when he was on the ice... heh heh..

Now I'm happy. Size, faceoff ability, skating. That's a good start.

His next hurdle... develop that IQ and toolbox!
Get some experience.. soak in this call up... get down to Utica and work your arse off this offseason.
And then hope to god he can be consistent... something we won't know till he sticks, but can infer by knowing his work ethic (which i also don't know about)... and his work ethic in Utica.

But after these initial 11 mins of play, he looks like a promising option for the 4th line in the future. A nice project. Can't wait to see how he develops...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad