Kekalainen a good GM?

ugrakarma

>/dev/null
Jan 28, 2006
boonies, Finland
Kekäläinen departed to Blue Jackets during a semi-lockout season when Jokerit was (what nine points off?) in SM-liiga regular season lead?

Kekäläinen didn't inherit the circus that was Jokerit from an exactly a position of strength to begin with so there is bit more context behind those results given that Jokerit for example is not even the only Helsinki-based team or contender in the SM-liiga in which teams operate from a position of strength rather than following structures of communism, in pyramid-like fashion.

From a simplistic country rube point of view one could argue that the gm of either HIFK or Jokerit couldn't fail unless totally incompetent. To shine is the thing to aspire for.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
A lot of us in Columbus were starting to have our doubts about him last year. Ownership gave him and Davidson a contract extension. Looks like they were right and we were just impatient.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Phenomenal scout and a fantastic eye for talent.

Questionable negotiator when it comes to trades and re-signings, but nothing unusual for a first time GM. And having to overpay free agents might also be due to Columbus' struggles for legitimacy. Seems to have gotten better at both qualities over time.

Doesn't seem to be afraid of making a big splash by trading big names but at the same time, won't make a bad move just for the sake of doing something. Dubois instead of Puljujarvi might define his career in the end, for good or bad.

All in all, seems like a pretty good GM. It's a results orientated business but sometimes you have to be patient and wait for the bigger picture to emerge.

Big fan of Davidson too. Was hoping he'd come to the Flames during the Feaster nightmare but Burke has been adequate so far.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Actually the trade was Karlsson + 2nd for Wisniewski + 3rd.Which is even better for the Jackets.
That's a strange timing to call Hartnell's contract "an issue".
His biggest mistake was the whole Gaborik saga. The Jackets eventually gave away Brassard, Moore and Dorsette for nothing.

For the picks that became Elvis Merzlikins and Gabe Carlsson. Poor value, for sure, but we'll find out if it's nothing some years down the road.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Because 2 moves which I have defended in personal life and on the cbj forum since I've joined. I would argue he is top 10 based on his work in OTT and STL then the amount of growth the organization has made since he joined.

Non CBJ fans will say he's the worst because he passed on Puljujarvi and took PLD which right now is still to be determined. People thought he was nhl ready but in my viewings which is 2 and I'm being honest about that he hasn't looked like anything spectacular especially with the talent he has around him. If we drafted him we might not have went out and signed Gagnar and he has been so big for the team this year I'd much rather have him shirt term. PLD is to young for the AHL so he is stuck in the worst developmental league and has been on one.of the worst teams in that league still learning C. We can all wait a little to determine if it was bad or not. Jarmo said multiple times on video he thought Werenski was going to be at least as good as Hannifan and did not want to move up and people thought he was crazy. If there is one thing to trust him with its scouting young talent and drafting look at his history with STL and OTT then who he has drafted as a GM here. Let it work out.

The next issue is the Horton non insurance and followed trade for Clarkson. The insurance was almost 100% likely owners decision to not spend money in that season and wait. The followed trade was also a deal the owners wanted because they would rather over pay a guy to sit in the press box then pay a guy to sit at home AND pay a guy to fill his position. It has worked out great for us. Clarkson sadly for him has likely ended his career with back injuries and I don't like the player but being partially disabled because back issues since I was 21 and being 28 now I wish this life on no one. But that being said he is on LTIR he won't effect us in the draft and he isn't taking up important roster spots and he is insured. It has been for us the perfect trade to get out of the Horton contract but fans outside of Columbus either do the understand or don't care to understand he is 0 issue for us. Look on the trade board how often people want to take our best players and disguise it by adding Clarkson and pretend to do us a favor. Any logical human being can realize that.

His trades include:
Saad for AA and Dano
Hartnell for Umberger
Jones for RyJo
Karlson for Wiz

Draft includes:
Wennberg
Dano
Bjorkstrand
Milano
Werenski
Carlsson
Gavrikov (I love this guy so I'll add him)
Nutivaara
PLD
Abramov

Signings to great contracts:
Jones
Murray
Gagnar
Atkinson
Saad

Some people also like to say Foligno and Dubi get over paid. I'd definitely fight that they are not. Dubi might have been signed to a year or 2 long but his cap is fine for a great 2C. Not many people can play someone like Crosby the way he does.

If anyone has a LEGIT reason he's a bad GM I welcome discussion but his positives outweigh the negative by to much to even put a number on it.

Great post. Sounds like he has been doing a good job for the Jackets.

New Leaf

Oct 16, 2008
Yeah let's not let actual results get in the way of a compelling argument like "cos he is". A dude on a forum said that he is one of the worst.

Who you gonna believe? "Friendly factory ", or your lying eyes?
I mean your eyes are showing you unsustainable play but sure okay.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Remains to been seen in a few years. In Finland he was a a bit contradictory character I think. At least people have lots of different opinions. I think he knew how to plan a career and is executing it. Maybe not the most humanly figure in the Finnish hockey business. All people may not love his robotic-like appearance and he certainly knows his value.

At the moment we know he's been a great scout and a team builder in the past. As an NHL GM he's had some rough and some great times. Must wait few years to understand what part of it is pure luck and what part is a result of a hard work. Although looking good right now.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
I mean your eyes are showing you unsustainable play but sure okay.

It's logical to not change an opinion on Jarmo's ranking as a GM based on 30 games but it's not fair to call the CBJ play unsustainable just because they've made a complete turnaround from last season. Nothing suggests they will not be able to keep the pace for the rest of the season.

deathtouchtrample

May 5, 2014
No NHL gms are good. Good pro sports teams executives go to leagues where they make more money and their decisions actually matter. Too much variance. This is like asking if the best roulette player in the world is a good poker player.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
From a simplistic country rube point of view one could argue that the gm of either HIFK or Jokerit couldn't fail unless totally incompetent. To shine is the thing to aspire for.

Yet HIFK and Jokerit director of sports have probably failed more this decade alone than established a well-founded path for their teams. You cannot also forget the strength of Kärpät or the continuum at Tappara or even former dynasties such as TPS so it ain't like SM-liiga is not widely contested. Kekäläinen at least departed in time of the best possible success, few years into a five year project.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
But still i don't see PLD crowing to that 60pts man. I think his sailing is something like 20-30 pts. If team is really that trash it ca cost harms in his improve

Before that development Pulju will probably drop these 20-40 pts season what i think is best what PLD can do at his prime.

You really don't think PLD's ceiling is 20-30 pts..

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I think he's a hell of a scout/talent evaluator. Not the best with contracts and cap management, ideally CBJ has an assistant GM who takes care of most of that stuff for him so he can do what he does best, find talent.

I was shocked that he passed on Puljujarvi though, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since he's such a good scout and likely has seen Puljujarvi play more than any other GM had prior to the draft.

Yup he's an incredible scouting talent. Knows how to grow talent and find them in the middle of nowhere.

Contracts are an issue though... they seem to be getting better at that though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00